Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with WGET and renaming downloaded files :( Post 302446786 by Corona688 on Thursday 19th of August 2010 05:35:29 PM
Old 08-19-2010
It always helps to read the manpage.
Code:
$ man wget

WGET(1)                            GNU Wget                            WGET(1)

NAME
       Wget - The non-interactive network downloader.

SYNOPSIS
       wget [option]... [URL]...

DESCRIPTION
       GNU Wget is a free utility for non-interactive download of files from
       the Web.  It supports HTTP, HTTPS, and FTP protocols, as well as
       retrieval through HTTP proxies.

--force-directories
           The opposite of -nd---create a hierarchy of directories, even if
           one would not have been created otherwise.  E.g. wget -x
           http://fly.srk.fer.hr/robots.txt will save the downloaded file to
           fly.srk.fer.hr/robots.txt.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

question regarding ftp. Files downloaded are of size Zero.

I need to download some files from a remote server using ftp. I have ftp'd into the site. I then do an mget * to retrieve all of the data files. Everything seems to proceed normally and I am given feedback that the files were downloaded. Now if I go into the DOS Shell or Windows explorer, it list... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ralphisnow
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to limit files downloaded by wget

I am trying to download a page and retrieve only wav and mp3 files via wget. the website is: Alarm Sounds | Free Sound Effects | Alarm Sound Clips | Sound Bites my command is : wget -rl 2 -e robots=off -A wav,mp3 http://soundbible.com/tags-alarm.html When not using the -A wav,mp3... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Narnie
2 Replies

3. Web Development

php files are downloaded

Hello, I have setup Cherokee web server and php 5.2 in Opensolaris zone. Problem is that all .php files are downloaded from web server and not served when I use IP address instead of DNS name in web brovser. Example: test.mydomain.com <-- php works 192.168.0.10/index.php <--... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kreno
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract urls from index.html downloaded using wget

Hi, I need to basically get a list of all the tarballs located at uri I am currently doing a wget on urito get the index.html page Now this index page contains the list of uris that I want to use in my bash script. can someone please guide me ,. I am new to Linux and shell scripting. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnanavati
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

renaming files or adding a name in the beginning of all files in a folder

Hi All I have a folder that contains hundreds of file with a names 3.msa 4.msa 21.msa 6.msa 345.msa 456.msa 98.msa ... ... ... I need rename each of this file by adding "core_" in the begiining of each file such as core_3.msa core_4.msa core_21.msa (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Specific image to be downloaded with wget

Hello All, I have gone through Google and came to know that we can download images from a site using wget. Now I am been asked to check whether an image is populated in a site or not. If yes, please send that image to an address as an attachment.. Say for example, the site is Wiki -... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sathyaonnuix
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH scripting - Preventing wget messed downloaded files

hello. How can I detect within script, that the downloaded file had not a correct size. linux:~ # wget --limit-rate=20k --ignore-length -O /Software_Downloaded/MULTIMEDIA_ADDON/skype-4.1.0.20-suse.i586.rpm ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loop till the files downloaded

Need assistance in writing a for loop script or any looping method. Below is the code where i can get all the files from the URL . There are about 80 files in the URL .Every day the files get updated . Script that i wanted is the loop must keep on running till it gets 80 files. It matches the count... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram_arya
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming multiple files in sftp server in a get files script

Hi, In sftp script to get files, I have to rename all the files which I am picking. Rename command does not work here. Is there any way to do this? I am using #!/bin/ksh For eg: sftp user@host <<EOF cd /path get *.txt rename *.txt *.txt.done ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhilmil
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting multiple files off an ftp server once they have been downloaded

Hello, I have a server that I have to ftp files off and they all start SGRD and are followed by 6 numbers. SGRD000001 SGRD000002 SGRD000003 The script I have will run every 10 mins to pick up files as new ones will be coming in all the time and what I want to do is delete the files I have... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sph90457
7 Replies
JIGDO-LITE(1)															     JIGDO-LITE(1)

NAME
jigdo-lite - Download jigdo files using wget SYNOPSIS
jigdo-lite [ URL ] DESCRIPTION
See jigdo-file(1) for an introduction to Jigsaw Download. Given the URL of a `.jigdo' file, jigdo-lite downloads the large file (e.g. a CD image) that has been made available through that URL. wget(1) is used to download the necessary pieces of administrative data (contained in the `.jigdo' file and a corresponding `.template' file) as well as the many pieces that the large file is made from. The jigdo-file(1) utility is used to reconstruct the large file from the pieces. `.jigdo' files that contain references to Debian mirrors are treated specially: When such a file is recognized, you are asked to select one mirror out of a list of all Debian mirrors. If URL is not given on the command line, the script prompts for a location to download the `.jigdo' file from. The following command line options are recognized: -h --help Output short summary of command syntax. -v --version Output version number. --scan FILES Do not ask for "Files to scan", use this path. --noask Do not ask any questions, instead behave as if the user had pressed Return at all prompts. This can be useful when running jigdo- lite from cron jobs or in other non-interactive environments. SEE ALSO
jigdo-file(1), jigdo-mirror(1), wget(1) (or `info wget') CD images for Debian Linux can be downloaded with jigdo <URL:http://www.debian.org/CD/jigdo-cd/>. AUTHOR
Jigsaw Download <URL:http://atterer.net/jigdo/> was written by Richard Atterer <jigdo atterer.net>, to make downloading of CD ROM images for the Debian Linux distribution more convenient. 19 May 2006 JIGDO-LITE(1)