Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers SOLVED: Text file compare using perl Post 302446872 by suvenduperl on Friday 20th of August 2010 03:05:39 AM
Old 08-20-2010
Hello Guys,

Thanks for your nice suggestion.......
Its working out ......
superbbbbbbbbbbbbbb.....................

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Compare in PERL

I need to look at a log file every half hour or so to make sure that some activity is going on there. I thought I would write a quick PERL script that would copy the current log file to the temp directory, compare it to the previous log file (from 30 minutes ago) and exit with an error status if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Cbish68
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

SOLVED: reading config file in a perl script

Hi! I have a need to do this in Perl. script.pl -config file The script would be doing a wget/LWP on a URL which is defined in the config file. So when I run the script it should return either one of these conditions - 1) OK with exit status 0. Should also print "wget URL" 2)... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacki
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] perl and grep: get a script to look at more then one file

hi guys i have this very messy script, that looks in /var/log/messages.all for an error and reports if it finds the key works how can i get it to look at more then one file, i.e /var/log/message.all * so it looks in old logs as well thanks exit 0 if (isRenderNode(hostname)); my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ab52
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] I need help with a text file.

Hello everyone, I need to write a shell script for a file consisting of 3 columns, first column is frequency the second one is power and the last one is number of occurence. I basically need to get the power and the frequency corresponding to the highest number of occurrence number. Below is the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: johankor
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Formatting the text file

Hi All, I ahve requirement where I want to put the text file in into proper format. I am wondering how can i achieve that:- Host/Alias Name IP Address Resolved sinuiy01.infra.go2uti.com 10.240.8.158 N sinuid20.devtst.go2uti.com 10.240.8.230 N sinuid21.devtst.go2uti.com... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharsour
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] How to print specific text from a file?

Hi All, I have the below text file from which I have to cut particular section starting from PTR_Security_Rpeorting.cpf to PTR_Security_Reporting_Env93_export. Report Model............: "D:\Cognos_Publishing\tmp.a2R94KLQec"\PTR_Security_Reporting.cpf Report Output Script....:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vikram_Tanwar12
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 text file with 1 column in each file and write mismatch data to 3rd file

Hi, I need to compare 2 text files with around 60000 rows and 1 column. I need to compare these and write the mismatch data to 3rd file. File1 - file2 = file3 wc -l file1.txt 58112 wc -l file2.txt 55260 head -5 file1.txt 101214200123 101214700300 101250030067 101214100500... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Divya Nochiyil
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Replacing line of text while file is closed

Is it possible to replace a line of text within a file while it's closed with a single command or a script? Please show me an example or point me to a webpage that shows an example. The file has this line of text: LoginGraceTime 100 I want to replace it with the following: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wdg74
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] awk compare two different columns of two files and print all from both file

Hi, I want to compare two columns from file1 with another two column of file2 and print matched and unmatched column like this File1 1 rs1 abc 3 rs4 xyz 1 rs3 stu File2 1 kkk rs1 AA 10 1 aaa rs2 DD 20 1 ccc ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: justinjj
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] My script executes poorly as a text file.

Hello again, I have put together a shell script using sed and some shell commands, and it runs pretty well when I am in terminal, but when I save it as a text file and invoke it through the terminal by typing its path, all I get are errors. Can some one give me some hints as to what I am doing... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paul Walker
13 Replies
Pod::Text(3perl)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					  Pod::Text(3perl)

NAME
Pod::Text - Convert POD data to formatted ASCII text SYNOPSIS
use Pod::Text; my $parser = Pod::Text->new (sentence => 0, width => 78); # Read POD from STDIN and write to STDOUT. $parser->parse_from_filehandle; # Read POD from file.pod and write to file.txt. $parser->parse_from_file ('file.pod', 'file.txt'); DESCRIPTION
Pod::Text is a module that can convert documentation in the POD format (the preferred language for documenting Perl) into formatted ASCII. It uses no special formatting controls or codes whatsoever, and its output is therefore suitable for nearly any device. As a derived class from Pod::Simple, Pod::Text supports the same methods and interfaces. See Pod::Simple for all the details; briefly, one creates a new parser with "Pod::Text->new()" and then normally calls parse_file(). new() can take options, in the form of key/value pairs, that control the behavior of the parser. The currently recognized options are: alt If set to a true value, selects an alternate output format that, among other things, uses a different heading style and marks "=item" entries with a colon in the left margin. Defaults to false. code If set to a true value, the non-POD parts of the input file will be included in the output. Useful for viewing code documented with POD blocks with the POD rendered and the code left intact. indent The number of spaces to indent regular text, and the default indentation for "=over" blocks. Defaults to 4. loose If set to a true value, a blank line is printed after a "=head1" heading. If set to false (the default), no blank line is printed after "=head1", although one is still printed after "=head2". This is the default because it's the expected formatting for manual pages; if you're formatting arbitrary text documents, setting this to true may result in more pleasing output. margin The width of the left margin in spaces. Defaults to 0. This is the margin for all text, including headings, not the amount by which regular text is indented; for the latter, see the indent option. To set the right margin, see the width option. quotes Sets the quote marks used to surround C<> text. If the value is a single character, it is used as both the left and right quote; if it is two characters, the first character is used as the left quote and the second as the right quoted; and if it is four characters, the first two are used as the left quote and the second two as the right quote. This may also be set to the special value "none", in which case no quote marks are added around C<> text. sentence If set to a true value, Pod::Text will assume that each sentence ends in two spaces, and will try to preserve that spacing. If set to false, all consecutive whitespace in non-verbatim paragraphs is compressed into a single space. Defaults to true. stderr Send error messages about invalid POD to standard error instead of appending a POD ERRORS section to the generated output. utf8 By default, Pod::Text uses the same output encoding as the input encoding of the POD source (provided that Perl was built with PerlIO; otherwise, it doesn't encode its output). If this option is given, the output encoding is forced to UTF-8. Be aware that, when using this option, the input encoding of your POD source must be properly declared unless it is US-ASCII or Latin-1. POD input without an "=encoding" command will be assumed to be in Latin-1, and if it's actually in UTF-8, the output will be double-encoded. See perlpod(1) for more information on the "=encoding" command. width The column at which to wrap text on the right-hand side. Defaults to 76. The standard Pod::Simple method parse_file() takes one argument, the file or file handle to read from, and writes output to standard output unless that has been changed with the output_fh() method. See Pod::Simple for the specific details and for other alternative interfaces. DIAGNOSTICS
Bizarre space in item Item called without tag (W) Something has gone wrong in internal "=item" processing. These messages indicate a bug in Pod::Text; you should never see them. Can't open %s for reading: %s (F) Pod::Text was invoked via the compatibility mode pod2text() interface and the input file it was given could not be opened. Invalid quote specification "%s" (F) The quote specification given (the quotes option to the constructor) was invalid. A quote specification must be one, two, or four characters long. BUGS
Encoding handling assumes that PerlIO is available and does not work properly if it isn't. The "utf8" option is therefore not supported unless Perl is built with PerlIO support. CAVEATS
If Pod::Text is given the "utf8" option, the encoding of its output file handle will be forced to UTF-8 if possible, overriding any existing encoding. This will be done even if the file handle is not created by Pod::Text and was passed in from outside. This maintains consistency regardless of PERL_UNICODE and other settings. If the "utf8" option is not given, the encoding of its output file handle will be forced to the detected encoding of the input POD, which preserves whatever the input text is. This ensures backward compatibility with earlier, pre-Unicode versions of this module, without large numbers of Perl warnings. This is not ideal, but it seems to be the best compromise. If it doesn't work for you, please let me know the details of how it broke. NOTES
This is a replacement for an earlier Pod::Text module written by Tom Christiansen. It has a revamped interface, since it now uses Pod::Simple, but an interface roughly compatible with the old Pod::Text::pod2text() function is still available. Please change to the new calling convention, though. The original Pod::Text contained code to do formatting via termcap sequences, although it wasn't turned on by default and it was problematic to get it to work at all. This rewrite doesn't even try to do that, but a subclass of it does. Look for Pod::Text::Termcap. SEE ALSO
Pod::Simple, Pod::Text::Termcap, perlpod(1), pod2text(1) The current version of this module is always available from its web site at <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/software/podlators/>. It is also part of the Perl core distribution as of 5.6.0. AUTHOR
Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu>, based very heavily on the original Pod::Text by Tom Christiansen <tchrist@mox.perl.com> and its conversion to Pod::Parser by Brad Appleton <bradapp@enteract.com>. Sean Burke's initial conversion of Pod::Man to use Pod::Simple provided much- needed guidance on how to use Pod::Simple. COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009 Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu>. This program is free software; you may redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.14.2 2011-09-19 Pod::Text(3perl)