Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris BigAdmin RSS Why user has permissions to execute 'init 0'? Post 302446393 by swm on Wednesday 18th of August 2010 01:50:46 PM
Old 08-18-2010
As the simple user, please issue the command "which init".
If it ultimately points to /sbin/init, or even if it doesn't, I would look at why the set userid bit and set groupid bit are on (I never hear of set other id bit ). /sbin/init on the x86 system I'm running has the permissions r-xr-x-rx. (Check your other systems). Since the set userid bit is on, the script is run as root since root is the owner. If you feel bold; as the user try "init 6" and see if it reboots (assuming "which init" points to /sbin/init).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SCO

start script from - execute init 6 (not as root)

I have 2 questions : ---------------------------------- 1 - How can I execute a program when Unix Sco reboot? For example I have two script (two sockets) that I have to start from 2 different users (root and toto). I heard something about "etc/init.d" directory, but I don't know what to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: soshell
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help with permissions - execute but not delete

Hi, We have 2 users and one directory (dir). One user is admin user and other use r is operator user. who is responsible for just executing the scripts e.g. startWeblogic and stopWeblogic etc, we want to restrict this operator user in such a way that he can only execute these files and he should... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: reldb
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Default read/write/execute permissions

I am perplexed that my script execution is not always consistent in creating new files. Specifically, my group read/write/execute permissions. For instance, take a look at the following: -rw-rw---- 1 jg dp 18648 Aug 22 10:06 nx081508.txt -rw-rw---- 1 jg dp 22422 Aug 22 10:06... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: joeyg
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running file without execute permissions

Please explain this strange behavior to me bash-2.03$ ls -l abc -rw------- 1 bashboy users 319 Sep 21 18:02 abc bash-2.03$ ./abc bash: ./abc: Permission denied bash-2.03$ . abc Successfully run I wanted to ask how the file executes without the execute permissions when we... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshou
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

root user command in shell script execute as normal user

Hi All I have written one shell script for GPRS route add is given below named GPRSRouteSet.sh URL="www.google.com" VBURL="10.5.2.211" echo "Setting route for $URL for GPRS" URL_Address=`nslookup $URL|grep Address:|grep -v "#"|awk -F " " '{print $2}'|head -1` echo "Executing ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnmonu
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Why user has permissions to execute 'init 0'?

Hi all. On one workstation run Solaris 10 a simple user can to execute 'init 0' command without input (su and root password). Example: % init 0 % OK I don't understand how user can execute 'init 0' command on this workstation? 1) I checked /usr/local/etc/sudoers all lines are... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfgang
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using find to search for any owner having execute permissions.

Hi I need help. I need to use find (or grep I don't care) to recursively search for files who have any kind of executable permissions (group and/or owner and/or other). I am looking for *.c and *.h This what I am using now: find . -name *.h -perm -111 -print but I don't want to retype that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dissectcode
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

INIT: cannot execute "/etc/X11/prefdm"

Hi I tried the following but no joy! Inserted the linux installation cd.. ( rescue mode)... tried chroot /mnt/sysimage but I get chroot: cannot execute /bin/sh Checked the permission on /bin and it was set to ?r--rw-rx tried to do chmod –R 755 but got error operation not permitted ...... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: halacil
3 Replies

9. AIX

what user executes init on boot?

I have a command in init that trys to start a daemon and open a log, but a get an error error that the file access permissions do not allow the specified action. My permissions on the log file are: -rw-r--r-- 1 root system 4434 Mar 22 15:13 dsmerror.log The logfile is written to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pong3d
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script without execute permissions will work for a user?

Please help me to understand the issue: Issue: There are shell scripts in a user home directory (/home/user_1) without execute permissions (rw-r--r--) to owner,group and world These shell scripts were able to execute/work previously but its not working now and it says permission denied or... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MSK_1990
2 Replies
service(8)						      System Manager's Manual							service(8)

NAME
service - run a System V init script SYNOPSIS
service SCRIPT COMMAND [OPTIONS] service --status-all service --help | -h | --version DESCRIPTION
service runs a System V init script in as predictable an environment as possible, removing most environment variables and with the current working directory set to /. The SCRIPT parameter specifies a System V init script, located in /etc/init.d/SCRIPT. The supported values of COMMAND depend on the invoked script. service passes COMMAND and OPTIONS to the init script unmodified. All scripts should support at least the start and stop commands. As a special case, if COMMAND is --full-restart, the script is run twice, first with the stop command, then with the start com- mand. service --status-all runs all init scripts, in alphabetical order, with the status command. EXIT CODES
service calls the init script and returns the status returned by it. FILES
/etc/init.d The directory containing System V init scripts. ENVIRONMENT
LANG, TERM The only environment variables passed to the init scripts. SEE ALSO
/etc/init.d/skeleton, update-rc.d(8), init(8), invoke-rc.d(8). Jan 2006 service(8)