Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: mv command not found bug
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting mv command not found bug Post 302447260 by bartus11 on Sunday 22nd of August 2010 04:11:47 AM
Old 08-22-2010
Did you do anything with $PATH variable in that script?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how can i check in csh if command found or not found ?

hello all im trying to use in sun Solaris the information received from the top command now i several machines that dont have install the top program so when im running the script im geting error saying after im running this code : set MemoryInfo = `top | grep Memory` if (... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
2 Replies

2. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Have I found a bug?

When searching for new posts, I see that my voting in one of the polls counts as a 'new post'. However, while the '<blah> minutes ago' entry updates correctly, the 'by <username>' is the last user to actually post a comment in the poll instead. Result: Poll: vB Guest Book 39... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Smiling Dragon
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash: <command nm> command not found

I created a script that I need to run from time to time, but get this error message. To get it working again I run this command from time to time: export PATH="$PATH:~/scripts" I put all my automated scripts in the /scripts directory and would like to run my scripts from any directory... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: catalinawinemxr
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

When i am trying to execute export command within a shell script it is saying command not found.

I am running the export command within a view to use that value inside my build script. But while executing it it is saying "export command not found" My code is as follows: -------------------------- #!/bin/sh user="test" DIR="/bldtmp/"$user VIEW="test.view1" echo "TMPDIR before export... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dchoudhury
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to terminate command execution when string found in the command output

Hi Experts, I am very much new to linux scripting, I am currently working on reducing my manual work and hence writing a script to automate few task. I am running below command to snmpwalk the router.. snmpwalk -v 3 -u WANDL_SU -a MD5 -A vfipmpls -x DES -X VfIpMpLs -l authPriv... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hanumant.madane
19 Replies

6. Linux

Bug in date command?

Why is the result of this command off (or less) by one hour date --date "1979-10-26 +54 hours" +%Y%m%d%H The result is 1979102805 It actually should be 1979102806 It does it with adding minutes as well and only occurs on Oct. 26, from what I can tell. What's going on here? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hsemune
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Strange bug crontab command line php / bcompiler

Hello everyone, I have a small problem that I'm stuck for several days and I do not go out. I tell you, I have a php script that I want to run crontab, it uses a compiled bcompiler file. In my php file if(file_exists("php/Alibrary.phb")){ include_once("php/Alibrary.phb"); What I do... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nicolas33770
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Command not found

On my MAC - I get Command not found error for some command like mvn , java_home etc . I CD to the actual directory to take path out of picture and even then i get the command not found error . anyone else have the same problem ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ambm01
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Has AudioScope found a bug in bash 4.4.5?

Using AudioScope.sh on Ubuntu 17.04 from a live DVD disc I came across an error. Consider the code below it is a MUCH shortened version of the KEYBOARD input in AudioScope. #!/bin/bash bash --version uname -a status=0 KEYBOARD() { read -r -p "Enter QUIT or EXIT to quit:- " kbinput if ||... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
11 Replies
command(1)							   User Commands							command(1)

NAME
command - execute a simple command SYNOPSIS
command [-p] command_name [argument...] command [-v | -V] command_name DESCRIPTION
The command utility causes the shell to treat the arguments as a simple command, suppressing the shell function lookup. If the command_name is the same as the name of one of the special built-in utilities, the special properties will not occur. In every other respect, if command_name is not the name of a function, the effect of command (with no options) will be the same as omitting command. The command utility also provides information concerning how a command name will be interpreted by the shell. See -v and -V. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -p Performs the command search using a default value for PATH that is guaranteed to find all of the standard utilities. -v Writes a string to standard output that indicates the path or command that will be used by the shell, in the current shell execu- tion environment to invoke command_name, but does not invoke command_name. o Utilities, regular built-in utilities, command_names including a slash character, and any implementation-provided functions that are found using the PATH variable will be written as absolute path names. o Shell functions, special built-in utilities, regular built-in utilities not associated with a PATH search, and shell reserved words will be written as just their names. o An alias will be written as a command line that represents its alias definition. o Otherwise, no output will be written and the exit status will reflect that the name was not found. -V Writes a string to standard output that indicates how the name given in the command_name operand will be interpreted by the shell, in the current shell execution environment, but does not invoke command_name. Although the format of this string is unspecified, it will indicate in which of the following categories command_name falls and include the information stated: o Utilities, regular built-in utilities, and any implementation-provided functions that are found using the PATH variable will be identified as such and include the absolute path name in the string. o Other shell functions will be identified as functions. o Aliases will be identified as aliases and their definitions will be included in the string. o Special built-in utilities will be identified as special built-in utilities. o Regular built-in utilities not associated with a PATH search will be identified as regular built-in utilities. o Shell reserved words will be identified as reserved words. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: argument One of the strings treated as an argument to command_name. command_name The name of a utility or a special built-in utility. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Making a version of cd that always prints out the new working directory exactly once cd() { command cd "$@" >/dev/null pwd } Example 2: Starting off a ``secure shell script'' in which the script avoids being spoofed by its parent IFS=' ' # The preceding value should be <space><tab><newline>. # Set IFS to its default value. unalias -a # Unset all possible aliases. # Note that unalias is escaped to prevent an alias # being used for unalias. unset -f command # Ensure command is not a user function. PATH="$(command -p getconf _CS_PATH):$PATH" # Put on a reliable PATH prefix. # ... At this point, given correct permissions on the directories called by PATH, the script has the ability to ensure that any utility it calls is the intended one. It is being very cautious because it assumes that implementation extensions may be present that would allow user func- tions to exist when it is invoked. This capability is not specified by this document, but it is not prohibited as an extension. For exam- ple, the ENV variable precedes the invocation of the script with a user startup script. Such a script could define functions to spoof the application. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of command: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, and NLSPATH. PATH Determine the search path used during the command search, except as described under the -p option. EXIT STATUS
When the -v or -V options are specified, the following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 The command_name could not be found or an error occurred. Otherwise, the following exit values are returned: 126 The utility specified by command_name was found but could not be invoked. 127 An error occurred in the command utility or the utility specified by command_name could not be found. Otherwise, the exit status of command will be that of the simple command specified by the arguments to command. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sh(1), type(1), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 command(1)