Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to get this script work on multiple input files Post 302448594 by kevintse on Thursday 26th of August 2010 11:38:00 AM
Old 08-26-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel8472
Looks good! I am just wondering where the 3 is coming from (is the value rounded?). In the example the highest value is 0.34913E+01 for $2.

And another question just for my understanding. Where is specified that with starting to read a new file variable h is reset to 0 in order to extract the highest value of this specific file?

I try to grasp as much as possible that is why I ask so much Smilie

Cheers,
Daniel

Edit:
O maybe I got it! Right after begin you set h=0.

Edit2:

Oh now I got it, printf "%s\n%d\n" gives me header as a string and h as decimal expression and thus 3Smilie
Correct.

"BEGIN { h=0 }" initializes h(highest value) to zero so it can be used to compare with all $2 in the file.

And, actually, you can use printf "%e", number to print numbers in exponential format, and printf "%f", number in float point.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can you redirect multiple files for input?

I have a program that is reading strings into a vector from a file. Currently I am using this command: a.out < file1 The program runs and prints the contents of the vector to the screen, like its supposed to. The problem is that it needs to read in 3 files to fill the vector. Is there anyway... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Matrix_Prime
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting input files into multiple files through AWK command

Hi, I needs to split *.txt files from single directory depends on the some mutltiple input values. i have wrote the code like below for file in *.txt do grep -i -h "value1|value2" $file > $file; done. My requirment is more input values needs to be given in grep; let us say 50... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arund_01
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to redirect multiple input files?

I have a program that runs like "cat f1 - f2 -", I need to write shell script to run the program whose standard input will be redirected from 2 files. I spend a whole day on it, but didn't figure out. Can someone help me out? Thanks! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: microstarwwx
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make an editing script work for multiple files?

Hey everybody, I have a script for making a string substitution in a file. I am trying to modify it in order to make the same modifcation to multiples files. here is what I have so far. #!/bin/csh set p1="$1" shift set p2="$1" shift foreach x ($*) if ( { grep -w -c "$p1" $x } ) then mv... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: iwatk003
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Input for multiple files.

Hi, I am trying to come up with a script, and would like the script to pick all the files place within a folder and interactive take my yes/no before processing within the command. Could you someone help me in modifying the script : #!/bin/bash # LDIF_FILES="File Name" for MY_FILE... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: john_prince
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Writing a loop to process multiple input files by a shell script

I have multiple input files that I want to manipulate using a shell script. The files are called 250.1 through 250.1000 but I only want the script to manipulate 250.300 through 250.1000. Before I was using the following script to manipulate the text files: for i in 250.*; do || awk... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk, multiple files input and multiple files output

Hi! I'm new in awk and I need some help. I have a folder with a lot of files and I need that awk do something in each file and print a new file with the output. The input file name should be modified when I print the outpu files. Thanks in advance for help! :-) ciao (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabrysfe
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to delete files with an input for directories and an input for path/file

Hello, I'm trying to figure out how best to approach this script, and I have very little experience, so I could use all the help I can get. :wall: I regularly need to delete files from many directories. A file with the same name may exist any number of times in different subdirectories.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: *ShadowCat*
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to delete files older than x days and also taking an input for multiple paths

Hi , I am a newbie!!! I want to develop a script for deleting files older than x days from multiple paths. Now I could reach upto this piece of code which deletes files older than x days from a particular path. How do I enhance it to have an input from a .txt file or a .dat file? For eg:... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhilmil
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Multiple input files and output files

Hi, I have many test*.ft1 files to which I want to read as input for a script called pipe2txt.tcl and print the output in each separate file. For example, pipe2txt.tcl < test001.ft1 > test001.txt How can I read many files in this maner? thank you very much, Best, Pahuja (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pahuja
5 Replies
ppmtosixel(1)						      General Commands Manual						     ppmtosixel(1)

NAME
ppmtosixel - convert a portable pixmap into DEC sixel format SYNOPSIS
ppmtosixel [-raw] [-margin] [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces sixel commands (SIX) as output. The output is formatted for color printing, e.g. for a DEC LJ250 color inkjet printer. If RGB values from the PPM file do not have maxval=100, the RGB values are rescaled. A printer control header and a color assignment table begin the SIX file. Image data is written in a compressed format by default. A printer control footer ends the image file. OPTIONS
-raw If specified, each pixel will be explicitly described in the image file. If -raw is not specified, output will default to com- pressed format in which identical adjacent pixels are replaced by "repeat pixel" commands. A raw file is often an order of magni- tude larger than a compressed file and prints much slower. -margin If -margin is not specified, the image will be start at the left margin (of the window, paper, or whatever). If -margin is speci- fied, a 1.5 inch left margin will offset the image. PRINTING
Generally, sixel files must reach the printer unfiltered. Use the lpr -x option or cat filename > /dev/tty0?. BUGS
Upon rescaling, truncation of the least significant bits of RGB values may result in poor color conversion. If the original PPM maxval was greater than 100, rescaling also reduces the image depth. While the actual RGB values from the ppm file are more or less retained, the color palette of the LJ250 may not match the colors on your screen. This seems to be a printer limitation. SEE ALSO
ppm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1991 by Rick Vinci. 26 April 1991 ppmtosixel(1)