Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replace a null from grep to a number 0 using sed Post 302447673 by dgmm on Tuesday 24th of August 2010 03:13:01 AM
Old 08-24-2010
Replace a null from grep to a number 0 using sed

Hi
I have a file which contains count for a code. Code is first field and count is second field.
I am trying to search the code and get correspond count.

File look like this. temp.out
Code:
A 10
B  20

I am searching for C , if C is not there I will have get value 0.

I have written like this to get the count.

Code:
c=`grep "C " temp.out | awk '{print $2}'`

But this c is getting a null. How do I change it so that I will get zero instead of null.

Thanks and Regards
dgmm

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Use code tags please.

Last edited by zaxxon; 08-24-2010 at 04:21 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed command to find, manipulate and replace a number

Hi, Im very new to the world of sed so I'm really not even sure if this is possible. What i need to do is read from a flat file and every time i see this line: VAL=123,456 I need to change 456 to 457 for every occurence of this line in the file. The numbers 123 and 456 are different for... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: LT_2008
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed/grep string replace question

Hi all, I know this question has probably been answered before, but I am struggling with this problem, even after googling a million pages. In a file named rdmt.conf I need a single character replaced, the number in the line below CUR_OC4J_ID=1 It will always appear after... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mike AAA
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sed to replace second number in a random string

I need a sed line that will take STDM111 and change it to STDM161 the STDM will always be constant but the 3 numbers after will be random, I just need it to always replace the middle number with 6 regardless of what the numbers are. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace a column that has '' to NULL in a comma delimited using awk or sed

Hi this is my first time posting ever. I'm relatively new in using AWK/SED, I've been trying many a solution. I'm trying to replace the 59th column in a file where if I encounter '' then I would like to replace it with the word NULL. example 0 , '' , '' , 0 , 195.538462 change it to 0... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gumal901
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using SED to replace a random number?

Hi all, I need to run a number of scripts which have a certain phrase on them so I have identified these by; grep -l 100 *script | sort -u Normally I could just run something along the lines of; for i in `grep -l 100 *script | sort -u`; do ./${i}; done However before I run each of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: JayC89
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace x Number of String Occurrence with Sed

Ok, So I have a huge file that has over 12000 lines in it. in this file, there are 589 occurrences of the string "use five-minute-interval" spread in various areas in the file. How can i replace the the last 250 of the occurrences of "use five-minute-interval" with "use... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace null data using SED

Hi, I have following data in a file 5~6.14~S~N~N~0.~4565~134~6584  ~6.13~H~N~N~0.~4578~0~6587 2~6.14~S~N~N~0.~4565~134~6584  ~3.13~H~N~N~0.~4578~0~6587 -~6.14~S~N~N~0.~4565~134~6584  ~7.13~H~N~N~0.~4578~0~6587 I want the output as 5~6.14~S~N~N~0.~4565~134~6584... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sol_nov
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a pattern in a file with a generated number using sed or awk

my file has thousands of line but let me show what i want to achieve... here is one line from that file cat fileName.txt (2,'','user3002,user3003','USER_DATA_SINGLE',1,0,0,'BACKUP',2,NULL,0,450,NULL,NULL,'','2011-05-10... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to replace the matching pattern with equal number of spaces

Hi I have written a shell script which used sed code below sed -i 's/'"$Pattern"'/ /g' $FileName I want to count the length of Pattern and replace it with equal number of spaces in the FileName. I have used $(#pattern) to get the length but could not understand how to replace... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshkumar
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using sed to replace a range of number

Trying to use SED to replace numbers that fall into a range but can't seem to get the logic to work and am wondering if SED will do this. I have a file with the following numbers 3 26 20 5. For the numbers that are greater than zero and less than 25, SED would add the word range after the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmyf
7 Replies
STRING(3)						     Library Functions Manual							 STRING(3)

NAME
strcat, strncat, strcmp, strncmp, strcasecmp, strncasecmp, strcpy, strncpy, strlen, index, rindex - string operations SYNOPSIS
#include <strings.h> char *strcat(s, append) char *s, *append; char *strncat(s, append, count) char *s, *append; int count; strcmp(s1, s2) char *s1, *s2; strncmp(s1, s2, count) char *s1, *s2; int count; strcasecmp(s1, s2) char *s1, *s2; strncasecmp(s1, s2, count) char *s1, *s2; int count; char *strcpy(to, from) char *to, *from; char *strncpy(to, from, count) char *to, *from; int count; strlen(s) char *s; char *index(s, c) char *s, c; char *rindex(s, c) char *s, c; DESCRIPTION
These functions operate on null-terminated strings. They do not check for overflow of any receiving string. Strcat appends a copy of string append to the end of string s. Strncat copies at most count characters. Both return a pointer to the null- terminated result. Strcmp compares its arguments and returns an integer greater than, equal to, or less than 0, according as s1 is lexicographically greater than, equal to, or less than s2. Strncmp makes the same comparison but looks at at most count characters. Strcasecmp and strncasecmp are identical in function, but are case insensitive. The returned lexicographic difference reflects a conversion to lower-case. Strcpy copies string from to to, stopping after the null character has been moved. Strncpy copies exactly count characters, appending nulls if from is less than count characters in length; the target may not be null-terminated if the length of from is count or more. Both return to. Strlen returns the number of non-null characters in s. Index (rindex) returns a pointer to the first (last) occurrence of character c in string s or zero if c does not occur in the string. Set- ting c to NULL works. 4th Berkeley Distribution October 22, 1987 STRING(3)