Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: File Comparision
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting File Comparision Post 302448410 by prasson_ibm on Thursday 26th of August 2010 04:15:14 AM
Old 08-26-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by funksen
an example:

Code:
# cat file1
line1 a b c
line3 c d e
line2 q l r
# cat file2
line1 a b c
line2 q l r
line3 c d e
# cat file3
line3 c d e
line2  l r
line1 a b c

without sort

Code:
# diff file1 file2
2d1
< line3 c d e
3a3
> line3 c d e

echo $? # output return code

with sort:

Code:
#sort file1 > file1.sort
#sort file2 >file2.sort
#diff file1.sort file2.sort
#echo $?

to put this in a script:

Code:
#!/bin/ksh
sort ${1} > /tmp/${1}.sort
sort ${2} > /tmp/${2}.sort

diff /tmp/${1}.sort /tmp/${2}.sort >/dev/null 2>&1
if [ $? -eq 0 ] 
then echo "files are equal"  ; RC=0
else echo "files are not equal" ; RC=1
fi

rm /tmp/${1}.sort
rm /tmp/${2}.sort 

exit $RC

usage:

Code:
# ./compare.ksh file1 file3
files are not equal
# ./compare.ksh file2 file1
files are equal

they way you sort the files doesn't matter, unless you sort both files the same way
Hi,

I have written file comparision script using diff and sort command,and its working fine for small files but i m facing issue with the large files having size around 300MB.

Is there any other way to compare two large files?

---------- Post updated at 01:45 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:00 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasson_ibm
Hi,

I have written file comparision script using diff and sort command,and its working fine for small files but i m facing issue with the large files having size around 300MB.

Is there any other way to compare two large files?
While sorting large file i m getting error message
sort: 0653-657 A write error occurred while sorting.
sort: 0653-657 A write error occurred while sorting.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Comparision by using Shell Script

Hello All, I am trying to find 2 file comparision by using Shell Script. For example, I am having 2 directories namely DAY1 & DAY2. DAY1 directory contains file1.dat, file2.dat, file3.dat, file4.dat, file5.dat & DAY2 directory contains file1.dat, file2.dat, file3.dat, file4.dat, file5.dat. Now,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nvkuriseti
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix File Comparision

I have a file named file1 which contains numbers in sequence like... 1 2 3 7 8 Then i have file File 2 that contains 4 5 ........so i need to compare both files so that i can find out the missing entry in the sequence is 6.......These files are flat files which contain and so i need to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolguy01
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

file size comparision local file and remote file

Hi, I have written a script which would FTP a dump file to the FTP server and log the whole activity into a file. to confirm the success of the file copy i grep for "226 file receive OK" and then send out an email saying success. Now i want to make sure the bytes of the local file and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dba.admin2008
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

file comparision by line

i have two files and i want to compare these two it shoud print those lines which are not in 2nd file a.txt 1236,AB,0 2345,CD,1 5679,EF,1 9123,AA,1 9223,AA,0 b.txt 1234,AB,0 2345,CD,1 5678,EF,1 9123,AA,0 o/p 1236,AB,0 5679,EF,1 9123,AA,1 9223,AA,0 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaysa123
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Email sending attachement with two file comparision

Hi guys, I have two files . One file contains log record and another file contains emailids which is supposed to send it users File1 : Name : abc_xyz_data.txt Which contains log record File 2 : Name : abc_xyz_mailids.txt Which contains emailids. abc@test.com bcd@test.com I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: orabalu
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

File comparision

HI, I would like to know how to compare two files and replace non-matching lines with "_" . I can get non-mathing lines with grep -v -f file1 file2 i just want to knw how to display 'file2' with non-matching lines from 'file1' replaced by "_" for exmaple file1: a b c d ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: maddy81
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date Comparision in the File

Hi All, I have thefollowing files in the directory inbox/sat ras.sat.trn.20090103.001902.00004358 ras.sat.trn.20090612.001903.00005339 ras.sat.trn.20090723.001902.00004358 The above file contains the date of the file creation. We just need to write a ksh shell script to check the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: satheesh_color
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

File comparision

Hi All I have to files cat a.txt AAA BBB CCC DDD and cat b.txt AAA CCC EEE i want to compare these two files and o/p should have content of file a.txt which is not in file b.txt c.txt BBB DDD Please help me (1 Reply)
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

File comparision

Hi All I have to files cat a.txt AAA BBB CCC DDD and cat b.txt AAA CCC EEE i want to compare these two files and o/p should have content of file a.txt which is not in file b.txt c.txt BBB DDD Please help me (3 Replies)
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

File comparision with AWK / SED

Hi all I need to compare two separate product lists that are changed weekly. New products are added, old products are removed and prices change. I have found various Windows programs that do this function but it's not as clean as I like and just wondered if there was a simpler way with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mrpugster
1 Replies