Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Regular exp in awk
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Regular exp in awk Post 302447411 by gvj on Monday 23rd of August 2010 05:36:15 AM
Old 08-23-2010
@zaxxon:
in your awk script
Code:
Code:
  awk -F"[ _]" '{sub(/Map/,"",$3); print $3}' infile

you r deleting the 'map', but what i want is to store the digits after map in order to do some logical test (say if the digit is > 5 then print the whole line)

Geo

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using reg. exp. variable in AWK??

Any idea please: How to pass a reg. exp. variable to awk call in a shell??? Thank u #!/bin/sh reg_exp=name awk '/reg_exp/{ print; }' $1 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: andy2000
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk and regular expression

Ive got a file with words and also numbers. Bla BLA 10 10 11 29 12 89 13 35 And i need to change "10,29,89,25" and also remove anything that contains actually words... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: maskot
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

regular expression and awk

I can print a line with an expression using this: awk '/regex/' I can print the line immediately before an expression using this: awk '/regex/{print x};{x=$0}' How do I print the line immediately before and then the line with the expression? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nickg
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

usage...sed/awk/reg-exp ..in shell scripting

in shell scripting there is extensive usage of i> regular expression ii>sed iii>awk can anyone tell me the suitable contexts ...i mean which one is suitable for what kind of operation. like the reg-exp and sed seems to be doing the same job..i.e pattern matching (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mobydick
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extract a part of a path like (input: /etc/exp/home/bin ====> output: exp)

Hi, I need to make some extraction . with the following input to get the right output. input: /etc/exp/home/bin ====> output: exp and input: aex1234 ===> output: ex Thanks for your help, (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yeclota
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk regular expressions

Hi Experts, Can you please help me out for the below scenario, I have a variable length file with the fixed number of columns, in which the fields are delimited by pipe symbol (|). From that file I have to extract the lines which has the following scenario, The field1 in a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chella
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression in AWK

Hello world, I was wondering if there is a nicer way to write the following code (in AWK): awk ' FNR==NR&&$1~/^m$/{tok1=1} FNR==NR&&$1~/^m10$/{tok1=1} ' my_file In fact, it looks for m2, m4, m6, m8 and m10 and then return a positive flag. The problem is how to define 10 thanks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jolecanard
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

scripting/awk help : awk sum output is not comming in regular format. Pls advise.

Hi Experts, I am adding a column of numbers with awk , however not getting correct output: # awk '{sum+=$1} END {print sum}' datafile 2.15291e+06 How can I getthe output like : 2152910 Thank you.. # awk '{sum+=$1} END {print sum}' datafile 2.15079e+06 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk regular expression

Hello, I have big files which I wanna filter them based on first column. first column should be one of these strings: chr2L || chr2R || chr3L || chr3R || chr4 || chrX and something like chr2Lh or chrY or chrM3L is not accepted. I used the following command: awk '{ if ($1=="chr2L" ||... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: @man
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use regular exp to replace the character in the file?

Hi Unix Gurus, yesterday I asked a question and got answer, it works fine. I have one more thing need to help in the code awk '{print substr($0,1,3)"xxx"substr($0,7)}' file If I have 50 charactor's need to be replaced, is there any easy way to use reg exp or I have to input 50 XXXXx......... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
12 Replies
makedbm(8)						      System Manager's Manual							makedbm(8)

NAME
makedbm - Makes a Network Information Service (NIS) dbm file SYNOPSIS
/var/yp/makedbm [-i yp_input_file] [-s yp_secure_name] [-a method] [-o yp_output_name] [-d yp_domain_name] [-m yp_master_name] infile out- file /var/yp/makedbm [-u dbmfilename] OPTIONS
Specifies that NIS maps are to be stored in one of the following formats: btree -- Recommended when creating and maintaining very large maps. dbm/ndbm -- For backward compatibility. This is the default. hash -- A potentially quicker method for managing small maps. Cre- ates a special entry with the key yp_input_file. Creates a special entry with the key yp_secure_file. This causes the makedbm command to write a secure map. The key value ypserver looks for YP_SECURE. Creates a special entry with the key yp_output_name. Creates a special entry with the key yp_domain_name. Creates a special entry with the key yp_master_name. If no master host name is specified, yp_mas- ter_name will be set to the local host name. Undoes a dbm file. That is, prints out a dbm file one entry per line, with a single space separating keys from values. DESCRIPTION
The makedbm command takes the file specified by the argument infile and converts it to a single file or a pair of files in dbm(3), btree(3), or hash(3) format. The dbm(3) files are stored as outfile.pag and outfile.dir. The btree(3) files are stored as outfile.btree. Each line of the input file is converted to a single dbm record. All characters up to the first tab or space form the key, and the rest of the line is defined as the key's associated data. If a line ends with a backslash (), the data for that record is continued onto the next line. It is left for the Network Information Service (NIS) clients to interpret the number sign (#); makedbm does not treat it as a comment character. The infile parameter can be a hyphen (-), in which case makedbm reads the standard input. The makedbm command is meant to be used in generating database files for NIS. The makedbm command generates a special entry with the key yp_last_modified, which is the date of infile. RESTRICTIONS
You must use the same database format for each map in a domain. In addition, a server serving multiple NIS domains must use the same data- base format for all domains. Although a Tru64 UNIX NIS server that takes advantage of btree files will be able to store very large maps, NIS slave servers that lack this feature might have a much smaller limit on the number of map entries they can handle. It may not be possible to distribute very large maps from a Tru64 UNIX NIS master server to a slave server that lacks support for very large maps. NIS clients are not affected by these enhancements. EXAMPLES
The following example shows how a combination of commands can be used to make the NIS dbm files passwd.byname.pag and passwd.byname.dir from the /etc/passwd file. The percent sign (%) signifies the system prompt. % awk 'BEGIN { FS = ":"; OFS = " "; } { print $1, $0 }' /etc/passwd > ptmp % makedbm ptmp passwd.byname % rm ptmp The awk command creates the file ptmp which is in a form usable by makedbm. The makedbm command uses the ptmp file to create the database files. The rm command removes the ptmp file. The following is an example of the makedb command used with the btree format database routine to store NIS maps. makedbm -a b ... SEE ALSO
Commands: yppasswd(1), ypmake(8) Functions: btree(3), dbm(3), dbopen(3), hash(3), ndbm(3) makedbm(8)