Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) A program crashed my iMac so bad that it could not start up. Post 302448712 by Corona688 on Thursday 26th of August 2010 06:21:03 PM
Old 08-26-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL123
The harddrive was not damaged.
And they tested this how?
Quote:
In fact it is quite new (< year).
That doesn't mean anything. I and others have had drives that were faulty straight out of the package.
Quote:
My purpose for posting this thread, was solely to see if someone could verify that it is not possible for a program (when crashing) to damage the UNIX installation.

I am not an UNIX expert myself, but I know that UNIX is regarded as a secure operating system.
OSX's boot files are quite well protected, a user-mode program wouldn't have the ability to trash any of them without jumping through several hoops and requiring administrator passwords. I think the game crashing was a symptom, rather than the cause. A crash inside a driver could do this, though.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I start a program when I start my Computer?

I'm running MAC OS X and I'm wondering how I start 'nixey programs (not normal apps) on startup? Things like the dnet client and hxd Hotline Server. Anyone know? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: l008com
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

start a program with other user's permission

I have some of programs in unix system which are to started with one_user say "xxxx". I have sudo permission if i start these programs with sudo it shows root permission. But i want these programs permession should be "xxxx". I tried "su user_name -c Program_name" but it is not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanthus2002
3 Replies

3. Programming

How to start a process in linux using C program??

I have a set of attributes such as group id,group name,etc related to a linux process. Iwant to know how to start a process in linux using C program.Plz do help me. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vigneshinbox
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Start program in background (or start crontab ahead of time)

Hey! I'm working on a script that will add a user, create some configfiles, and add a crontab for the user. The crontab looks like the following: @reboot /home/user/program config.conf & I would like for this process to start at the end of my script under the corresponding username by... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: noratx
0 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

little start c program

hello, i wil make the next mission: give how many chambers in a constant number. use an array which chamber is free and count how many chamber there are free. make also something to test I don't now how to start. I need an little example so i can make the mission thank you (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: wouter88
10 Replies

6. Fedora

[Solved] Unable to start Matlab program

hello everyone, I have Matlab installed on Fedora 16. I tried running it by simply typing on terminal: $ matlabBut it returned the follwoing error: --- can anyone suggest a solution? cheers, peter ---------- Post updated at 10:57 PM ---------- Previous update was at 10:54 PM ----------... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: peter_071
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to start program and answer prompts?

I'm trying to write a script the simplifies the execution of a program: After starting the program (sh ~/.mfix/model/make_mfix) I am prompted four times for options: Do you need SMP version? (y/n) Do you need DMP version? (y/n) Do you need debug version? (y/n) Force re-compilation of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lanew
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Start program depending on processor workload

Hi community, I'm looking for a script/code which starts a shell script with a MPI process depending on: a) the processor workload, i.e. if the workload falls below a certain limit b) alternatively if the previous process finished, e.g. if a process ID disappears I need this for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: heunigreenfreak
3 Replies
PPI::Token::QuoteLike(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				  PPI::Token::QuoteLike(3)

NAME
PPI::Token::QuoteLike - Quote-like operator abstract base class INHERITANCE
PPI::Token::QuoteLike isa PPI::Token isa PPI::Element DESCRIPTION
The "PPI::Token::QuoteLike" class is never instantiated, and simply provides a common abstract base class for the five quote-like operator classes. In PPI, a "quote-like" is the set of quote-like things that exclude the string quotes and regular expressions. The subclasses of "PPI::Token::QuoteLike" are: qw{} - PPI::Token::QuoteLike::Words `` - PPI::Token::QuoteLike::Backtick qx{} - PPI::Token::QuoteLike::Command qr// - PPI::Token::QuoteLike::Regexp <FOO> - PPI::Token::QuoteLike::Readline The names are hopefully obvious enough not to have to explain what each class is. See their pages for more details. You may note that the backtick and command quote-like are treated separately, even though they do the same thing. This is intentional, as the inherit from and are processed by two different parts of the PPI's quote engine. SUPPORT
See the support section in the main module. AUTHOR
Adam Kennedy <adamk@cpan.org> COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2001 - 2011 Adam Kennedy. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of the license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.16.3 2011-02-26 PPI::Token::QuoteLike(3)