Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: how to add duplicate lines
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to add duplicate lines Post 302447089 by mikey11415 on Saturday 21st of August 2010 12:16:27 AM
Old 08-21-2010
hm
when I use
awk '{printf( "%s\n", $1 ) }' ZZline_char > ZZline_char1

it prints each number onto a separate line. the thing is that i want the first column from two rows from ZZline_char on the same line.
Then, on the next line, I want to cat another file

So ZZline_char looks like this
11 test
22 junk

i want a file that looks like this
11 22

then i have a second file that only has this

i want the final output to be
11 22

what i was getting was
11 22 100

now i am getting

you are all AMAZINGLY helpful!!!

mikey

---------- Post updated at 11:58 PM ---------- Previous update was at 11:36 PM ----------

OMG I did it!

awk '{printf $1 " "}' ZZline_char > ZZline_char1
echo " " > ZZnewline

then

cat ZZline_char1 ZZnewline ZZthird > dataset

that ZZnewline just put a line in there for me!!!

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!!!

Now I can sleep!!!

All the best

Mikey

---------- Post updated 08-21-10 at 12:16 AM ---------- Previous update was 08-20-10 at 11:58 PM ----------

thanks so much everyone, that solved everything!!!

best

mikey

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Duplicate lines in the file

Hi, I have a file with duplicate lines in it. I want to keep only the duplicate lines and delete the non duplicates. Can some one please help me? Regards Narayana Gupta (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: guptan
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Duplicate Lines x 4

Hi Guys and Girls I'm having trouble outputing from a sorted file... i have a looooong list of PVIDs and need to only output only those which occur 4 times!! Any suggestions? ie I need to uniq (but not uniq (i've been through the man pg) this: cat /tmp/disk.out|awk '{print $3}' |grep -v... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: serm
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Duplicate columns and lines

Hi all, I have a tab-delimited file and want to remove identical lines, i.e. all of line 1,2,4 because the columns are the same as the columns in other lines. Any input is appreciated. abc gi4597 9997 cgcgtgcg $%^&*()()* abc gi4597 9997 cgcgtgcg $%^&*()()* ttt ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dr_sabz
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Duplicate lines in a file

Hi All, I am trying to remove the duplicate entries in a file and print them just once. For example, if my input file has: 00:44,37,67,56,15,12 00:44,34,67,56,15,12 00:44,58,67,56,15,12 00:44,35,67,56,15,12 00:59,37,67,56,15,12 00:59,34,67,56,15,12 00:59,35,67,56,15,12... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: faiz1985
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print duplicate lines

I have a file where some of the lines are duplicates. How do I use bash to print all the lines that have duplicates? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

In a huge file, Delete duplicate lines leaving unique lines

Hi All, I have a very huge file (4GB) which has duplicate lines. I want to delete duplicate lines leaving unique lines. Sort, uniq, awk '!x++' are not working as its running out of buffer space. I dont know if this works : I want to read each line of the File in a For Loop, and want to... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnix
16 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to duplicate lines

Hello, I'm trying to write an script that in a txt with lines with 2 or more columns separated by commas, like hello, one, two bye, goal first, second, third, fourth hard, difficult.strong, word.line will create another in which if a line has more than 2 columns, it will have another... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: clinisbud
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Duplicate lines in a file

I have a file with following data A B C I would like to print like this n times(For eg:5 times) A B C A B C A B C A B C A (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nsuresh316
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Duplicate lines

Dear All, I have a two-column data file and want to duplicate data in second column w.r.t. first column. My file looks like: 2 5.672 1 3.593 3 8.260 ... And the desired format: 5.672 5.672 3.593 8.260 8.260 8.260 ... How may I do so please? I appreciate any help you may... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sxiong
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove duplicate lines?

Hi All, I am storing the result in the variable result_text using the below code. result_text=$(printf "$result_text\t\n$name") The result_text is having the below text. Which is having duplicate lines. file and time for the interval 03:30 - 03:45 file and time for the interval 03:30 - 03:45 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nalu
4 Replies
COLORGCCRC(5)							File Formats Manual						     COLORGCCRC(5)

NAME
colorgccrc - configuration file for colorgcc DESCRIPTION
A colorgccrc configuration file is used to configure the highlighting of the compiler output from colorgcc. SYNTAX
Each line consists of a keyword designating a configuration variable. The keyword is followed by `:' and then one or several values (depending on the keyword). Lines beginning with a hash mark `#' are comments. CONFIGURATION VARIABLES
g++ | gcc | c++ | cc | g77 | gcj | gnat | gpc Specifies the paths to the compilers. Takes one value; a path to the compiler. nocolor Specifies what terminal types colorization should be disabled on. Takes one or several values, separated by whitespace. srcColor Specifies the highlighting attributes source-code should be given. Takes one or several color attributes. See the section COLOR ATTRIBUTES for more information. introColor Specifies the highlighting attributes for normal compiler output. Takes one or several color attributes. See the section COLOR ATTRIBUTES for more information. warningFileNameColor | errorFileNameColor Specifies the highlighting attributes for the filename in a warning or an error, respectively. Takes one or several color attributes. See the section COLOR ATTRIBUTES for more information. warningNumberColor | errorNumberColor Specifies the highlighting attributes for the line-number in a warning or an error, respectively. Takes one or several color attributes. See the section COLOR ATTRIBUTES for more information. warningMessageColor | errorMessageColor Specifies the highlighting attributes for the message-text in a warning or an error, respectively. Takes one or several color attributes. See the section COLOR ATTRIBUTES for more information. COLOR ATTRIBUTES
The following attributes are valid for highlighting. clear, reset bold, underline, underscore, blink, reverse, concealed black, red, green, yellow, blue, magenta, cyan, white on_black, on_red, on_green, on_yellow, on_blue, on_magenta, on_cyan, on_white SEE ALSO
gcc(1), colorgcc(1) HISTORY
Jan 15 2003: Initial version of this manual-page. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <jmoyers@geeks.com> AUTHORS
Jamie Moyers <jmoyers@geeks.com> is the author of colorgcc. This manual page was written by Joe Wreschnig <piman@sacredchao.net>, and modified by David Weinehall <tao@debian.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2003 Jamie Moyers This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. Jan 15, 2003 COLORGCCRC(5)