Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How to allow particular user only to login as a root using "ssh" ? Post 302447455 by citaylor on Monday 23rd of August 2010 08:41:47 AM
Old 08-23-2010
What O/S are you running ? If it is Linux or Solaris (others may provide the same functionality) then you may be able to tweak the pam.conf to provide this functionality. (see pam_succeed_if.so and pam_deny.so for info)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

sendmail "root... User address required." error

I'm running sendmail (8.13.8+Sun/8.13.8/Submit) solaris 10. When I send mail to root at the command line (whether I use a full-qualified address or just root), I get the error message root... User address required. Sending mail to root (either at the command line or in a cron job),... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: csgonan
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

script that can give login password for "ssh" without involving STDIN

Hi Folks, I am writing a shell script that can logon to remote machine automatically. But, I am facing one problem. I am using "ssh" command in script and while login into remote machine it asks for passowrd and it stops for STDIN input for password. I want my script to supply password... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gydave
2 Replies

3. Red Hat

error"warning: user owen does not exist - using root"?

I am trying to install openmotif22-2.2.3-18.src.rpm, after I typed in " rpm -i openmotif22-2.2.3-18.src.rpm" the following message comes out: warning: user owen does not exist - using root warning: group owen does not exist - using root I am install openmotif under root account. Do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fishwater00
2 Replies

4. Solaris

"! bad user (root)" in cron log

I am getting the following error in the cron log: ! bad user (root) Wed Sep 22 14:30:00 2010 < root 8989 c Wed Sep 22 14:30:00 2010 rc=1 What does this mean? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jastanle84
5 Replies

5. AIX

ssh public key auth "Remote login for account is not allowed" ?

Hello, Using AIX 6.1 boxes. User user1 connects from box A to box B using ssh. When password authentication is used everything is fine. When I configure user1 to use public key authentication sftp client works fine(no password asked), but ssh client fails. This is sshd log: Accepted publickey... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
3 Replies

6. HP-UX

Unable To Perform A "Passwordless" SSH Login To A Server

Greetings! I am trying to perform a passwordless SSH login from a HPUX 11.31 client to a HPUX 11.31 server. Whenever I do a "ssh -l root serverA" from the client, I am prompted for a password. Giving the password, I am able to successfully login. However I am trying to accomplish a... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rob Sandifer
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is the significance of sh -s in ssh -qtt ${user}@${host} "sh -s "${version}"" < test.sh?

Please can you help me understand the significance of providing arguments under sh -s in > ssh -qtt ${user}@${host} "sh -s "${version}"" < test.sh (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sree10
4 Replies

8. AIX

Change "root" to "root.admin" in outgoing e-mails

Our AIX servers send e-mails which have the "from" address set to "root@company.com" for our root user ("C{M}company.com" in /etc/sendmail.cf). The problem is that when bad e-mails are sent out or rejected by remote servers, they are being returned and delivered to e-mail box of "Mary Root". ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kah00na
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Root running a script calling to scp using user "xyz" is not authenticating!

Close duplicate thread. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: denissi
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to run root level command , if user has "su -" permission in sudoers provided?

I am looking t run root level command on multiple servers, but all servers have only "su - " permission available in sudoers. please help me if any way that I can run command using help of "su -" My script for hosts in `cat hosts.txt`; do echo "###########################Server Name-... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yash_message
5 Replies
pam_deny(5)						Standards, Environments, and Macros					       pam_deny(5)

NAME
pam_deny - PAM authentication, account, session and password management PAM module to deny operations SYNOPSIS
pam_deny.so.1 DESCRIPTION
The pam_deny module implements all the PAM service module functions and returns the module type default failure return code for all calls. The following options are interpreted: debug syslog(3C) debugging information at the LOG_AUTH|LOG_DEBUG levels ERRORS
The following error codes are returned: PAM_ACCT_EXPIRED If pam_sm_acct_mgmt is called. PAM_AUTH_ERR If pam_sm_authenticate is called. PAM_AUTHOK_ERR If pam_sm_chauthtok is called. PAM_CRED_ERR If pam_sm_setcred is called. PAM_SESSION_ERR If pam_sm_open_session or pam_sm_close_session is called. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Disallowing ssh none authentication sshd-none auth requisite pam_deny.so.1 sshd-none account requisite pam_deny.so.1 sshd-none session requisite pam_deny.so.1 sshd-none password requisite pam_deny.so.1 Example 2 Disallowing any service not explicitly defined other auth requisite pam_deny.so.1 other account requisite pam_deny.so.1 other session requisite pam_deny.so.1 other password requisite pam_deny.so.1 ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for a description of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT Level |MT-Safe with exceptions | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
su(1M), libpam(3LIB), pam(3PAM), pam_sm_authenticate(3PAM), syslog(3C), pam.conf(4), nsswitch.conf(4), attributes(5), pam_authtok_check(5), pam_authtok_get(5), pam_authtok_store(5), pam_dhkeys(5), pam_passwd_auth(5), pam_unix_account(5), pam_unix_auth(5), pam_unix_session(5), privileges(5) NOTES
The interfaces in libpam(3LIB) are MT-Safe only if each thread within the multi-threaded application uses its own PAM handle. The pam_deny module is intended to deny access to a specified service. The other service name may be used to deny access to services not explicitly specified. SunOS 5.11 16 Jun 2005 pam_deny(5)