Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sort the file contents in each group....print the group title as well Post 302447898 by Corona688 on Tuesday 24th of August 2010 03:57:02 PM
Old 08-24-2010
Before you can sort it, you must first break them into separate groups.

---------- Post updated at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:46 PM ----------

This is a bit of a kludge since the sort command doesn't seem to be able to sort based on anything but fixed column positions, and your first column is variable size. If we swap the data around, it can always sort based on the first four columns.

Code:
#!/bin/sh

while read LINE
do
        # First line of a group
        if [ "${LINE:0:6}" == "Reason" ]
        then
                # Print the header
                echo "${LINE}"
                # Keep looping until we hit a blank line.
                while IFS="-" read A B && [ ! -z "${A}" ]
                do
                        # Reverse the order of the items so they can be sorted
                        echo "${B}-${A}"
                done | sort -u --key=1,4 |
                # Reverse the order back
                while IFS="-" read B A
                do
                        echo "${A}-${B}"
                done

# Add a blank line to the end.
                echo
        fi
done < data

This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sort cmd to get GROUP BY?

Is there any way using the sort command to get something like a GROUP BY clause? I'm trying to sort through race_event records and group them by those individuals that raced together in the same race on the same date at the same track, but i run into a problem when there were days when the track... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: RacerX
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk help required to group output and print a part of group line and original line

Hi, Need awk help to group and print lines to format the output as shown below INPUT FORMAT set echo on set heading on set spool on /* SCHEMA1 */ CREATE TABLE T1; /* SCHEMA1 */ CREATE TABLE T2; /* SCHEMA1 */ CREATE TABLE T3; /* SCHEMA1 */ CREATE TABLE T4; /* SCHEMA1 */ CREATE TABLE T5;... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajan_san
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort, group rows

I wrote script in bash which generates this report: User1,admin,rep,User2,shell,path1,x1,r1 User2,admin,rep,User7,shell,path1,x1,r1 User3,admin,rep,User4,shell,path1,x1,r1 User4,admin,rep,User3,shell,path1,x1,r1 User5,admin,rep,User1,shell,path1,x1,r1 User6,admin,rep,User5,shell,path1,x1,r1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrykxes
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - sort, then print the high value for each group

Hi @ all I'm trying to achive to this problem, I've a 2-column composed file as the following: 192.168.1.2 2 192.168.1.3 12 192.168.1.2 4 192.168.1.4 3 cpc1-swan1-2-3-cust123.swan.cable.ntl.com 4 192.168.1.3 5 192.168.1.2 10 192.168.1.4 8... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: m4rco-
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge group numbers and add a column containing group names

Hi All I do have a file like this with 6 columns. Groups of data merge together and the group number is indicated above each group. 1 1 12 26 289 3.2e-027 GCGTATGGCGGC 2 12 26 215 6.7e+006 TTCCACCTTTTG 3 9 26 175 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort Data by Group !

Hello, I have a file and i want to sort by third column and extract the three top lines of each group, it is determined by the second column (144, 89, 55, etc). Could you please help me with the appropiate awk shell script XLY-XLP 144 0.592772 XLY-XLE 144 0.798121 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: csierra
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

need a one liner to grep a group info from /etc/group and use that result to search passwd file

/etc/group tiadm::345:mk789,po312,jo343,ju454,ko453,yx879,iy345,hn453 bin::2:root,daemon sys::3:root,bin,adm adm::4:root,daemon uucp::5:root /etc/passwd mk789:x:234:1::/export/home/dummy:/bin/sh po312:x:234:1::/export/home/dummy:/bin/sh ju454:x:234:1::/export/home/dummy:/bin/sh... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to create a volume group, logical volume group and file system?

hi, I want to create a volume group of 200 GB and then create different file systems on that. please help me out. Its becomes confusing when the PP calculating PP. I don't understand this concept. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamaldev
2 Replies

9. Programming

Sql ORA-00937: not a single-group group function

I'm trying to return only one row with the highest value for PCT_MAX_USED. Any suggestions? When I add this code, I get the ORA-00937 error. trunc(max(decode( kbytes_max, 0, 0, (kbytes_alloc/kbytes_max)*100))) pct_max_used This is the original and returns all rows. select (select... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: progkcp
3 Replies
pg2(3erl)						     Erlang Module Definition							 pg2(3erl)

NAME
pg2 - Distributed Named Process Groups DESCRIPTION
This module implements process groups. The groups in this module differ from the groups in the module pg in several ways. In pg , each mes- sage is sent to all members in the group. In this module, each message may be sent to one, some, or all members. A group of processes can be accessed by a common name. For example, if there is a group named foobar , there can be a set of processes (which can be located on different nodes) which are all members of the group foobar . There are no special functions for sending a message to the group. Instead, client functions should be written with the functions get_members/1 and get_local_members/1 to find out which pro- cesses are members of the group. Then the message can be sent to one or more members of the group. If a member terminates, it is automatically removed from the group. Warning: This module is used by the disk_log module for managing distributed disk logs. The disk log names are used as group names, which means that some action may need to be taken to avoid name clashes. EXPORTS
create(Name) -> void() Types Name = term() Creates a new, empty process group. The group is globally visible on all nodes. If the group exists, nothing happens. delete(Name) -> void() Types Name = term() Deletes a process group. get_closest_pid(Name) -> Pid | {error, Reason} Types Name = term() Pid = pid() Reason = {no_process, Name} | {no_such_group, Name} This is a useful dispatch function which can be used from client functions. It returns a process on the local node, if such a process exist. Otherwise, it chooses one randomly. get_members(Name) -> [Pid] | {error, Reason} Types Name = term() Pid = pid() Reason = {no_such_group, Name} Returns all processes in the group Name . This function should be used from within a client function that accesses the group. It is therefore optimized for speed. get_local_members(Name) -> [Pid] | {error, Reason} Types Name = term() Pid = pid() Reason = {no_such_group, Name} Returns all processes running on the local node in the group Name . This function should to be used from within a client function that accesses the group. It is therefore optimized for speed. join(Name, Pid) -> ok | {error, Reason} Types Name = term() Pid = pid() Reason = {no_such_group, Name} Joins the process Pid to the group Name . A process can join a group several times; it must then leave the group the same number of times. leave(Name, Pid) -> ok | {error, Reason} Types Name = term() Pid = pid() Reason = {no_such_group, Name} Makes the process Pid leave the group Name . If the process is not a member of the group, ok is returned. which_groups() -> [Name] Types Name = term() Returns a list of all known groups. start() start_link() -> {ok, Pid} | {error, Reason} Types Pid = pid() Reason = term() Starts the pg2 server. Normally, the server does not need to be started explicitly, as it is started dynamically if it is needed. This is useful during development, but in a target system the server should be started explicitly. Use configuration parameters for kernel for this. SEE ALSO
kernel(7) , pg(3erl) Ericsson AB kernel 2.14.3 pg2(3erl)