Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Problem with sed in perl!!
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem with sed in perl!! Post 302446398 by durden_tyler on Wednesday 18th of August 2010 02:08:40 PM
Old 08-18-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhisharma23
I am facing an issue with sed in perl.
For removing header and trailer from file I am using the following command in perl file:
Code:
system (`sed '1d;2d;$d' File.txt > NewFile.txt`);

The problem is...
The problem is that you are trying to use sed in a Perl program.
That's like clubbing someone to death with a loaded Uzi, as Larry Wall says.

Perl is a full-fledged scripting language and I'd think it could do everything that sed could do. Maybe better.

Code:
$
$
$ cat f9
Header1
Header2
data1
data2
trailer
$
$
$
$ perl -lne 'print "DATA => $_" if $. > 2 && !eof' f9
DATA => data1
DATA => data2
$
$

tyler_durden

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl/Sed script help

Hi All, I would need to generate Oracle Inster scripts from an excel formatted spreadsheet as follows: This needs to be stripped as follows: REC 1, REC 2 etc are the separators of the records ... I beleive a pearl script can be written for this ... anything useful will be of... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sabyasm
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Perl] Accessing array elements within a sed command in Perl script

I am trying to use a script to replace the header of each file, whose filename are stored within the array $test, using the sed command within a Perl script as follows: $count = 0; while ( $count < $#test ) { `sed -e 's/BIOGRF 321/BIOGRF 332/g' ${test} > 0`; `cat 0 >... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: userix
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert sed to perl

Can anyone convert this from sed to perl: sed -n '/\var\/log/p' /etc/syslog.conf I think Ive looked at this to much....urgh.. Thanks Ben (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigben1220
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed/Perl help

Some text is like this.... <table>This is first text.</table>mouse <table>This is second text</table>keyboard <table>This is third text</table>Pad I need to insert <a></a> between "mouse","keyboard","Pad". I it possible to do with sed/Perl ? Please help.. The text should look like... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gameboy87
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help with sed/perl !

In a file the content is 13 box google unix.com "he is google" hello "he is unix.com" - I need to replace each space char with "a" char but not inside the double quoted strings. So, the output must look like, 13aboxagoogleaunix.coma"he is google"ahelloa"he is unix.com"a- I tried with ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: gameboy87
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

re-Substitution Sed (or Perl)

I have a large text csv file that I'm working with. It will look something like this: D,",E",C O,"F,",I O,gh,R The second column always has a two digit random code (can be numbers, letters or any characters). When one of the characters happens to be a comma, the string is quoted. I want to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: beenny
5 Replies

7. Web Development

problem with exporting vairable from one perl cgi to another perl cgi script while redirecting.

Can anyone tell me how to export a variable from one perl CGI script to another perl cgi script when using a redirect. Upon running the login.pl the user is prompted to enter user name and password. Upon entering the correct credentials (admin/admin) the user is redirected to welcome page. My... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arun_Linux
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl/sed Escape Syntax Problem . . .

Greetings! I've run into this before; and am having a spot of trouble trying to figure out the way that Perl would prefer the following example syntax to be formed:#!/usr/bin/perl use strict; use warnings; use diagnostics; `sed -i 's/Hi Mom!\|Hi Dad!/Bye Everyone!/I' ./test.txt`;Perl... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinQ
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed Or Grep Problem OR Terminal Problem?

I don't know if you guys get this problem sometimes at Terminal but I had been having this problem since yesterday :( Maybe I overdid the Terminal. Even the codes that used to work doesn't work anymore. Here is what 's happening: * I wanted to remove lines containing digits so I used this... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nexeu
25 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rewrite sed to perl or run sed in perl

I am having trouble re-writing this sed code sed -nr 's/.*del(+)ins(+).*NC_0{4}(+).*g\.(+)_(+).*/\3\t\4\t\5\t\1\t\2/p' C:/Users/cmccabe/Desktop/Python27/out_position.txt > C:/Users/cmccabe/Desktop/Python27/out_parse.txt in perl Basically, what the code does is parse text from two fields... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
12 Replies
Types(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						  Types(3)

NAME
Mac::Types - Macintosh Toolbox Types and conversions. DESCRIPTION
Access to Inside Macintosh is essential for proper use of these functions. Explanations of terms, processes and procedures are provided there. Any attempt to use these functions without guidance can cause severe errors in your machine, including corruption of data. You have been warned. Functions MacPack [ CONVERTERS ...] CODE, DATA ... Convert a perl value into a Mac toolbox type. Predefined codes are: TEXT Text (an identity operation). enum type keyw A 4-byte string. bool A boolean. shor A short integer. long A long integer. sing A single precision float. doub A double precision float. magn An unsigned long. qdrt A QuickDraw "Rect". 'STR ' A pascal style string. 'STR#' A string list. 'fss ' A file specification record. You can pass further code mappings as hash references. MacUnpack [ CONVERTERS ...] CODE, DATA Convert a Mac toolbox type into a perl value. Predefined codes are as for "MacPack". You can pass further code mappings as hash references. XS Functions Debugger [ MSG ] Break into MacsBug. Don't use this if you don't know what MacsBug is. AUTHOR
Written by Matthias Ulrich Neeracher <neeracher@mac.com>. Currently maintained by Chris Nandor <pudge@pobox.com>. perl v5.18.2 2017-10-06 Types(3)