Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Unable to preserve hard links. Why? Post 302448744 by Corona688 on Friday 27th of August 2010 01:26:23 AM
Old 08-27-2010
You're trying to create hardlinks between different filesystems!?

That won't ever work, period. You'll have to find a different way to do whatever you're trying to do.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

links: (soft, hard? symbolic??) inode

Hi, what is link? and soft link? how about hard one and symbolic link. and inode. i get confuse about this links. could anyone help me with full explainsion? thks Gusla (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gusla
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

links.... soft or hard.. not sure?

hi, i am in a directory, have 2 files as below then do a ls -l gives the below lrwxrwxrwx 1 root system 23 Mar 08 2001 filea -> /adir/filea lrwxrwxrwx 1 root system 23 Mar 08 2001 filea -> /adir/fileb now, when i do a cd /adir, the system said, adir not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

hard links in unix

hi i have a hardlink how can i find the source of it (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jpriyank
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting Symbolic and/or Hard links

From what I understand a symbolic link is alot like a shortcut where it points to another file. if the original file is deleted the symbolic link is rendered useless but a symbolic link can be deleted without any problem. A hard link is like a copy of the file itself but pointing to the same... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cue
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hard links for directories.

Hard links for directories are not permitted by default. But in some flavor of Unix, super user can create hard links for directories by some other way? Is that true? Is it possible in latest version of BSD or other unix? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbala
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hard Links Help

Ksh newbie here, so please bear with me. I'm currently writing a script that searches through a directory and displays files with multiple hard links. The way I have it set up, is that it displays the i-node number and then each of the link names. In addition to this, I need to know if there... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Unknown50862
7 Replies

7. Solaris

Hard Links and Soft or Sym links

When loooking at files in a directory using ls, how can I tell if I have a hard link or soft link? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Harleyrci
11 Replies

8. AIX

List all the soft links and hard links

Hi I'm logged in as root in an aix box Which command will list all the soft links and hard links present in the server ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple example for soft and hard links

Hai, give me a simple example for soft and hard links. this will work for soft link ?? ln -s (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ramesh M
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Timestamp change for hard and soft links

Hi team, i am writing a purge script to delete softlinks and hardlinks on linux system which are 3/10/30 days old. To test the script i need to create links with old timestamp, i am able to cange timestamp for files but not for links. i tried touch -h option but this option is not available on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Satyak
1 Replies
EDQUOTA(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						EDQUOTA(8)

NAME
edquota -- edit user quotas SYNOPSIS
edquota [-u] [-p proto-username] username ... edquota -g [-p proto-groupname] groupname ... edquota -t [-u] edquota -t -g DESCRIPTION
Edquota is a quota editor. By default, or if the -u flag is specified, one or more users may be specified on the command line. For each user a temporary file is created with an ASCII representation of the current disk quotas for that user. The list of filesystems with user quotas is determined by scanning the mounted filesystems for a .quota.ops.user file located at its root. An editor is invoked on the ASCII file. The editor invoked is vi(1) unless the environment variable EDITOR specifies otherwise. The quotas may then be modified, new quotas added, etc. Setting a quota to zero indicates that no quota should be imposed. Setting a hard limit to one indicates that no allocations should be permitted. Setting a soft limit to one with a hard limit of zero indicates that alloca- tions should be permitted on only a temporary basis (see -t below). The current usage information in the file is for informational purposes; only the hard and soft limits can be changed. On leaving the editor, edquota reads the temporary file and modifies the binary quota files to reflect the changes made. The binary quota file, .quota.user is stored at the root of the filesystem. The default filename and root location for the user quotas cannot be overridden. If the -p flag is specified, edquota will duplicate the quotas of the prototypical user specified for each user specified. This is the nor- mal mechanism used to initialize quotas for groups of users. If the -g flag is specified, edquota is invoked to edit the quotas of one or more groups specified on the command line. The list of filesys- tems with group quotas is determined by scanning the mounted filesystems for a .quota.ops.group file located at its root. Similarly, the binary quota file, .quota.group is stored at the root of the filesystem. The default filename and root location for group quotas cannot be overridden. The -p flag can be specified in conjunction with the -g flag to specify a prototypical group to be duplicated among the listed set of groups. Users are permitted to exceed their soft limits for a grace period that may be specified per filesystem. Once the grace period has expired, the soft limit is enforced as a hard limit. The default grace period for a filesystem is specified in /usr/include/sys/quota.h. The -t flag can be used to change the grace period. By default, or when invoked with the -u flag, the grace period is set for each filesystem with a .quota.ops.user file located at its root. When invoked with the -g flag, the grace period is set for each filesystem with a .quota.ops.group file located at its root. The grace period may be specified in days, hours, minutes, or seconds. Setting a grace period to zero indicates that the default grace period should be imposed. Setting a grace period to one second indicates that no grace period should be granted. Only the super-user may edit quotas. FILES
Each of the following quota files is located at the root of the mounted filesystem. The mount option files are empty files whose existence indicates that quotas are to be enabled for that filesystem. The binary data files will be created by edquota, if they don't already exist. .quota.user data file containing user quotas .quota.group data file containing group quotas .quota.ops.user mount option file used to enable user quotas .quota.ops.group mount option file used to enable group quotas SEE ALSO
quota(1), quotactl(2), quotacheck(8), quotaon(8), repquota(8) DIAGNOSTICS
Various messages about inaccessible files; self-explanatory. BSD
June 1, 2019 BSD