Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: perl socket issue
Top Forums Programming perl socket issue Post 302446766 by steadyonabix on Thursday 19th of August 2010 03:36:11 PM
Old 08-19-2010
perl socket issue

Hi

I am teaching myself perl and am writing a socket application to get experience.

I am using Eclipse with the EPIC plugin to run the code in debug mode. I think that sometimes the script is not releasing the port if I terminate it in debug mode as I am occasionally getting the message: -

"bind: Address already in use"

When this happens I have to restart eclipse to clear the port.

I would be grateful if anyone could tell me how to free the port / socket and also if the code example I have built the script around could be strengthened in some way to ensure the socket is freed when the process is terminated.

Code:
##-----------------------------------------------
## create a socket, make it reusable
socket(SERVER, PF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, $proto) or die "socket: $!$LF"; 
setsockopt(SERVER, SOL_SOCKET, SO_REUSEADDR, 1) or die "setsock: $!$LF"; 

## Grab the port
my $paddr = sockaddr_in($lport, INADDR_ANY); 

## bind to the port and listen
bind(SERVER, $paddr) or die "bind: $!$LF"; 
listen(SERVER, SOMAXCONN) or die "listen: $!$LF";

Thanks in advance

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple socket programming in perl

hi i want to write simple socket program which will listen on socket . here is the code ## read msg on socket #! /usr/bin/perl use IO::Socket::INET; my $MySocket= IO::Socket::INET->new(LocalPort=>1234, Proto=>'udp') ; while ()... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zedex
2 Replies

2. Programming

Performance issue with C++ ,Socket

Hi all, I am facing some problem in Socket programming(C++ & Solaris 5.0).I am using socket as basic connecting point & MEP(Mesagae Exchange Protocol) as high level protocol to send & receive Message & ACK, between two different system. MEP is a protocol through which you can send MSG... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: amartya_sock
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

connect problem for sctp socket (ipv6 socket) - Runtime fail Invalid Arguments

Hi, I was porting ipv4 application to ipv6; i was done with TCP transports. Now i am facing problem with SCTp transport at runtime. To test SCTP transport I am using following server and client socket programs. Server program runs fine, but client program fails giving Invalid Arguments for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandrutiptur
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl socket

Hello there: What is default value of listen if I, avoid init it on constructor. I need maximum num for Listen. I want to write a daemon thus i need unlimited listen. my $sock = IO::Socket::INET->new( Listen => 20, LocalPort => $port, Reuse => 1) Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zaxon
3 Replies

5. Programming

C socket issue with SMTP

Hey guys, im trying to write a program that'll create a report then email the report... my problem is when it comes to the socket trying to send the second command after EHLO smtp,*.* When the first command is sent its working fine... but when the program tries to send the second command it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jess83
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl socket question

Hi there, Really quick question that I have been unable to find an answer for on the web is simply, can use the newer IO::Socket module on my sever process and use the older perl built-in "socket" module to connect to the IO:socket? or do i need to have the same module (be it socket or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rethink
1 Replies

7. Programming

socket function to read a webpage (socket.h)

Why does this socket function only read the first 1440 chars of the stream. Why not the whole stream ? I checked it with gdm and valgrind and everything seems correct... #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/stat.h> #include <string.h> #include... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyler
3 Replies

8. IP Networking

Clarification - Setting socket options at the same time when socket is listening

I need clarification on whether it is okay to set socket options on a listening socket simultaneously when it is being used in an accept() call? Following is the scenario:- -- Task 1 - is executing in a loop - polling a listen socket, lets call it 'fd', (whose file descriptor is global)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jake24
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Socket Programming in Perl

Hi All I am getting an error when using the below code Receiver use IO::Socket; $sock = new IO::Socket::INET (LocalHost => 'goldengate', LocalPort => 1200, Proto => 'tcp', Listen => 5, Reuse => 1 ); die "Socket could not be created. Reason: $!" unless $sock; while ($new_sock =... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: parthmittal2007
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[PERL] Check if socket is connected before sending data

Hello community, I'm programming a simple code using socket connection in perl: $sock = new IO::Socket::INET( PeerAddr => '192.168.10.7', PeerPort => 8000, Proto => 'tcp'); $sock or die "no socket :$!";Then sending data using a loop: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lord Spectre
1 Replies
NET-SERVER(1p)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    NET-SERVER(1p)

NAME
net-server - Base Net::Server starting module SYNOPSIS
net-server [base type] [net server arguments] net-server PreFork ipv '*' net-server HTTP net-server HTTP app foo.cgi net-server HTTP app foo.cgi app /=bar.cgi net-server HTTP port 8080 port 8443/ssl ipv '*' server_type PreFork --SSL_key_file=my.key --SSL_cert_file=my.crt access_log_file STDERR DESCRIPTION
The net-server program gives a simple way to test out code and try port connection parameters. Though the running server can be robust enough for full tim use, it is anticipated that this binary will just be used for basic testing of net-server ports, acting as a simple echo server, or for running development scripts as CGI. OPTIONS
"base type" The very first argument may be a Net::Server flavor. This is given as shorthand for writing out server_type "ServerFlavor". Additionally, this allows types such as HTTP and PSGI, which are not true Net::Server base types, to subclass other server types via an additional server_type argument. net-server PreFork net-server HTTP # becomes a HTTP server in the Fork flavor net-server HTTP server_type PreFork # preforking HTTP server "port" Port to bind upon. Default is 80 if running a HTTP server as root, 8080 if running a HTTP server as non-root, or 20203 otherwise. Multiple value can be given for binding to multiple ports. All of the methods for specifying port attributes enumerated in Net::Server and Net::Server::Proto are available here. net-server port 20201 net-server port 20202 net-server port 20203/IPv6 "host" Host to bind to. Default is *. Will bind to an IPv4 socket if an IPv4 address is given. Will bind to an IPv6 socket if an IPv6 address is given (requires installation of IO::Socket::INET6). If a hostname is given and "ipv" is still set to 4, an IPv4 socket will be created. If a hostname is given and "ipv" is set to 6, an IPv6 socket will be created. If a hostname is given and "ipv" is set to * (default), a lookup will be performed and any available IPv4 or IPv6 addresses will be bound. The "ipv" parameter can be set directly, or passed along in the port, or additionally can be passed as part of the hostname. net-server host localhost net-server host localhost/IPv4 There are many more options available. Please see the Net::Server documentation. AUTHOR
Paul Seamons <paul at seamons.com> LICENSE
This package may be distributed under the terms of either the GNU General Public License or the Perl Artistic License perl v5.14.2 2012-06-12 NET-SERVER(1p)