Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: System Image of Unix
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users System Image of Unix Post 302447578 by Corona688 on Monday 23rd of August 2010 03:45:14 PM
Old 08-23-2010
These tools being mentioned are all proprietary things, so it's hard to even compare their functionality to each other. It depends what you mean by "system image".

UNIX is generally a lot less "magic" than most systems, so super-specialized backup tools aren't as essential; except for the bootloader, just having the right files in the right places with the right UID/GID/permissions should do. You can also dd a disk to get a bit-for-bit copy, though not while its mounted read-write of course.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

bitmap image in unix

On windows we can save the screen in a .bmp file format. I sit possible to do the same thing in Unix? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asutoshch
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

loading a unix image

what filesystem does unix use? i have a server what had windows loaded on it and when i tried to load a unix image it gives me the error message: mit_hard0 failed Fatal error: a critical disk initialization utility has failed on the primary disk error: /mitram/lib/mit_hd has failed, exiting... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ahaurek
1 Replies

3. Linux

error while retrieving image using system imager

This is the error that I am getting while retrieving image from image server using system imager.... Listening on LPF/lo/<null> sending on Socket/fallback/fallback-net DHCPDISCOVER on lo to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 5 DHCPDISCOVER on lo to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval5... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nitesh_tarbani
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Create an ISO image of whole system

Hi All, Please help me with this. My plan is to create an ISO image of my current solaris 8 OS.Because we use a stripped out version of solaris 8 which is different than the standard one in CD. Will dd command will do ? My idea is to create a VMware image from iso file and play it in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jartan
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

transfering kernel image to another system

my server system is low on disk. To install a new kernel I think i shall do the following: 1. compile the kernel on another system. 2. copy bzImage along with config, System.map and of course the laodable module in /lib/modules and transfer them to the server. 3. Now, I can remove the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr_mabuse
0 Replies
CPMCP(1)							   User commands							  CPMCP(1)

NAME
cpmcp - copy files from and to CP/M disks SYNOPSIS
cpmcp [-f format] [-p] [-t] image user:file file cpmcp [-f format] [-p] [-t] image user:file ... directory cpmcp [-f format] [-p] [-t] image file user:file cpmcp [-f format] [-p] [-t] image file ... user: DESCRIPTION
cpmcp copies one or more files to or from a CP/M disk. When copying multiple files, the last argument must be a drive or directory. The drive letter does not matter because the device is specified by the image, it is only used to specify which direction you want to copy. The user number is specified after the drive letter, if omitted user 0 is used. You can use * and ? in CP/M file names, which have the same meaning in sh(1) file name patterns. OPTIONS
-f format Use the given CP/M disk format instead of the default format. -p Preserve time stamps when copying files from CP/M to UNIX (not implemented for copying the other way so far). -t Convert text files between CP/M and UNIX conventions. RETURN VALUE
Upon successful completion, exit code 0 is returned. ERRORS
Any errors are indicated by exit code 1. FILES
/etc/cpmtools/diskdefs CP/M disk format definitions AUTHORS
This program is copyright 1997-2010 Michael Haardt <michael@moria.de>. The Windows port is copyright 2000, 2001 John Elliott <jce@seasip.demon.co.uk>. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MER- CHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program. If not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA. SEE ALSO
cpmls(1), cpm(5) CP
/M tools March 30, 2010 CPMCP(1)