Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Matching pattern script (sed or awk?) Post 302447570 by gazza-o on Monday 23rd of August 2010 02:49:18 PM
Old 08-23-2010
Matching pattern script (sed or awk?)

Hi Guys,

I am new to the forum and to scripting so bear with me.

Thanks, Gary.

I have 3 files - file1, file2, file3

I am trying to come up with a script that will check the output of these files and if the 1st nine fields are matched in all 3 files, echo "The following string had been matched in all 3 files - "string"

i.e.

file1
Code:
WARNING: The Job Test for Scheduler abc is late. A run should have been expected by
WARNING: The Tester for Scheduler def is late. A run was expected by

file2
Code:
WARNING: The Tester for Scheduler ghi is late. A run has not completed
WARNING: The Tester for Scheduler def is late. A run should have been expected by

file3
Code:
WARNING: The Tester for Scheduler def is late. A run was expected by

So, the output in the above instance would be

The following string had been matched in all 3 files - "WARNING: The Tester for Scheduler def is late. A"

Please note that abc, def and ghi can be any number of different combinations, so long as the 1st 9 fields are matched in all 3 files I want to report it.

Last edited by Scott; 08-24-2010 at 05:54 AM.. Reason: Added code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern matching sed

MSG="THERE WERE XX RECORDS IN ERROR TABLE,AAAA, WHEN LOADING THE BBBB TABLE WITH EXTRACT FROM CCCC INTO TABLES FOR , DATABASE DDDD." echo "$MSG" > /tmp/mplanmsg.$$.out I wan to replace XX with the content in $recordXX cat /tmp/mplanmsg.$$.out|sed 's/XX/\$recordXX/g'| sed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: leemjesse
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pattern matching New to Sed & Awk

Hello, Despite reading the Pattern Matching chapter in the O'Reilly Sed & Awk book several times and looking at numerous examples, I cannot seem to get any kind of conditional script to work in my awk scripts! I am able to do the basic awk and grep script to capture the data but when I do with... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pg55
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed pattern matching

Hi, I have a file which contains a word like ravi and ravi30. i want to replace only the word ravi with xxx for that i am using the below sed command sed -e 's/ravi/xxx/g' . but the above command out put is xxx and xxx30 but i dont need to change ravi30 please guide me how to proceed.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi_rn
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - matching pattern one but not pattern two

All, I have the following file: -------------------------------------- # # /etc/pam.d/common-password - password-related modules common to all services # # This file is included from other service-specific PAM config files, # and should contain a list of modules that define the services... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RobertBerrie
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sed pattern matching

Hi My log file is Testtmp2 cat Testtmp2 12:12:38 12:14:29 12:17:34 12:19:08 12:20:10 12:21:35 12:22:20 12:22:26 12:22:34 12:22:38 12:28:14 12:31:35 12:32:50 12:33:04 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahkumar
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk pattern matching in place of sed

I have written a script to parse data from some files on a Solaris 10 system and send the output to a CSV formatted file. The code snipped i am using to pull the data is as follows.... src_line=$(sed -n "/^search_pattern$/{=;}" $file) for i in $src_line do start_line1=$(( i + 9 )) nawk -v... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: electricheadx
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing lines matching a multi-line pattern (sed/perl/awk)

Dear Unix Forums, I am hoping you can help me with a pattern matching problem. What am I trying to do? I want to replace multiple lines of a text file (that match a multi-line pattern) with a single line of text. These patterns can span several lines and do not always have the same number of... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: thefang
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed: printing lines AFTER pattern matching EXCLUDING the line containing the pattern

'Hi I'm using the following code to extract the lines(and redirect them to a txt file) after the pattern match. But the output is inclusive of the line with pattern match. Which option is to be used to exclude the line containing the pattern? sed -n '/Conn.*User/,$p' > consumers.txt (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: essem
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use sed to get first matching pattern

HI, I have a file: listenerport: - 1521 - 10520 - 10521 - 10522 - 10523 instances: listenerport: listenerport: - 1521 - 10540 - 10541 - 10542 - 10543 instances: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: netbanker
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script issue redirecting to multiple files after matching pattern

Hi All I am having one awk and sed requirement for the below problem. I tried multiple options in my sed or awk and right output is not coming out. Problem Description ############################################################### I am having a big file say file having repeated... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kshitij
4 Replies
DIFF3(1)						      General Commands Manual							  DIFF3(1)

NAME
diff3 - 3-way differential file comparison SYNOPSIS
diff3 [ -ex3 ] file1 file2 file3 DESCRIPTION
Diff3 compares three versions of a file, and publishes disagreeing ranges of text flagged with these codes: ==== all three files differ ====1 file1 is different ====2 file2 is different ====3 file3 is different The type of change suffered in converting a given range of a given file to some other is indicated in one of these ways: f : n1 a Text is to be appended after line number n1 in file f, where f = 1, 2, or 3. f : n1 , n2 c Text is to be changed in the range line n1 to line n2. If n1 = n2, the range may be abbreviated to n1. The original contents of the range follows immediately after a c indication. When the contents of two files are identical, the contents of the lower-numbered file is suppressed. Under the -e option, diff3 publishes a script for the editor ed that will incorporate into file1 all changes between file2 and file3, i.e. the changes that normally would be flagged ==== and ====3. Option -x (-3) produces a script to incorporate only changes flagged ==== (====3). The following command will apply the resulting script to `file1'. (cat script; echo '1,$p') | ed - file1 FILES
/tmp/d3????? /usr/lib/diff3 SEE ALSO
diff(1) BUGS
Text lines that consist of a single `.' will defeat -e. Files longer than 64K bytes won't work. DIFF3(1)