Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Viewing a large file
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Viewing a large file Post 302446417 by methyl on Wednesday 18th of August 2010 03:10:35 PM
Old 08-18-2010
What Operating System and version do you have?
How big is the file?
Code:
ls -lad bigfilename

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

viewing are .tar.gz file

I have a dilema. We have a .tar.gz file that is 2.2 GB. I can't xfer to another machine with ftp, because ftp chokes on the 2 gb size. We can't uncompress the tarball either because it will blow any filesystem we have on this Sun box. Is there a way to view or even extract certain files from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lawadm1
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Viewing the cron file

Hi All, I am trying to look into the crontab file present in /var/spool/cron/crontab. A file with the name of the superuser name is present there with the -r-------- permission. Even I am logged in using the same superuser id. But while am trying to cat that, its prompting permission denied. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rinku11
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

viewing and searching large file

I need to search a very large file. 13g in size. i am looking for a record that has a value in the byte 4200 . how can i view the file or how can i search for value in the byte 4200? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Wrightman
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

viewing spanish file in vi editor

hi, I have a file in unix which contains spanish entries When I try to open the file in vi editor i can see some spaces as shown below when I ftp the same file and see in my machine i can see it clearly what settings i can use while viewing the file in vi plz find some snapshot of the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trichyselva
1 Replies

5. Linux

Viewing HTML file in network

Hi, I am new to Linux. I have indexnew.html file in /var/www/html. I have to view this file in the browser within the network and without using Apache server. Because, my Apache server gets the request to my application. I used http://localhost/indexnew.html to open the file, but it gets to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishnukumar
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Viewing a compiled executable file

I've got a executable binary file (source code fortran77, compiled using gfortran). I'm not sure this is even possible but I remember someone I knew was able to view the source code that created this binary file, i.e. he used a program that enabled him to see what the source code was. Is this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lost.identity
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Viewing XLSB file in Unix

Hello, Does anyone know how to view an XLSB file in unix? Thank you. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: narachaid
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading/Viewing an Unicode file

WE have a file coming from a server that has characters for 4-5 languages. If I download the file to my windows PC and open in Notepad ++, I can clearly see the text in different languages. Notepad++ is able to reder text that is in Portugese, French, Thai etc. My objective it to do the following:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vskr72
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Viewing a specific timeframe of a log file

Hi guys Done a bit of research online but can't seem to figure it out, is there anyway of grepping or using sed to view a specific time period of a log file. I am trying to view a log file for Saturday 22nd April between 08:00 - 12:00 I saw this command online and tried but doesn't seem to... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: simpsa27
10 Replies