Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find the middle character from a string using sed Post 302447266 by cola on Sunday 22nd of August 2010 04:41:09 AM
Old 08-22-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrutinizer
Code:
$ echo qwertmyuiop | sed ':a;s/.\(.*\)./\1/;ta'
m

or
Code:
sed -e ':a' -e 's/.\(.*\)./\1/;ta'

Could you please explain these command?
(:a and ;ta) how are those use?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem to add the string(without sed & awk) into the middle of file

Hi, I have tried many times to add the string into the first line of the file or the middle of the file but could not find the solution. I first tried by $echo "paki" >> file This code only append paki string at the end of file "file" but how can i add this "paki" into the first line or... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali hussain
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace first character of string sed

I want to change the first/or any character of a string to upper-case: String: test Desired results: Test or tEst or teSt or tesT thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: prkfriryce
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find and replace character in a string

Hi all, My problem is the following: I've a script that must list all files in a directory and write this information in a text file. I've tried to get the list through ls command and then write it using msgecho msgecho "`ls $PATH_APS_JOB_ORA`" This works good but the created string... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: callimaco0082
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

To find a character immediately following a specified String

Hello, I have a UNIX file in which data is like this -- ISA*00* *00* *01*006415160 *01*137361242 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: The Observer
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find index of last occurence of a character within a string

I need to find the index of last '|' (highlighted in bold) in awk : |ifOraDatabase.Lastservererr<>0then|iferr_flag<>0then|end if Please suggest a way... Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: joyan321
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to find text between a "string " and character ","

Hello everyone Sorry I have to add another sed question. I am searching a log file and need only the first 2 occurances of text which comes after (note the space) "string " and before a ",". I have tried sed -n 's/.*string \(*\),.*/\1/p' filewith some, but limited success. This gives out all... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: haggismn
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find string in a file and append character

Hi Experts, Is there a way to find a string in a file then append a character to that string then save the file or save to another file. Here is an example. >cat test.txt NULL NULL NULL 9,800.00 NULL 1,234,567.01 I want to find all NON NULL String and add a dollar sign to those... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: brichigo
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find last occurrence of a character in a string

Hello how to find last occurence of a string for example in the following I want last occurence of '-' i.e. position 12 str="aa-bbb-cccc-ddd-ee" my pupose is to get the string 'ee' Thanks and Regards Chetanz (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chetanz
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

To find nth position of character in string

Hi guyz i want to know nth position of character in string. For ex. var="UK,TK,HK,IND,AUS" now if we see 1st occurance of , is at 3 position, 2nd at 6,..4th at 13 position. 1st position we can find through INDEX, but what about 2nd,3rd and 4th or may be upto nth position. ? In oracle we had... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jonty Immortal
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed searches a character string for a specified delimiter character, and returns a leading or traili

Hi, Anyone can help using SED searches a character string for a specified delimiter character, and returns a leading or trailing space/blank. Text file : "1"|"ExternalClassDEA519CF5"|"Art1" "2"|"ExternalClass563EA516C"|"Art3" "3"|"ExternalClass305ED16B8"|"Art9" ... ... ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fspalero
2 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangVar(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangVar(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangVar - standard codes for language variation identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangVar; $lvar = code2langvar('acm'); # $lvar gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langvar2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langvar_codes(); @names = all_langvar_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangVar" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language variations, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language variations. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lvar = code2langvar('en','alpha-2'); $lvar = code2langvar('en',LOCALE_CODE_ALPHA_2); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of alphanumeric codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'arevela' for Eastern Armenian. This code set is identified with the symbol "LOCALE_LANGVAR_ALPHA". This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langvar ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langvar2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langvar_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langvar_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langvar_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::rename_langvar ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::rename_langvar_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2014-01-06 Locale::Codes::LangVar(3pm)