Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Redirecting output to both console and to a file Post 302447557 by bartus11 on Monday 23rd of August 2010 01:44:48 PM
Old 08-23-2010
This is exactly what "tee" utility does. Here is an example:
Code:
cat file1 | tee copy_of_file1

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting <talk> output to a file

Is it possible to run <talk> such that both sides of the conversation are written to the screen and also to a file? I use the utility to chat with collaborators and sometimes it would be nice to have a record of our conversation while we are problem solving. I am running OS X, so <talk>... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cej
4 Replies

2. AIX

Redirecting Both to a file and std output

Hello Friends, Can some one help me how to redirect output of a file to both a file and std output? All the help would be greatly appreciated. Regards Sridhar (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: send2sridhar
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting output of a command to a file

Hi We are having a requirement where one shell script, say a.sh (which uses Java and connects to Oracle database using JDBC) keeps on running everytime. I created a wrapper (to check whether a.sh is running and if not then to start it) and scheduled it in the crontab. Now all the output from... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ankitgoel
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting output that was redirected to variable and console

Hi all, I would like to store the output of a command in a variable and output it to the console at the same time. This is working fine using the following construct var=`command | tee /dev/tty` I use this in some scripts to display the output of the command on the console and, at the same... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: script_man
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting output to file

Hi, Below is the whole string which is to be redirected to the new file. su - oracle -c "exp $user/$pass file=/oracle/oradata/backup/exp_trn_tables_`date +%d_%b_20%y_%H_%M_%S`.dmp log=/oracle/oradata/backup/exp_trn_tables_`date +%d_%b_20%y_%H_%M_%S`.log tables=table1,table2 statistics=none" ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: milink
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl :How to print the o/p of a Perl script on console and redirecting same in log file @ same time.

How can i print the output of a perl script on a unix console and redirect the same in a log file under same directory simultaneously ? Like in Shell script, we use tee, is there anything in Perl or any other option ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: butterfly20
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Redirecting console output to ILOM during installation

Hi, I need to install solaris remotely via the ILOM port on a x4170 box, and I have downloaded the Solaris 11 for x86 - text install image and burned it on a DVD. When I boot the box, it's showing the boot_archive loading percentage on the SP console, but when it's done and start the interactive... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: u_paludan
0 Replies

8. Linux

RHEL 6.3 - chage command not redirecting the output to console.

When i am issuing chage command, it reporting the output properly. But when i redirect the output, i am not getting the output in the mentioned path. chage -l root >> /tmp/chage.txt. I need to use this into the script to capture the data. I think its seems to be bug with RHEL 6.3. Same... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Srini.rk1983
3 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Help with redirecting output to an HTML file

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I'm having trouble redirecting the output of my sysinfo_page script into my sysinfo_page.html file. The task at hand is to be able to email both the html file and the script to myself. I'm assuming that the html should appear as a web... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: braing
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting output to file

Hi, I have created script which redirect the output to file.I am able to get the output in file but not in the format. Output :Content of the log which have 10 -15 lines. Actal :Line1 ..Line 2Line3 Line4 Line 5 Expected:Line1 Line 2 Line3 Please... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthik771
7 Replies
TEE(2)							     Linux Programmer's Manual							    TEE(2)

NAME
tee - duplicating pipe content SYNOPSIS
#define _GNU_SOURCE /* See feature_test_macros(7) */ #include <fcntl.h> ssize_t tee(int fd_in, int fd_out, size_t len, unsigned int flags); DESCRIPTION
tee() duplicates up to len bytes of data from the pipe referred to by the file descriptor fd_in to the pipe referred to by the file descriptor fd_out. It does not consume the data that is duplicated from fd_in; therefore, that data can be copied by a subsequent splice(2). flags is a series of modifier flags, which share the name space with splice(2) and vmsplice(2): SPLICE_F_MOVE Currently has no effect for tee(); see splice(2). SPLICE_F_NONBLOCK Do not block on I/O; see splice(2) for further details. SPLICE_F_MORE Currently has no effect for tee(), but may be implemented in the future; see splice(2). SPLICE_F_GIFT Unused for tee(); see vmsplice(2). RETURN VALUE
Upon successful completion, tee() returns the number of bytes that were duplicated between the input and output. A return value of 0 means that there was no data to transfer, and it would not make sense to block, because there are no writers connected to the write end of the pipe referred to by fd_in. On error, tee() returns -1 and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
EINVAL fd_in or fd_out does not refer to a pipe; or fd_in and fd_out refer to the same pipe. ENOMEM Out of memory. VERSIONS
The tee() system call first appeared in Linux 2.6.17; library support was added to glibc in version 2.5. CONFORMING TO
This system call is Linux-specific. NOTES
Conceptually, tee() copies the data between the two pipes. In reality no real data copying takes place though: under the covers, tee() assigns data in the output by merely grabbing a reference to the input. EXAMPLE
The following example implements a basic tee(1) program using the tee() system call. #define _GNU_SOURCE #include <fcntl.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <unistd.h> #include <errno.h> #include <limits.h> int main(int argc, char *argv[]) { int fd; int len, slen; if (argc != 2) { fprintf(stderr, "Usage: %s <file> ", argv[0]); exit(EXIT_FAILURE); } fd = open(argv[1], O_WRONLY | O_CREAT | O_TRUNC, 0644); if (fd == -1) { perror("open"); exit(EXIT_FAILURE); } do { /* * tee stdin to stdout. */ len = tee(STDIN_FILENO, STDOUT_FILENO, INT_MAX, SPLICE_F_NONBLOCK); if (len < 0) { if (errno == EAGAIN) continue; perror("tee"); exit(EXIT_FAILURE); } else if (len == 0) break; /* * Consume stdin by splicing it to a file. */ while (len > 0) { slen = splice(STDIN_FILENO, NULL, fd, NULL, len, SPLICE_F_MOVE); if (slen < 0) { perror("splice"); break; } len -= slen; } } while (1); close(fd); exit(EXIT_SUCCESS); } SEE ALSO
splice(2), vmsplice(2) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.53 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2012-05-04 TEE(2)