Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: FreeBSD or GNU/Linux?
Operating Systems Linux Fedora FreeBSD or GNU/Linux? Post 302448641 by Ikon on Thursday 26th of August 2010 01:36:40 PM
Old 08-26-2010
I use Ubuntu for desktop and multimedia systems and for my Netbook.
I use CentOS (Free Redhat Enterprise Linux) for servers

Both will be around for a while. Ubuntu has LTS versions, which stands for Long Term Support and they do have Server editions and Netbook (atom processor) editions as well...

There are hundreds of Distros here is a good place to learn more: http://distrowatch.com/

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Red Hat Linux - FreeBSD

Is there a major difference between this two flavours? I have read from the forums that Red Hat is ideal for newbies, but how about FreeBSD? In case of stability and usefulness/compatibility to hardware and third party software which one is the best bet? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: charlie499
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FreeBSD or Linux

Hello all! I have been using FreeBSD for years, however, I have colleagues who prefer Linux. For some reason we can never meet eye to eye on what the advantage is from one system to the other. My question is, can anyone explain what the differences are between both systems in respect to each... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ivo
1 Replies

3. Programming

Compile freeBSD binaries in Linux

I have to compile some c-programm as a binary for freeBSD, but I have no possibility to install and work with freeBSD itself - can I compile the needed bninaries in other OSes (Linux or Windows)??? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shalmoo
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

GNU and Linux: Different or the same?

Sorry for sounding like an incredible n00b, but as I have been lurking and searching on the net, I have come across something that may be common sense to most, but to me is confusing. I constantly see the word GNU when I do searches for Linux, both on this web site and on search engines. I found... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: Minnesota Red
18 Replies

5. Programming

how to create freeBSD binaries in Linux or Windows

I have a trouble: i cannot install and use freeBSD for some reasons(have no computer now, and comps on my work are Windowsed), but I need to compile some UNIX sources for freeBSD(this one: http://ppcpp.sf.net/). What can I do? Are there a compilers, that can run in Windows, but can compile binaries... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: szzz
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FreeBSD or Linux, which one is more fit for new man

Hello everyone. I'm a Chinese student.I want to learn something about OS, someone suggests me start with FreeBSD or Linux. Please tell me which one is more fit for new man. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: discoverer8713
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Has anyone run the linux boinc client on FreeBSD

The reason I ask is because the einstein client in the freash ports is not the current one with boinc. No new work is being assigned. They sugested or asked if I could run boinc 6.10.17 linux in emulation and if so, I would be able to crunch einstein data. so, anyone done the linux emulation of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: droolin
0 Replies
URI::URL(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					       URI::URL(3)

NAME
URI::URL - Uniform Resource Locators SYNOPSIS
$u1 = URI::URL->new($str, $base); $u2 = $u1->abs; DESCRIPTION
This module is provided for backwards compatibility with modules that depend on the interface provided by the "URI::URL" class that used to be distributed with the libwww-perl library. The following differences exist compared to the "URI" class interface: o The URI::URL module exports the url() function as an alternate constructor interface. o The constructor takes an optional $base argument. The "URI::URL" class is a subclass of "URI::WithBase". o The URI::URL->newlocal class method is the same as URI::file->new_abs. o URI::URL::strict(1) o $url->print_on method o $url->crack method o $url->full_path: same as ($uri->abs_path || "/") o $url->netloc: same as $uri->authority o $url->epath, $url->equery: same as $uri->path, $uri->query o $url->path and $url->query pass unescaped strings. o $url->path_components: same as $uri->path_segments (if you don't consider path segment parameters) o $url->params and $url->eparams methods o $url->base method. See URI::WithBase. o $url->abs and $url->rel have an optional $base argument. See URI::WithBase. o $url->frag: same as $uri->fragment o $url->keywords: same as $uri->query_keywords o $url->localpath and friends map to $uri->file. o $url->address and $url->encoded822addr: same as $uri->to for mailto URI o $url->groupart method for news URI o $url->article: same as $uri->message SEE ALSO
URI, URI::WithBase COPYRIGHT
Copyright 1998-2000 Gisle Aas. perl v5.12.1 2008-04-04 URI::URL(3)