Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting replacing field in specific line in a file Post 302447936 by vytenis on Tuesday 24th of August 2010 06:01:38 PM
Old 08-24-2010
Question replacing field in specific line in a file

Hi,

I know there are lots of threads on replacing text within files, usually using sed or awk. However, I find it hard to adapt examples that I found to my specific case. I am kind of new to UNIX and have hard times learning the syntax either for sed or awk so I would appreciate any help. Here's what I want to do:

I have a file containing user information

PIN000:FirstName.LastName:AccountNumber:Balance

I use cut to retreive Balance and place it into a variable and do calculations with it, but I don't know how to replace the Balance in the file above with new Balance that I get.

For example,
withdrawsum=number
Balance=&(($Balance - $withdrawsum))

then I want to replace the Balance part of the file so that when I exit the script, the changes remain and the next time I try to read Balance from the user file, I get the changed one.

For example,

user file:

PIN123:John.Smith:10203040:1000

so the Balance=1000

lets say that

withdrawsum=10

So once I've done the subtraction from the balance,

Balance=$(($Balance - $withdrawsum))

I want the new balance to be overwritten in the old balance place, so the file would look like this:

PIN123:John.Smith:10203040:980

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for your help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing the last field of a line.

Hi, I wrote a script which extracts data from 2 tables (joining the tables together) and outputs the fields to a csv file. the output may look something like scenario 1: a,b,c,d,1,2,3,4 or scenario 2: a,b,c,d,,,, now, in the second scenario, there are some empty fields at the end of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Darek
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

replacing string in a column on a specific line

hi, i currently have a file with columns similar to this customer name owed CID123 John 300 CID342 harry 500 at present i use use awk to find the amount owed by the customer using the customer ID (CID). if the customer spends more money how would i go about using sed/awk etc to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skinnygav
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to append a character to the last but one field on a specific line?

Hi Guys, I have a file like this: aaa b c d e f fsss g h i k l qqq r t h n I want: aaa b c d e f fsss g h i k l qqq r t h , n ggg p t e d u qqq i o s , k (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED Replacing all but one regex match on a line or specific matches

Hi, I'm attempting to rename some files that have spaces in them. Without linking sed commands together is it possible to replace the first three "." to " ". File.name.is.long.ext -> File name is long.ext I can get the desired effect with echo "File.name.is.long.ext" | sed 's/\./ /g;s/... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vectox
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk to read a specific line and a specific field on that line.

Say the input was as follows: Brat 20 x 1000 32rf Pour 15 p 1621 05pr Dart 10 z 1111 22xx My program prompts for an input, what I want is to use the input to locate a specific field. Like if I type in, "Pou" then it would return "Pour" and just "Pour" I currently have this line but it is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bungkai
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace specific field on specific line sed or awk

I'm trying to update a text file via sed/awk, after a lot of searching I still can't find a code snippet that I can get to work. Brief overview: I have user input a line to a variable, I then find a specific value in this line 10th field in this case. After asking for new input and doing some... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: crownedzero
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Update specific field in a line of text file

I have a text file like this: subject1:LecturerA:10 subject2:LecturerA:40 if I was given string in column 1 and 2 (which are subject 1 and LecturerA) , i need to update 3rd field of that line containing that given string , which is, number 10 need to be updated to 100 ,for example. The... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmtoan
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing nth field with nth_text for each line in a file

Hi All, I am very new to shell scripting and tried to search this in the forum but no luck. Requirment: I have an input file which is comma separated. I need to replace the value in 4th column with another value. This has to happen for all the lines in the file. Sample data: Input... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumarsd
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing entire fields with specific text at end or beginning of field

Greetings. I've got a csv file with data along these lines: Spumoni's Pizza Place, Placemats n Things, Just Lamps Counterfeit Dollars by Vinnie, Just Shades, Dollar StoreI want to replace the entire comma-delimited field if it matches something ending in "Place" or beginning with "Dollar",... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: palmfrond
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How do you preserve the max length of a line after replacing a specific value?

I'm new with scripting and I can't seem to figure out what I should do to get the output that I want. My file content would be below. ID2|ID3 |ID4|ID5 | I'm trying to replace the field of ID3 which has a fixed length of 10 characters, for each entry I have placed on a .txt file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: asdfghjkl
5 Replies
audioplay(1)                                                       User Commands                                                      audioplay(1)

NAME
audioplay - play audio files SYNOPSIS
audioplay [-iV] [-v vol] [-b bal] [-p speaker | headphone | line] [-d dev] [file...] DESCRIPTION
The audioplay utility copies the named audio files (or the standard input if no filenames are present) to the audio device. If no input file is specified and standard input is a tty, the port, volume, and balance settings specified on the command line will be applied and the program will exit. The input files must contain a valid audio file header. The encoding information in this header is matched against the capabilities of the audio device and, if the data formats are incompatible, an error message is printed and the file is skipped. Compressed ADPCM (G.721) monaural audio data is automatically uncompressed before playing. Minor deviations in sampling frequency (that is, less than 1%) are ordinarily ignored. This allows, for instance, data sampled at 8012 Hz to be played on an audio device that only supports 8000 Hz. If the -V option is present, such deviations are flagged with warning mes- sages. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -i Immediate: If the audio device is unavailable (that is, another process currently has write access), audioplay ordinarily waits until it can obtain access to the device. When the -i option is present, audioplay prints an error message and exits immediately if the device is busy. -V Verbose: Prints messages on the standard error when waiting for access to the audio device or when sample rate deviations are detected. -v vol Volume: The output volume is set to the specified value before playing begins, and is reset to its previous level when audioplay exits. The vol argument is an integer value between 0 and 100, inclusive. If this argument is not specified, the output volume remains at the level most recently set by any process. -b bal Balance: The output balance is set to the specified value before playing begins, and is reset to its previous level when audioplay exits. The bal argument is an integer value between -100 and 100, inclusive. A value of -100 indicates left balance, 0 middle, and 100 right. If this argument is not specified, the output balance remains at the level most recently set by any process. -p speaker | headphone | line Output Port: Selects the built-in speaker (the default), headphone jack, or line out as the destination of the audio output signal. If this argument is not specified, the output port will remain unchanged. Please note: Not all audio adapters support all of the output ports. If the named port does not exist, an appropriate substitute will be used. -d dev Device: The dev argument specifies an alternate audio device to which output should be directed. If the -d option is not specified, the AUDIODEV environment variable is consulted (see below). Otherwise, /dev/audio is used as the default audio device. -? Help: Prints a command line usage message. OPERANDS
file File Specification: Audio files named on the command line are played sequentially. If no filenames are present, the standard input stream (if it is not a tty) is played (it, too, must contain an audio file header). The special filename `-' may be used to read the standard input stream instead of a file. If a relative path name is supplied, the AUDIOPATH environment variable is consulted (see below). USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of audioplay when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
AUDIODEV The full path name of the audio device to write to, if no -d argument is supplied. If the AUDIODEV variable is not set, /dev/audio is used. AUDIOPATH A colon-separated list of directories in which to search for audio files whose names are given by relative pathnames. The current directory (".") may be specified explicitly in the search path. If the AUDIOPATH variable is not set, only the cur- rent directory will be searched. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Architecture |SPARC, x86 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWauda | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
audioconvert(1), audiorecord(1), mixerctl(1), attributes(5), largefile(5), usb_ac(7D), audio(7I), mixer(7I) BUGS
audioplay currently supports a limited set of audio format conversions. If the audio file is not in a format supported by the audio device, it must first be converted. For example, to convert to voice format on the fly, use the command: example% audioconvert -f voice myfile | audioplay The format conversion will not always be able to keep up with the audio output. If this is the case, you should convert to a temporary file before playing the data. SunOS 5.10 16 Feb 2001 audioplay(1)