Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Comparing strings with sed
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Comparing strings with sed Post 302447286 by cola on Sunday 22nd of August 2010 06:45:50 AM
Old 08-22-2010
I have edited the output.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing two strings

Hi How do i compare two strings in shell script. Below is an example but I am not getting the desired output, plz help if then echo success fi I am not getting the desired output if I do this. plz help (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: ragha81
24 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Comparing strings

I have two strings a=Mar22 b=may21 how can I compare them Is this fine if then; . ... else .... fi or if then (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yakyaj
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing Two Strings

Hi All, While I am trying to run below code I Am getting the exception like ./abs.sh: line 102: syntax error near unexpected token `then' ./abs.sh: line 102: ` then' The Code Snippet is: if then cat $file1 | sed -e... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anji
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing strings

i have a string in a file which gets repeated number of times like below: rpttxt("abc") . . rpttxt("REP_TITLE") rpttxt("BOS_TITLE") . . . . and so on using awk or grep how can i comapre the string( as the second half keeps varying) and store it in a temporary variable? I am using the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: agarwal
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing 2 strings

hi i have 2 strings. i want to compare the strings. please help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish@123
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing two strings

hi All i am facing prob in comparing two strings that have two word. below is the code snippet. checkValidates="file validates" file3_name="file" if then echo "file" $file3_name "is validated successfully" fi when i run this i get the error as -bash: [: too many arguments ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: infyanurag
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Comparing 2 strings from text

Hey guys how do I compare 2 strings from the text file, and check for duplication? For example, I add an item call Laptop, it will record to the textfile call file. If it detects duplicate it will say the record record exist? file.txt contains Laptop:Sony:1000 Phone:Apple:30 A head... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aLHaNz
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Strings comparing incorrectly

Hello I'm very new to Linux and shell scripting so I only know basic stuff. I'm making a script with the purpose of finding the longest string or word in a file. Here's what I got so far: #!/bin/bash longest="" for i in $(strings -n $1); do if ] then longest=$i fi done echo $longest... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SCB
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing strings as ints

Hi, So I got his code below. $year is a string of 2010,2011 etc. I guess I want to convert $year to an integer so I can do my if statement to see if the year string is greater than 2010? Or how could I do this? Right now I get a syntax error doing this. if; then do stuff fi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsekvsek
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing Strings in ksh88

Hi I tried the following string comparison script in Ksh88 #!/bin/ksh str1='aC' str2='ABC' if then echo "Equal" else echo "Not Equal" fi Though str1 and str2 are not equal the script output says Equal . Please correct me Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: smile689
2 Replies
UTMPDUMP(1)							   User Commands						       UTMPDUMP(1)

NAME
utmpdump - dump UTMP and WTMP files in raw format SYNOPSIS
utmpdump [options] [filename] DESCRIPTION
utmpdump is a simple program to dump UTMP and WTMP files in raw format, so they can be examined. utmpdump reads from stdin unless a file- name is passed. OPTIONS
-f, --follow Output appended data as the file grows. -o, --output file Write command output to file instead of standard output. -r, --reverse Undump, write back edited login information into the utmp or wtmp files. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. NOTES
utmpdump can be useful in cases of corrupted utmp or wtmp entries. It can dump out utmp/wtmp to an ASCII file, which can then be edited to remove bogus entries, and reintegrated using: utmpdump -r < ascii_file > wtmp But be warned, utmpdump was written for debugging purposes only. File formats The only binary version of the utmp(5) is standardised. Textual dumps may become incompatible in future. The version 2.28 was the last one that printed text output using ctime(3) timestamp format. Newer dumps use millisecond precision ISO-8601 timestamp format in UTC-0 timezone. Conversion from former timestamp format can be made to binary, although attempt to do so can lead the timestamps to drift amount of timezone offset. BUGS
You may not use the -r option, as the format for the utmp/wtmp files strongly depends on the input format. This tool was not written for normal use, but for debugging only. AUTHOR
Michael Krapp SEE ALSO
last(1), w(1), who(1), utmp(5) AVAILABILITY
The utmpdump command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils /util-linux/>. util-linux July 2014 UTMPDUMP(1)