Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) A program crashed my iMac so bad that it could not start up. Post 302448713 by ASL123 on Thursday 26th of August 2010 06:33:20 PM
Old 08-26-2010
Thanks very much for this post.

This was what I was looking for.

A clear answer saying that a program cannot crash an iMac, so it cannot boot afterwards.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I start a program when I start my Computer?

I'm running MAC OS X and I'm wondering how I start 'nixey programs (not normal apps) on startup? Things like the dnet client and hxd Hotline Server. Anyone know? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: l008com
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

start a program with other user's permission

I have some of programs in unix system which are to started with one_user say "xxxx". I have sudo permission if i start these programs with sudo it shows root permission. But i want these programs permession should be "xxxx". I tried "su user_name -c Program_name" but it is not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanthus2002
3 Replies

3. Programming

How to start a process in linux using C program??

I have a set of attributes such as group id,group name,etc related to a linux process. Iwant to know how to start a process in linux using C program.Plz do help me. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vigneshinbox
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Start program in background (or start crontab ahead of time)

Hey! I'm working on a script that will add a user, create some configfiles, and add a crontab for the user. The crontab looks like the following: @reboot /home/user/program config.conf & I would like for this process to start at the end of my script under the corresponding username by... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: noratx
0 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

little start c program

hello, i wil make the next mission: give how many chambers in a constant number. use an array which chamber is free and count how many chamber there are free. make also something to test I don't now how to start. I need an little example so i can make the mission thank you (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: wouter88
10 Replies

6. Fedora

[Solved] Unable to start Matlab program

hello everyone, I have Matlab installed on Fedora 16. I tried running it by simply typing on terminal: $ matlabBut it returned the follwoing error: --- can anyone suggest a solution? cheers, peter ---------- Post updated at 10:57 PM ---------- Previous update was at 10:54 PM ----------... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: peter_071
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to start program and answer prompts?

I'm trying to write a script the simplifies the execution of a program: After starting the program (sh ~/.mfix/model/make_mfix) I am prompted four times for options: Do you need SMP version? (y/n) Do you need DMP version? (y/n) Do you need debug version? (y/n) Force re-compilation of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lanew
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Start program depending on processor workload

Hi community, I'm looking for a script/code which starts a shell script with a MPI process depending on: a) the processor workload, i.e. if the workload falls below a certain limit b) alternatively if the previous process finished, e.g. if a process ID disappears I need this for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: heunigreenfreak
3 Replies
DUMPON(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						 DUMPON(8)

NAME
dumpon -- specify a device for crash dumps SYNOPSIS
dumpon [-v] special_file dumpon [-v] off dumpon [-v] -l DESCRIPTION
The dumpon utility is used to specify a device where the kernel can save a crash dump in the case of a panic. Calls to dumpon normally occur from the system multi-user initialization file /etc/rc, controlled by the ``dumpdev'' variable in the boot time configuration file /etc/rc.conf. The default type of kernel crash dump is the mini crash dump. Mini crash dumps hold only memory pages in use by the kernel. Alternatively, full memory dumps can be enabled by setting the debug.minidump sysctl(8) variable to 0. For systems using full memory dumps, the size of the specified dump device must be at least the size of physical memory. Even though an additional 64 kB header is added to the dump, the BIOS for a platform typically holds back some memory, so it is not usually necessary to size the dump device larger than the actual amount of RAM available in the machine. Also, when using full memory dumps, the dumpon utility will refuse to enable a dump device which is smaller than the total amount of physical memory as reported by the hw.physmem sysctl(8) vari- able. The -l flag causes dumpon to print the current dump device or _PATH_DEVNULL ("/dev/null") if no device is configured. The -v flag causes dumpon to be verbose about its activity. IMPLEMENTATION NOTES
Since a panic(9) condition may occur in a situation where the kernel cannot trust its internal representation of the state of any given file system, one of the system swap devices, and not a device containing a file system, should be used as the dump device. The dumpon utility operates by opening special_file and making a DIOCSKERNELDUMP ioctl(2) request on it to save kernel crash dumps. If special_file is the text string: ``off'', dumpon performs a DIOCSKERNELDUMP ioctl(2) on /dev/null and thus instructs the kernel not to save crash dumps. Since dumpon cannot be used during kernel initialization, the dumpdev variable of loader(8) must be used to enable dumps for system panics which occur during kernel initialization. FILES
/dev/{ada,da}?s?b standard swap areas /etc/rc.conf boot-time system configuration SEE ALSO
fstab(5), rc.conf(5), config(8), init(8), loader(8), rc(8), savecore(8), swapon(8), panic(9) HISTORY
The dumpon utility appeared in FreeBSD 2.1. BUGS
Because the file system layer is already dead by the time a crash dump is taken, it is not possible to send crash dumps directly to a file. BSD
October 8, 2014 BSD