Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Problem with sed in perl!!
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem with sed in perl!! Post 302446398 by durden_tyler on Wednesday 18th of August 2010 02:08:40 PM
Old 08-18-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhisharma23
I am facing an issue with sed in perl.
For removing header and trailer from file I am using the following command in perl file:
Code:
system (`sed '1d;2d;$d' File.txt > NewFile.txt`);

The problem is...
The problem is that you are trying to use sed in a Perl program.
That's like clubbing someone to death with a loaded Uzi, as Larry Wall says.

Perl is a full-fledged scripting language and I'd think it could do everything that sed could do. Maybe better.

Code:
$
$
$ cat f9
Header1
Header2
data1
data2
trailer
$
$
$
$ perl -lne 'print "DATA => $_" if $. > 2 && !eof' f9
DATA => data1
DATA => data2
$
$

tyler_durden

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl/Sed script help

Hi All, I would need to generate Oracle Inster scripts from an excel formatted spreadsheet as follows: This needs to be stripped as follows: REC 1, REC 2 etc are the separators of the records ... I beleive a pearl script can be written for this ... anything useful will be of... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sabyasm
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Perl] Accessing array elements within a sed command in Perl script

I am trying to use a script to replace the header of each file, whose filename are stored within the array $test, using the sed command within a Perl script as follows: $count = 0; while ( $count < $#test ) { `sed -e 's/BIOGRF 321/BIOGRF 332/g' ${test} > 0`; `cat 0 >... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: userix
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert sed to perl

Can anyone convert this from sed to perl: sed -n '/\var\/log/p' /etc/syslog.conf I think Ive looked at this to much....urgh.. Thanks Ben (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigben1220
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed/Perl help

Some text is like this.... <table>This is first text.</table>mouse <table>This is second text</table>keyboard <table>This is third text</table>Pad I need to insert <a></a> between "mouse","keyboard","Pad". I it possible to do with sed/Perl ? Please help.. The text should look like... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gameboy87
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help with sed/perl !

In a file the content is 13 box google unix.com "he is google" hello "he is unix.com" - I need to replace each space char with "a" char but not inside the double quoted strings. So, the output must look like, 13aboxagoogleaunix.coma"he is google"ahelloa"he is unix.com"a- I tried with ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: gameboy87
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

re-Substitution Sed (or Perl)

I have a large text csv file that I'm working with. It will look something like this: D,",E",C O,"F,",I O,gh,R The second column always has a two digit random code (can be numbers, letters or any characters). When one of the characters happens to be a comma, the string is quoted. I want to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: beenny
5 Replies

7. Web Development

problem with exporting vairable from one perl cgi to another perl cgi script while redirecting.

Can anyone tell me how to export a variable from one perl CGI script to another perl cgi script when using a redirect. Upon running the login.pl the user is prompted to enter user name and password. Upon entering the correct credentials (admin/admin) the user is redirected to welcome page. My... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arun_Linux
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl/sed Escape Syntax Problem . . .

Greetings! I've run into this before; and am having a spot of trouble trying to figure out the way that Perl would prefer the following example syntax to be formed:#!/usr/bin/perl use strict; use warnings; use diagnostics; `sed -i 's/Hi Mom!\|Hi Dad!/Bye Everyone!/I' ./test.txt`;Perl... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinQ
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed Or Grep Problem OR Terminal Problem?

I don't know if you guys get this problem sometimes at Terminal but I had been having this problem since yesterday :( Maybe I overdid the Terminal. Even the codes that used to work doesn't work anymore. Here is what 's happening: * I wanted to remove lines containing digits so I used this... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nexeu
25 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rewrite sed to perl or run sed in perl

I am having trouble re-writing this sed code sed -nr 's/.*del(+)ins(+).*NC_0{4}(+).*g\.(+)_(+).*/\3\t\4\t\5\t\1\t\2/p' C:/Users/cmccabe/Desktop/Python27/out_position.txt > C:/Users/cmccabe/Desktop/Python27/out_parse.txt in perl Basically, what the code does is parse text from two fields... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
12 Replies
UUENCODE(5)							File Formats Manual						       UUENCODE(5)

NAME
uuencode - format of an encoded uuencode file DESCRIPTION
Files output by uuencode(1) consist of a header line, followed by a number of body lines, and a trailer line. The uudecode(1) command will ignore any lines preceding the header or following the trailer. Lines preceding a header must not, of course, look like a header. The header line is distinguished by having the first 6 characters begin The word begin is followed by a mode (in octal), and a string which names the remote file. A space separates the three items in the header line. The body consists of a number of lines, each at most 62 characters long (including the trailing newline). These consist of a character count, followed by encoded characters, followed by a newline. The character count is a single printing character, and represents an inte- ger, the number of bytes the rest of the line represents. Such integers are always in the range from 0 to 63 and can be determined by sub- tracting the character space (octal 40) from the character. Groups of 3 bytes are stored in 4 characters, 6 bits per character. All are offset by a space to make the characters printing. The last line may be shorter than the normal 45 bytes. If the size is not a multiple of 3, this fact can be determined by the value of the count on the last line. Extra garbage will be included to make the character count a multiple of 4. The body is terminated by a line with a count of zero. This line consists of one ASCII space. The trailer line consists of end on a line by itself. SEE ALSO
uuencode(1), uudecode(1), uusend(1), uucp(1), mail(1) HISTORY
The uuencode file format appeared in BSD 4.0 . UUENCODE(5)