Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers multiple variables assignement (stdout/stderr outputs) Post 302448123 by anthalamus on Wednesday 25th of August 2010 10:19:51 AM
Old 08-25-2010
ha ha thanks agama, I guess i'll keep my temporary files then Smilie, they're not so bad after all!!
It's a pity though, i was hoping some kind of easy redirection like

Code:
ls not_a_file a_file >$OUT 2>$ERR # obviously does not actually work!

It wouldn't seem so hard to provide in shells nowadays, since the same can be achieved with a few commands using files. Anyway, I guess the question of whether it is actually useful or not is worth asking.

Anyway thanks to both of you!

EDIT: well I settled for:
Code:
COMMAND="ls not_a_file a_file"
OUT=`mktemp` && ERR=`mktemp` && eval "$COMMAND" 1>$OUT 2>$ERR; STDOUT=`cat $OUT` && STDERR=`cat $ERR` && rm $OUT $ERR
echo -e "STDOUT=$STDOUT\nSTDERR=$STDERR"

If something thinks of something much better, let me know!!

Last edited by anthalamus; 08-25-2010 at 02:40 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect stdout and stderr

How can I redirect and append stdout and stderr to a file when using cron? Here is my crontab file: */5 * * * * /dir/php /dir/process_fns.php >>& /dir/dump.txt Cron gives me an 'unexpected character found in line' when trying to add my crontab file. Regards, Zach Curtis POPULUS (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: zcurtis
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

precedence of stderr and stdout

#!/usr/bin/perl open(STDOUT, ">>$Textfile") open(STDERR, ">>$Textfile") print "program running\n"; $final = join("+", $initial,$final) #5 close (STDOUT); close (STDERR);Hi all, above is my perl code. Notice i have captured the stdout and stderr to the same textfile. my code is expected to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: new2ss
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to redirect stderr and stdout to a file

Hi friends I am facing one problem while redirecting the out of the stderr and stdout to a file let example my problem with a simple example I have a file (say test.sh)in which i run 2 command in the background ps -ef & ls & and now i am run this file and redirect the output to a file... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushantnirwan
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use tee with stdout and stderr?

I have been doing this: make xyz &> xyz.log &; tail -f xyz.log The problem with this is that you never can ge sure when "make xyz" is done. How can I pipe both stderr and stdout into tee so both stderr and stdout are copied both to the display and to the log file? Thanks, Siegfried (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sending stdout and stderr to a file

working on a c sell script I think I understand the concept of it, which is: filename >> file.txt (to appaend) or filename | tee -a file.txt (to append) The problem is that my shell script is used with several parameters, and these commands don't seem to work with just filename. They... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mistermojo
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirecting several outputs to /dev/stdout

I have an executable that, depending on its input, outputs to either one file or several. It usually prints nothing on screen. The usual way to call this program is to specify an input and output filenames, like this: ./executable.exe -i inputfile -o outputfileIt will then try to use the output... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aplaydoc
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

Make STDERR readable as STDOUT

Hi all. I am trying to use backticks in Perl to put STDERR into a string. The code is... $readkey_test = `perl -MTerm::ReadKey -e 1`; print $readkey_test; if ($readkey_test =~ m/]/) { print "ReadKey not installed...\n"; } else { print "ReadKey installed...\n"; } If it comes up... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: austinharris43
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

stderr/stdout

Can somebody explain to me why the diff output is not going to stderr? Yet when I issue a diff from the command line the return code is -ne 1. I am guessing diff always writes to stdout??? Is there away I can force the difff to write to stderr USING THE CURRENT template. If possible, I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: BeefStu
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

stdout, stderr redirection

Hi all, can someone help me with the next redirection? i want to redirect the stdout+stderr of a command to the same file (this i can do by prog &> file) but in addition i want to redirect only the stderr to a different file. how can i do this please? (in BASH) thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: eee
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[stdin / stdout] Strategies for redirecting outputs

Well.. let's say i need to write a pretty simple script. In my script i have 2 variables which can have value of 0 or 1. $VERBOSE $LOG I need to implement these cases: ($VERBOSE = 0 && $LOG = 0) => ONLY ERROR output (STDERR to console && STDOUT to /dev/null) ($VERBOSE = 1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Marmz
5 Replies
MKTEMP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 MKTEMP(1)

NAME
mktemp -- make temporary file name (unique) SYNOPSIS
mktemp [-d] [-q] [-t prefix] [-u] template ... mktemp [-d] [-q] [-u] -t prefix DESCRIPTION
The mktemp utility takes each of the given file name templates and overwrites a portion of it to create a file name. This file name is unique and suitable for use by the application. The template may be any file name with some number of 'Xs' appended to it, for example /tmp/temp.XXXX. The trailing 'Xs' are replaced with the current process number and/or a unique letter combination. The number of unique file names mktemp can return depends on the number of 'Xs' provided; six 'Xs' will result in mktemp selecting 1 of 56800235584 (62 ** 6) pos- sible file names. If mktemp can successfully generate a unique file name, the file is created with mode 0600 (unless the -u flag is given) and the filename is printed to standard output. If the -t prefix option is given, mktemp will generate a template string based on the prefix and the TMPDIR environment variable if set. The default location if TMPDIR is not set is /tmp. Care should be taken to ensure that it is appropriate to use an environment variable poten- tially supplied by the user. If no arguments are passed or if only the -d flag is passed mktemp behaves as if -t tmp was supplied. Any number of temporary files may be created in a single invocation, including one based on the internal template resulting from the -t flag. The mktemp utility is provided to allow shell scripts to safely use temporary files. Traditionally, many shell scripts take the name of the program with the pid as a suffix and use that as a temporary file name. This kind of naming scheme is predictable and the race condition it creates is easy for an attacker to win. A safer, though still inferior, approach is to make a temporary directory using the same naming scheme. While this does allow one to guarantee that a temporary file will not be subverted, it still allows a simple denial of service attack. For these reasons it is suggested that mktemp be used instead. OPTIONS
The available options are as follows: -d Make a directory instead of a file. -q Fail silently if an error occurs. This is useful if a script does not want error output to go to standard error. -t prefix Generate a template (using the supplied prefix and TMPDIR if set) to create a filename template. -u Operate in ``unsafe'' mode. The temp file will be unlinked before mktemp exits. This is slightly better than mktemp(3) but still introduces a race condition. Use of this option is not encouraged. EXIT STATUS
The mktemp utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
The following sh(1) fragment illustrates a simple use of mktemp where the script should quit if it cannot get a safe temporary file. tempfoo=`basename $0` TMPFILE=`mktemp /tmp/${tempfoo}.XXXXXX` || exit 1 echo "program output" >> $TMPFILE To allow the use of $TMPDIR: tempfoo=`basename $0` TMPFILE=`mktemp -t ${tempfoo}` || exit 1 echo "program output" >> $TMPFILE In this case, we want the script to catch the error itself. tempfoo=`basename $0` TMPFILE=`mktemp -q /tmp/${tempfoo}.XXXXXX` if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then echo "$0: Can't create temp file, exiting..." exit 1 fi SEE ALSO
mkdtemp(3), mkstemp(3), mktemp(3), environ(7) HISTORY
A mktemp utility appeared in OpenBSD 2.1. This implementation was written independently based on the OpenBSD man page, and first appeared in FreeBSD 2.2.7. This man page is taken from OpenBSD. BSD
December 30, 2005 BSD