Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to delete ending/trailing spaces using awk,sed,perl? Post 302447102 by jlliagre on Saturday 21st of August 2010 01:37:30 AM
Old 08-21-2010
Code:
sed 's/ *$//'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strip leading and trailing spaces only in a shell variable with embedded spaces

I am trying to strip all leading and trailing spaces of a shell variable using either awk or sed or any other utility, however unscuccessful and need your help. echo $SH_VAR | command_line Syntax. The SH_VAR contains embedded spaces which needs to be preserved. I need only for the leading and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to remove trailing spaces

Hi, I have a file like this (ADD_MONTHS((Substr(Trim(BOTH FROM Translate(Maximum(closeDa ------------------------------------------------------------ 2007-06-30 00:00:00 I have a requirement where i need just the date. When i do: tail -1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahek_bedi
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete lines ending in "_;" using sed

I could really use some help with this issue. I'm having a lot of trouble getting my sed command to delete only the lines from my file that end with _; I'm also supposed to carry the leading 'c' down to the next line. The commands I've tried either delete everything or nothing at all. Any help... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: turbulence
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing leading and trailing spaces only in PERL

Hi All, I have a file with the following contents with multiple lines 172445957| 000005911|8| 400 Peninsula Ave.#1551 | And,K |935172445957|000005911 607573888 |000098536 | 2|Ane, B |J |Ane |1868 |19861206|20090106|20071001 I want to trim the "leading and trailing spaces only" from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumar04
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk/sed/perl command to delete specific pattern and content above it...

Hi, Below is my input file: Data: 1 Length: 20 Got result. Data: 2 Length: 30 No result. Data: 3 Length: 20 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: edge_diners
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[solved] Trailing spaces

Hello People How to check whether lines in a text file have trailing spaces or not and if a line have trailing spaces then how many trailing spaces line have? Regards ARvind kumar (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arvindk.monu
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove spaces using awk,sed,perl?

Input: 3456 565 656 878 235 8 4 8787 3 7 35 878 Expected output: 3456 565 656 878 235 8 4 8787 3 7 35 878 How can i do this with awk,sed and perl? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed (or awk or perl) to delete rows in a file

I have a Unix file with 200,000 records, and need to remove all records from the file that have the character ‘I' in position 68 (68 bytes from the left). I have searched for similar problems and it appears that it would be possible with sed, awk or perl but I do not know enough about any of these... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: joddo
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete Lines : after pattern1 and between pattern2 and pattern3 using awk/sed/perl

Hi I need to delete lines from a file which are after pattern1 and between pattern 2 and patter3, as below: aaaaaaaa bbbbbbbb pattern1 cdededed ddededed pattern2 fefefefe <-----Delete this line efefefef <-----Delete this line pattern3 adsffdsd huaserew Please can you suggest... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vk2012
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed delete leading spaces in a .csv if not in a string

Solaris, ksh I have a .csv file I am trying to clean up before loading into the database. The file contains comma separated columns that have leading spaces which I need to remove. The trouble is, some columns that should not be touched are strings which happen to have the same pattern in them. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gary_w
4 Replies
PYP(1)							      General Commands Manual							    PYP(1)

NAME
pyp - The Pyed Piper: A Modern Python Alternative to awk, sed and Other Unix Text Manipulation Utilities SYNOPSIS
pyp [options] files ... DESCRIPTION
pyp, the Pyed Piper, is a command line tool for text manipulation. It is similar to awk and sed in functionality, but its subcommands are Python based, and thus more familiar to many programmers. It can operate both on a per-line base and on the complete input stream. Different features can be pipelined in a single command by using the pipe character familiar from shell commands. pyp backs up its input for reruns with modified commands, and can save commands as macros. On the downside, the rerun feature makes it unsuitable for continuous pipe operation. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. For a complete description, use --manual. -h, --help Show this help message and exit. -m, --manual Prints out extended help. -l, --macro_list Lists all available macros. -s MACRO_SAVE_NAME, --macro_save=MACRO_SAVE_NAME Saves current command as macro. use "#" for adding comments EXAMPLE: pyp -s "great_macro # prints first letter" "p[1]". -f MACRO_FIND_NAME, --macro_find=MACRO_FIND_NAME Searches for macros with keyword or user name. -d MACRO_DELETE_NAME, --macro_delete=MACRO_DELETE_NAME Deletes specified public macro. -g, --macro_group Specify group macros for save and delete; default is user. -t TEXT_FILE, --text_file=TEXT_FILE Specify text file to load. For advanced users, you should typically cat a file into pyp. -x, --execute Execute all commands. -c, --turn_off_color Prints raw, uncolored output. -u, --unmodified_config Prints out generic PypCustom.py config file. -b BLANK_INPUTS, --blank_inputs=BLANK_INPUTS Generate this number of blank input lines; useful for generating numbered lists with variable 'n'. -n, --no_input Use with command that generates output with no input; same as --dummy_input 1. -k, --keep_false Print blank lines for lines that test as False. default is to filter out False lines from the output. -r, --rerun Rerun based on automatically cached data from the last run. Use this after executing "pyp", pasting input into the shell, and hitting CTRL-D. SEE ALSO
awk(1), grep(1), sed(1). AUTHOR
pyp was written by Toby Rosen <tobyrosen@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Khalid El Fathi <khalid@elfathi.fr>, for the Debian project (and may be used by others). March 19, 2012 PYP(1)