Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting difference in unix vs. linux sort Post 302446445 by aj.schaeffer on Wednesday 18th of August 2010 05:34:15 PM
Old 08-18-2010
Hmmm.

I just copied and pasted from my browser the output from "cat file.txt" to an empty gedit, saved, then from the command line ran "cat file.txt | sort -t';' -u",
and it produced the same output as the bottom output (the linux one). I'm not sure what I'm doing to the files by copying and pasting.

What sorted output did you get?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

difference between unix and linux?

Ok, I'm confused. Can someone answer these (stupid) questions please for me? 1. What is the difference between unix and linux? 2. Is FreeBSD a unix distribution? 3. If not, then what is Unix? I actually gone to Unix.com because I thought this is it's official website where I could download... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RellioN
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between UNIX and Linux

OK, I've used various versions of UNIX(Solaris, HPUX, etc..) over the years. Now the organization I work for is leaning towards more Linux based systems(Redhat, Suse, etc..) I do see differences in in comands and how to accomplish basic adminstration, but nothing mind blowing. So, what is it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbonilla
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What is the difference between Unix & linux

:confused: Hi All Can anyone help me in finding the answer of the question mentioned below. What is the difference between Unix & linux ? Thanks in Advance to all CSaha (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: csaha
1 Replies

4. AIX

difference between AIx and Linux and Unix

Sir , Can any body explain the difference between linux , Unix and AIx on command Reference all the command on AIx and unix is same or not please reply (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arif185
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

difference between unix and linux

Hi I am new to linux I have dout waht is the difference between UNIX and LINUX Is there any soft for insatallation for UNIX OS Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjaya
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between UNIX and Linux

hi experts please tell me the real difference between unix and linux at kernel structure (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: linurag
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX compare, sort lines and append difference

Hi, I have a file that needs to be converted: content is: a, b, 4 a ,b, 5 x, y, 1 a, b, 1 x, y, 3 how can i get: a, b, 1|4|5 x,y 1|3 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nike27
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

To make it easier, i gave following example. It is not homework or classwork. Instead, i have a huge csv file dump from tsql with 15 columns and around 300 rows. I was able to extract content that needs to be really converted. Here is the extract: ES FP,B1ES FP,70000,I,SL22,SL22 (70000) ES... (0 Replies)
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

To make it easier, i gave following example. It is not homework or classwork. Instead, i have a huge csv file dump from tsql with 15 columns and around 300 rows. I was able to extract content that needs to be really converted. Here is the extract: ES FP,B1ES FP,70000,I,SL22,SL22 (70000) ES... (8 Replies)
8 Replies
CAT(1)									FSF								    CAT(1)

NAME
cat - concatenate files and print on the standard output SYNOPSIS
cat [OPTION] [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
Concatenate FILE(s), or standard input, to standard output. -A, --show-all equivalent to -vET -b, --number-nonblank number nonblank output lines -e equivalent to -vE -E, --show-ends display $ at end of each line -n, --number number all output lines -s, --squeeze-blank never more than one single blank line -t equivalent to -vT -T, --show-tabs display TAB characters as ^I -u (ignored) -v, --show-nonprinting use ^ and M- notation, except for LFD and TAB --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input. AUTHOR
Written by Torbjorn Granlund and Richard M. Stallman. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for cat is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and cat programs are properly installed at your site, the command info cat should give you access to the complete manual. cat (coreutils) 4.5.3 February 2003 CAT(1)