Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Move files & folder structure Post 302448699 by ygemici on Thursday 26th of August 2010 05:05:04 PM
Old 08-26-2010
Code:
# cp -a /home/temp/test/ /home/temp/work/ /home/temp/complete/

a --archive mode so means dpR

d-> not follow symbolic links
p-> preserve (mode,ownership,timestamps)
R-> copy directories recursively
This User Gave Thanks to ygemici For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

move files and retain subdir structure

hi: I have some files like this folder1/recording1.mp3 folder1/docs/budget.doc folder2/others/misc.mp3 folder3/others/notes.doc all this folders and files are under the mp3 folder. I would like to move just the mp3s to another folder but retain the subdir structure i have. So if... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jason7
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Management: How do I move all JPGS in a folder structure to a single folder?

This is the file structure: DESKTOP/Root of Photo Folders/Folder1qweqwasdfsd/*jpg DESKTOP/Root of Photo Folders/Folder2asdasdasd/*jpg DESKTOP/Root of Photo Folders/Folder3asdadfhgasdf/*jpg DESKTOP/Root of Photo Folders/Folder4qwetwdfsdfg/*jpg DESKTOP/Root of Photo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: guptaxpn
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to Zip files three years old or longer but leave folder structure intact

Hi all, Hello everyone, my first post here :). I tried to search the forum but I didn't find exactly what I was looking for... I need to zip/tar files across entire filesystem which are more 3+ years old but leave folder structure intact. If the script locates tar/zip files they are more... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sashruby
1 Replies

4. Linux

Create folder by script & move files in it

Hi Team, I have over 1 lakh pdf files. I want to create folders like Disk-1, Disk-2 ..... & want to move 3000 pdfs per folder. Can i do it by script? Please help me. Thanks & Regards Parag Nehete (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: paragnehete
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying files from various folders to similar folder structure in another location

Hi, I need to write a script the has to copy the files from folders and subfolders to the same folder structure located in another location. Ex: mainfolder1 file1,file2,file3 subfolder1(file1,etc) subfolder2(file1,etc) to another folder location of same folder structure. rsync is not... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raji Perumal
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move files from Space Folder to other folder

I want to move a folder with spaces from one folder to another. I have two folders like this, 1).RT_032-222 -4444-01/ 2). RT_032-555 -7777-01/ I want to move files from 2 to 1 through shell script.Here I want to assign this like a user defined variable like as Source branch... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kannansoft1985
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to move the files older than x days with similar directory structure?

Hello, I need to move all the files inside /XYZ (has multi-depth sub directories) that are older than 14 days to/ABC directory but with retaining the SAME directory structure. for example: /XYZ/1/2/3/A/b.txt should be moved as /ABC/1/2/3/A/b.txt I know about find /XYZ -type f -mtime +14... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parallel move keeping folder structure along with files in it

The below will move all the files in the directory dir to the destination using parallel and create a log, however will not keep them in the directory. I have tried mkdir -p but that does not seem to work or at least I can not seem to get it (as it deletes others files when I use it). What is the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to move files and Creation of folder structure

We are receiving few zipped files in one location say : apple/oranges/incoming All .zip files are placed here in incoming folder. So few of the files are password encrypted. There are only 10 zipped files, so we are planning to create a script which will pick that zip file from incoming... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sidhant
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Request for Shell script to move files from Subfolder to Parent folder and delete sub folder

Hi Team, I am new to shell script and there is a requirement where files should be moved from Subfolder to parent folder. Eg: parent folder --> /Interface/data/test/IN Sub folder -->/Interface/data/test/IN/Invoice20180607233338 Subfolder will be always with timestamp... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: srivarun15
6 Replies
CP(1)								   User Commands							     CP(1)

NAME
cp - copy files and directories SYNOPSIS
cp [OPTION]... [-T] SOURCE DEST cp [OPTION]... SOURCE... DIRECTORY cp [OPTION]... -t DIRECTORY SOURCE... DESCRIPTION
Copy SOURCE to DEST, or multiple SOURCE(s) to DIRECTORY. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -a, --archive same as -dR --preserve=all --backup[=CONTROL] make a backup of each existing destination file -b like --backup but does not accept an argument --copy-contents copy contents of special files when recursive -d same as --no-dereference --preserve=links -f, --force if an existing destination file cannot be opened, remove it and try again (redundant if the -n option is used) -i, --interactive prompt before overwrite (overrides a previous -n option) -H follow command-line symbolic links in SOURCE -l, --link link files instead of copying -L, --dereference always follow symbolic links in SOURCE -n, --no-clobber do not overwrite an existing file (overrides a previous -i option) -P, --no-dereference never follow symbolic links in SOURCE -p same as --preserve=mode,ownership,timestamps --preserve[=ATTR_LIST] preserve the specified attributes (default: mode,ownership,timestamps), if possible additional attributes: context, links, xattr, all --no-preserve=ATTR_LIST don't preserve the specified attributes --parents use full source file name under DIRECTORY -R, -r, --recursive copy directories recursively --remove-destination remove each existing destination file before attempting to open it (contrast with --force) --sparse=WHEN control creation of sparse files --strip-trailing-slashes remove any trailing slashes from each SOURCE argument -s, --symbolic-link make symbolic links instead of copying -S, --suffix=SUFFIX override the usual backup suffix -t, --target-directory=DIRECTORY copy all SOURCE arguments into DIRECTORY -T, --no-target-directory treat DEST as a normal file -u, --update copy only when the SOURCE file is newer than the destination file or when the destination file is missing -v, --verbose explain what is being done -x, --one-file-system stay on this file system --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit By default, sparse SOURCE files are detected by a crude heuristic and the corresponding DEST file is made sparse as well. That is the behavior selected by --sparse=auto. Specify --sparse=always to create a sparse DEST file whenever the SOURCE file contains a long enough sequence of zero bytes. Use --sparse=never to inhibit creation of sparse files. The backup suffix is `~', unless set with --suffix or SIMPLE_BACKUP_SUFFIX. The version control method may be selected via the --backup option or through the VERSION_CONTROL environment variable. Here are the values: none, off never make backups (even if --backup is given) numbered, t make numbered backups existing, nil numbered if numbered backups exist, simple otherwise simple, never always make simple backups As a special case, cp makes a backup of SOURCE when the force and backup options are given and SOURCE and DEST are the same name for an existing, regular file. AUTHOR
Written by Torbjorn Granlund, David MacKenzie, and Jim Meyering. REPORTING BUGS
Report cp bugs to bug-coreutils@gnu.org GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2009 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for cp is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and cp programs are properly installed at your site, the com- mand info coreutils 'cp invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 7.1 July 2010 CP(1)