Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX ORACLE Database running slow on AIX ( nmon / topas ) Post 302446823 by zxmaus on Thursday 19th of August 2010 09:08:13 PM
Old 08-19-2010
Hi,

from your output above:
4815 free pages
each page is 4k ... ok ok 19 MB Smilie Still by far not enough for oracle to operate seamlessly. Once your free list goes to 0 what will very likely happen during backups or batches, the DB stops working until there are again a few pages free. Depending on the size and load on the database we try to keep the free list 6 digits if possible ... on high transactional huge databases even bigger - to have enough headroom to operate.

Kind regards
zxmaus

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Memory usage statistic? (topas, nmon)

hi, how can i diplay: - the ammount RAM used /free - ammount of ram used from a pid or prozess we have the problem, that malloc is returing a NULL pointer errno = 12 ( not enough space). but i think there is still ram free. nmon : shows all memory used ? Memory Use Physical Virtual... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lazzar
7 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

skgpspawn failed running oracle db 9.2.0.5.0 on aix 5.3

Hi, I am running an oracle db 9.2.0.5.0 on ibm p5 550 aix 5.3 with 10g ram, 10G swap space 3 database instances each SGA about 500Meg. I am getting the following error in my alert log file from time to time: skgpspawn failed:category = 27142, depinfo = 11, op = fork, loc = skgpspawn3 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hawkerpacific
0 Replies

3. AIX

nmon vs topas

good morning what is the better solution to examen a P570 ? because i use topas and nmon, and the results are totally different !!! with nmon, i have 80% free cpu, and with nmon, i have 90% of used cpu !!!!!! i take a shot with an intervall of 10s during 10 mn. thank you (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pascalbout
0 Replies

4. AIX

Top command in AIX 4.2 (no topas, no nmon, no top)?

Is there a 'top' command equivalent in AIX 4.2 ? I already checked and I do not see the following ones anywhere: top nmon topas (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
1 Replies

5. Solaris

what is the command to see which database ie..oracle in running on solaris 10

what is the command to see which database ie..oracle in running on solaris 10 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tv.praveenkumar
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running script automatically when threshold limit met in one of the field in oracle database

Hi Guys, Need you help in one point! I am working on one shell script which takes following steps : 1. Taking one query result from oracle database 2. Exporting that result to Xls file 3. Mailing that file to my own mail ID Now, I want to give a threshold limit to one of the column... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Agupte
0 Replies

7. AIX

Need to check long running processes on the database server and the os is AIX

Hello, Please help me with a script with which I can check long running processes on the database server and the os is AIX. Best regards, Vishal (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
5 Replies

8. AIX

AIX server running very slow

Hello, All the commands on AIX are running very slow. Below is few stats but I didn't find any issue in cpu or memory reosurces vmstat System configuration: lcpu=4 mem=6144MB ent=1.00 kthr memory page faults cpu ----- -----------... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
2 Replies
ALLOC_HUGEPAGES(2)                                           Linux Programmer's Manual                                          ALLOC_HUGEPAGES(2)

NAME
alloc_hugepages, free_hugepages - allocate or free huge pages SYNOPSIS
void *alloc_hugepages(int key, void *addr, size_t len, int prot, int flag); int free_hugepages(void *addr); DESCRIPTION
The system calls alloc_hugepages() and free_hugepages() were introduced in Linux 2.5.36 and removed again in 2.5.54. They existed only on i386 and ia64 (when built with CONFIG_HUGETLB_PAGE). In Linux 2.4.20, the syscall numbers exist, but the calls fail with the error ENOSYS. On i386 the memory management hardware knows about ordinary pages (4 KiB) and huge pages (2 or 4 MiB). Similarly ia64 knows about huge pages of several sizes. These system calls serve to map huge pages into the process's memory or to free them again. Huge pages are locked into memory, and are not swapped. The key argument is an identifier. When zero the pages are private, and not inherited by children. When positive the pages are shared with other applications using the same key, and inherited by child processes. The addr argument of free_hugepages() tells which page is being freed: it was the return value of a call to alloc_hugepages(). (The memory is first actually freed when all users have released it.) The addr argument of alloc_hugepages() is a hint, that the kernel may or may not follow. Addresses must be properly aligned. The len argument is the length of the required segment. It must be a multiple of the huge page size. The prot argument specifies the memory protection of the segment. It is one of PROT_READ, PROT_WRITE, PROT_EXEC. The flag argument is ignored, unless key is positive. In that case, if flag is IPC_CREAT, then a new huge page segment is created when none with the given key existed. If this flag is not set, then ENOENT is returned when no segment with the given key exists. RETURN VALUE
On success, alloc_hugepages() returns the allocated virtual address, and free_hugepages() returns zero. On error, -1 is returned, and errno is set appropriately. ERRORS
ENOSYS The system call is not supported on this kernel. FILES
/proc/sys/vm/nr_hugepages Number of configured hugetlb pages. This can be read and written. /proc/meminfo Gives info on the number of configured hugetlb pages and on their size in the three variables HugePages_Total, HugePages_Free, Hugepagesize. CONFORMING TO
These calls are specific to Linux on Intel processors, and should not be used in programs intended to be portable. NOTES
These system calls are gone; they existed only in Linux 2.5.36 through to 2.5.54. Now the hugetlbfs filesystem can be used instead. Mem- ory backed by huge pages (if the CPU supports them) is obtained by using mmap(2) to map files in this virtual filesystem. The maximal number of huge pages can be specified using the hugepages= boot parameter. COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2017-09-15 ALLOC_HUGEPAGES(2)