Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users awk function in handling quotes Post 302446180 by shahnazurs on Wednesday 18th of August 2010 03:15:50 AM
Old 08-18-2010
Thank you so much.
yeah, the output you produced is the requirement for me.

but -E didn't work for me either -r (no option).
I am using AIX 5.3

anything can be done here ?

Anticipating your reply.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

signal handling while in a function other than main

Hi, I have a main loop which calls a sub loop, which finally returns to the main loop itself. The main loop runs when a flag is set. Now, I have a signal handler for SIGINT, which resets the flag and thus stops the main loop. Suppose I send SIGINT while the program is in subloop, I get an error... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Theju
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

column handling in awk

Dear Scripting experts, I have a problem which i cannot get my head around and wondered if anyone can help me. I have two files "file1" and "file2" and i want to replace column one from file 1 with column one with file2.(where file two has many columns). see example.. ive tried to use cut and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mish_99
4 Replies

3. Programming

Handling a signal with a class member function

Hello, i am using the sigaction function to handle the SIGCHLD signal.Is it possible to use a class member function as the handler function (the sa_handler member of the sigaction structure)? The function's signature is: void (*sa_handler)(int);so i don't think i can use a static member function... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zipi
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Handling multiple fields of a database file for toupper() function in awk

hello everyone.... script is: To convert the contents of a database file into uppercase my code is: printf "%s\n" , $2 | awk '{print toupper($2)}' emp.lst i m able to do only for one field.....didn't get any sources for handling multiple fields. please suggest me for multiple... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Priyanka Bhati
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

quotes using awk

i want to print the statement below using awk,but i am unable to get the quotes ("22345",1,"Thank you"); How can i do this (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomjones
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

handling arrays with awk

Hi, I have an issue that I am trying to resolve using arrays in awk. I have two files, the first one is a dictionary with this format: FILE 1 (dictionary) 'Abrir' 'Open' 'Aceptar' 'Accept' Every line has two fields, a word in two languages. The second file is a simple list of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gmartinez
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk without quotes

I want to execute awk command without quotes. who am i | awk {'print $2'} above code should be something like: who am i | awk {print $2} Why such weird requirement? Im assigning command to a variable, hence i need to escape the quotes. e.g: x='who am i | awk {\'print $2\'}' I want... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arun_Linux
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Handling embedded double quotes within column data

I have a text file where each field is enclosed in double quotes and separated by a comma. But in certain rows we have embedded double quotes within column data For e.g """TRUSPICE CENTRE"" CLAYTON AU" The above value is for a single column but there are embedded quotes within... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhilashnair
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using quotes in awk

Hello, i had a problem running a script , and after investigation found its all to do with the quotes: cat file1 line1 val1 val2 line2 val1 val2 line3 val1 val2 awk 'BEGIN {RS="\n\n"; FS="\n";} {print $1 $2}' file1 This gives me the wrong output: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: andy391791
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help on awk for printing the function name inside each function

Hi, I am having script which contains many functions. Need to print each function name at the starting of the function. Like below, functionname() { echo "functionname" commands.... } I've tried like below, func=`grep "()" scriptname | cut -d "(" -f1` for i in $func do nawk -v... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sumanthsv
4 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)