Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) A program crashed my iMac so bad that it could not start up. Post 302448673 by ASL123 on Thursday 26th of August 2010 03:40:35 PM
Old 08-26-2010
The harddrive was not damaged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlarkin
I highly doubt the game caused the issue. It was most likely file system corruption or perhaps early signs of failing hardware, ie a bad hard drive. OS X is based off of NeXT which is BSD based Unix. If you installed a game, most likely that game was self contained and it would have to have your admin credentials to modify any of the system level stuff.
The harddrive was not damaged. In fact it is quite new (< year).

---------- Post updated at 02:40 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:32 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by methyl
iMac internal hard discs are liable to fail mechanically or corrupt at random.
Local Apple repairer said that total disc failure after only 3 years use was common.

Always take a backup and make sure that you keep your all your install CDs safe.
My purpose for posting this thread, was solely to see if someone could verify that it is not possible for a program (when crashing) to damage the UNIX installation.

I am not an UNIX expert myself, but I know that UNIX is regarded as a secure operating system.

My harddisk is quite new, and I have had no sign before or afterwards that there is something wrong with it.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I start a program when I start my Computer?

I'm running MAC OS X and I'm wondering how I start 'nixey programs (not normal apps) on startup? Things like the dnet client and hxd Hotline Server. Anyone know? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: l008com
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

start a program with other user's permission

I have some of programs in unix system which are to started with one_user say "xxxx". I have sudo permission if i start these programs with sudo it shows root permission. But i want these programs permession should be "xxxx". I tried "su user_name -c Program_name" but it is not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanthus2002
3 Replies

3. Programming

How to start a process in linux using C program??

I have a set of attributes such as group id,group name,etc related to a linux process. Iwant to know how to start a process in linux using C program.Plz do help me. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vigneshinbox
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Start program in background (or start crontab ahead of time)

Hey! I'm working on a script that will add a user, create some configfiles, and add a crontab for the user. The crontab looks like the following: @reboot /home/user/program config.conf & I would like for this process to start at the end of my script under the corresponding username by... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: noratx
0 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

little start c program

hello, i wil make the next mission: give how many chambers in a constant number. use an array which chamber is free and count how many chamber there are free. make also something to test I don't now how to start. I need an little example so i can make the mission thank you (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: wouter88
10 Replies

6. Fedora

[Solved] Unable to start Matlab program

hello everyone, I have Matlab installed on Fedora 16. I tried running it by simply typing on terminal: $ matlabBut it returned the follwoing error: --- can anyone suggest a solution? cheers, peter ---------- Post updated at 10:57 PM ---------- Previous update was at 10:54 PM ----------... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: peter_071
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to start program and answer prompts?

I'm trying to write a script the simplifies the execution of a program: After starting the program (sh ~/.mfix/model/make_mfix) I am prompted four times for options: Do you need SMP version? (y/n) Do you need DMP version? (y/n) Do you need debug version? (y/n) Force re-compilation of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lanew
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Start program depending on processor workload

Hi community, I'm looking for a script/code which starts a shell script with a MPI process depending on: a) the processor workload, i.e. if the workload falls below a certain limit b) alternatively if the previous process finished, e.g. if a process ID disappears I need this for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: heunigreenfreak
3 Replies
TRIG(3) 						User Contributed Perl Documentation						   TRIG(3)

NAME
PDL::GSLSF::TRIG - PDL interface to GSL Special Functions DESCRIPTION
This is an interface to the Special Function package present in the GNU Scientific Library. SYNOPSIS
Functions FUNCTIONS
gsl_sf_sin Signature: (double x(); double [o]y(); double [o]e()) Sin(x) with GSL semantics. gsl_sf_sin does not process bad values. It will set the bad-value flag of all output piddles if the flag is set for any of the input piddles. gsl_sf_cos Signature: (double x(); double [o]y(); double [o]e()) Cos(x) with GSL semantics. gsl_sf_cos does not process bad values. It will set the bad-value flag of all output piddles if the flag is set for any of the input piddles. gsl_sf_hypot Signature: (double x(); double xx(); double [o]y(); double [o]e()) Hypot(x,xx) with GSL semantics. gsl_sf_hypot does not process bad values. It will set the bad-value flag of all output piddles if the flag is set for any of the input piddles. gsl_sf_complex_sin Signature: (double zr(); double zi(); double [o]x(); double [o]y(); double [o]xe(); double [o]ye()) Sin(z) for complex z gsl_sf_complex_sin does not process bad values. It will set the bad-value flag of all output piddles if the flag is set for any of the input piddles. gsl_sf_complex_cos Signature: (double zr(); double zi(); double [o]x(); double [o]y(); double [o]xe(); double [o]ye()) Cos(z) for complex z gsl_sf_complex_cos does not process bad values. It will set the bad-value flag of all output piddles if the flag is set for any of the input piddles. gsl_sf_complex_logsin Signature: (double zr(); double zi(); double [o]x(); double [o]y(); double [o]xe(); double [o]ye()) Log(Sin(z)) for complex z gsl_sf_complex_logsin does not process bad values. It will set the bad-value flag of all output piddles if the flag is set for any of the input piddles. gsl_sf_lnsinh Signature: (double x(); double [o]y(); double [o]e()) Log(Sinh(x)) with GSL semantics. gsl_sf_lnsinh does not process bad values. It will set the bad-value flag of all output piddles if the flag is set for any of the input piddles. gsl_sf_lncosh Signature: (double x(); double [o]y(); double [o]e()) Log(Cos(x)) with GSL semantics. gsl_sf_lncosh does not process bad values. It will set the bad-value flag of all output piddles if the flag is set for any of the input piddles. gsl_sf_polar_to_rect Signature: (double r(); double t(); double [o]x(); double [o]y(); double [o]xe(); double [o]ye()) Convert polar to rectlinear coordinates. gsl_sf_polar_to_rect does not process bad values. It will set the bad-value flag of all output piddles if the flag is set for any of the input piddles. gsl_sf_rect_to_polar Signature: (double x(); double y(); double [o]r(); double [o]t(); double [o]re(); double [o]te()) Convert rectlinear to polar coordinates. return argument in range [-pi, pi]. gsl_sf_rect_to_polar does not process bad values. It will set the bad-value flag of all output piddles if the flag is set for any of the input piddles. gsl_sf_angle_restrict_symm Signature: (double [o]y()) Force an angle to lie in the range (-pi,pi]. gsl_sf_angle_restrict_symm does not process bad values. It will set the bad-value flag of all output piddles if the flag is set for any of the input piddles. gsl_sf_angle_restrict_pos Signature: (double [o]y()) Force an angle to lie in the range [0,2 pi). gsl_sf_angle_restrict_pos does not process bad values. It will set the bad-value flag of all output piddles if the flag is set for any of the input piddles. gsl_sf_sin_err Signature: (double x(); double dx(); double [o]y(); double [o]e()) Sin(x) for quantity with an associated error. gsl_sf_sin_err does not process bad values. It will set the bad-value flag of all output piddles if the flag is set for any of the input piddles. gsl_sf_cos_err Signature: (double x(); double dx(); double [o]y(); double [o]e()) Cos(x) for quantity with an associated error. gsl_sf_cos_err does not process bad values. It will set the bad-value flag of all output piddles if the flag is set for any of the input piddles. AUTHOR
This file copyright (C) 1999 Christian Pellegrin <chri@infis.univ.trieste.it> All rights reserved. There is no warranty. You are allowed to redistribute this software / documentation under certain conditions. For details, see the file COPYING in the PDL distribution. If this file is separated from the PDL distribution, the copyright notice should be included in the file. The GSL SF modules were written by G. Jungman. perl v5.12.1 2010-07-05 TRIG(3)