Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grabbing value from command output and monitoring for changes Post 302447622 by monty77 on Monday 23rd of August 2010 09:38:17 PM
Old 08-23-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by agama
Good -- a single shot command is much easier to deal with.

I miss read the grep -- realise now that you are ditching the 'name' line. If the value that you are interested in is always the last line, which it appears to be, then this will be better:

Code:
echo "psc -i 10050 -s RELOAD_SERVICE" | tmadmin | grep -vE 'Name|------' | tail -1| read new_value;

If there is more output following the value you want, but it is always line seven, then try this:
Code:
echo "psc -i 10050 -s RELOAD_SERVICE" | tmadmin | grep -vE 'Name|------' | awk 'NR==7 {print}' | read new_value;

Have a go with one of these and see if that works.
Thanks again, either one of those might work but I went with this in the end:

Code:
echo "psc -i 10050 -s RELOAD_SERVICE" | tmadmin | grep -vE 'Name|------|'^$'' | awk '{print $7}'

..only thing that's not perfect now is that it (understandably) will always write a row to the log when you first fire it up. Any way to avoid this?

Thanks a million!!
Monty

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grabbing result of sql command

Hi guys, Is there a way a script can run an SQL statement and dump the results into a variable which can then be used later in the script? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hern14
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grabbing a value from an output file

I am executing a stored proc and sending the results in a log file. I then want to grab one result from the output parameters (bolded below, 2) so that I can store it in a variable which will then be called in another script. There are more details that get printed in the beginning of the log file,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hern14
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File Missing When Grabbing Files from SFTP Server using SCP Command

Hi, I have this problem where sometimes my files would go missing when I schedule my crontab to run the SCP command to get file from the SFTP server. My crontab will run the scripts at an interval of 3 minutes (between the two scripts) The following is the setting in my crontab. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gingervitus
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command display output on console and simultaneously save the command and its output

Hi folks, Please advise which command/command line shall I run; 1) to display the command and its output on console 2) simultaneous to save the command and its output on a file I tried tee command as follows; $ ps aux | grep mysql | tee /path/to/output.txt It displayed the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: satimis
7 Replies

5. Solaris

Monitoring the output of 'top' command on hourly basis.

I need to capture the following data on an hourly basis through cronjob scheduling:- 1. load averages 2. Total no. of processes. 3. CPU state 4. Memory 5. Top 3 process details. All the above information is available through the command 'top'. But here we need to automate the same and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: subharai
4 Replies

6. Infrastructure Monitoring

AIX monitoring tools for graphical output

Hi , I am new for Aix i am using IBM AIX server in our org. I am using tomcat and JDK 1.6 for our own ERP software the data base was stored in another server (windows ) i want to monitor my AIX server with graphical output from another system it is possible please help me, any other... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishna_vnr`
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to mail monitoring output if required or redirect output to log file

Below script perfectly works, giving below mail output. BUT, I want to make the script mail only if there are any D-Defined/T-Transition/B-Broken State WPARs and also to copy the output generated during monitoring to a temporary log file, which gets cleaned up every week. Need suggestions. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aix_admin_007
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grabbing IP and zonename from multiline 'ifconfig' output

Hi There, I have a Solaris server that has a bunch of zones configured and I am trying to write a script that will take all interfaces other than the loopback ones (e.g. lo0:3 etc) and present them so that I can easily determine the zone that owns the IP So in the case of the following... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grabbing value from file and run command in ``

Hi ALL, How can I make a script take data from a file and execute the commands within `` in the file n put that that in a variable? for i in `cat file` do file=`grep -i key file` cp ${file} test done file /tmp/`date +y`log /tmp/unix`date +y`log (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 3junior
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert title as output of command to appended file if no output from command

I am using UNIX to create a script on our system. I have setup my commands to append their output to an outage file. However, some of the commands return no output and so I would like something to take their place. What I need The following command is placed at the prompt: TICLI... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbrass
4 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do rtl layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter, a4. Default is A4. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin in postscript points (1/72 inch). Default is 36. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --encoding=ENCODING Assume the documentation encoding is ENCODING. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)