Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Date Conversion on output string from awk Post 302445770 by agama on Monday 16th of August 2010 11:11:05 PM
Old 08-17-2010
If you don't have to worry about portability, and the date command installed on your system supports the -d option, this will work:

Code:
date -d "May 24 2010"  "+%Y/%m/%d"

You can incorporate that with your awk programme to convert your string. I'm not a POSIX expert, but I am fairly certain that this is notstandard at all, so go with caution if you decide on this route.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

String Conversion in awk

I am porting a awk script from Windows to unix I_SALE_MEDIA=$67 if ((I_VOID_FLAG == "Y") && (I_SALE_MEDIA == 0)) NOW consider the case where I_SALE_MEDIA i.e $67 is "000" The above comparison works fine in Windows , but to make it work in Unix , I had to change the above as follows : ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohanrege
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script for date conversion

hi awk script for dd/mm/yyyy to yyyymmdd awk script for dd-mon-yyyy to yyyymmdd awk script for dd-mm-yyyy to yyyymmdd formate ..............urgent............. Thanks in advanced (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: charandevu
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conversion of Exponential to numeric in awk- not correct output

Hi All, I have 1 million records file. Using awk, I am counting the number of records. But as the number is huge, after crossing a number, awk is displaying it in exponential format. At the end, I need to verify this count given by awk with expected count. But as it is in exponential format,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssunda6
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date string conversion within a file

Hi, I have a log file that contains information along the lines of the following: ========= jobnumber 322761 start_time Tue May 19 19:42:37 2009 end_time Tue May 19 20:11:28 2009 failed 0 ========= jobnumber 322762 start_time Tue May 19 19:39:51 2009 end_time ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrissycc
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: round output or delimit output of arithmatic string

I have a file with the following content. > cat /tmp/internetusage.txt 6709.296322 30000 2/7/2010 0.00I am using the following awk command to calculate a percentage from field 1 and 2 from the file. awk '{ print $1/$2*100 }' /tmp/internetusage.txt This outputs the value "22.3643" as a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jelloir
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date command output conversion

hi all, i need to measure time difference between the time a process started, to the time it ended. i am assuming the following are the steps: 1. output 'date' command at start time 2. output 'date' command at end time 3. subtract the two question is, how do i subtract the two time... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rathajs
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk string to number conversion

Can someone explain whats happening here: $ awk 'BEGIN {print (2.5 - 1)}' 1,5 2.5 - 1 is correctly calculated to 1,5 (using european locale) $ echo "2.5" | awk '{temp = $1 - 1; print temp}' 1 If i now pipe the string 2.5 through awk it seems at it truncates 2.5 to 2? What's the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: beow
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Most vexing: Sed or Awk scripting for date conversion needed

Hi, I have some files being sent to me that have dates in them in this format: from 1/8/2011 15:14:20 and I need the dates in this format (mysql date format) To 2011-01-08 15:14:20 all I have so far is the regexp that detects the format: sed -r -e 's@\1/\2/\3\4\5\6]::$@do... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Astrocloud
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

String to Date conversion

Hi, I have a String say 20131224 which represents a date. I want to to subtract 1 day from this. Any idea how can i do this on AIX. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RahulM
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Date format conversion how to change this from using nawk to awk

Hi, I have a file where I need to change the date format on the nth field from DD-MM-YYYY to YYYY-MM-DD so I can accurately sort the record by dates From regex - Use sed or awk to fix date format - Stack Overflow, I found an example using nawk. Test run as below: $: cat xyz.txt A ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies
DATETIME.__CONSTRUCT(3) 						 1						   DATETIME.__CONSTRUCT(3)

DateTime::__construct - Returns new DateTime object

Object oriented style

SYNOPSIS
public DateTime::__construct NULL ([string $time = "now"], [DateTimeZone $timezone]) DESCRIPTION
Procedural style DateTime date_create NULL ([string $time = "now"], [DateTimeZone $timezone]) Returns new DateTime object. PARAMETERS
o $time -A date/time string. Valid formats are explained in Date and Time Formats. Enter NULL here to obtain the current time when using the $timezone parameter. o $timezone - A DateTimeZone object representing the timezone of $time. If $timezone is omitted, the current timezone will be used. Note The $timezone parameter and the current timezone are ignored when the $time parameter either is a UNIX timestamp (e.g. @946684800) or specifies a timezone (e.g. 2010-01-28T15:00:00+02:00). RETURN VALUES
Returns a new DateTime instance. Procedural style returns FALSE on failure. ERRORS
/EXCEPTIONS Emits Exception in case of an error. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.3.0 | | | | | | | If $time contains an invalid date/time format, | | | then an exception is now thrown. Previously an | | | error was emitted. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 DateTime.__construct(3) example Object oriented style <?php try { $date = new DateTime('2000-01-01'); } catch (Exception $e) { echo $e->getMessage(); exit(1); } echo $date->format('Y-m-d'); ?> Procedural style <?php $date = date_create('2000-01-01'); if (!$date) { $e = date_get_last_errors(); foreach ($e['errors'] as $error) { echo "$error "; } exit(1); } echo date_format($date, 'Y-m-d'); ?> The above examples will output: 2000-01-01 Example #2 Intricacies of DateTime.__construct(3) <?php // Specified date/time in your computer's time zone. $date = new DateTime('2000-01-01'); echo $date->format('Y-m-d H:i:sP') . " "; // Specified date/time in the specified time zone. $date = new DateTime('2000-01-01', new DateTimeZone('Pacific/Nauru')); echo $date->format('Y-m-d H:i:sP') . " "; // Current date/time in your computer's time zone. $date = new DateTime(); echo $date->format('Y-m-d H:i:sP') . " "; // Current date/time in the specified time zone. $date = new DateTime(null, new DateTimeZone('Pacific/Nauru')); echo $date->format('Y-m-d H:i:sP') . " "; // Using a UNIX timestamp. Notice the result is in the UTC time zone. $date = new DateTime('@946684800'); echo $date->format('Y-m-d H:i:sP') . " "; // Non-existent values roll over. $date = new DateTime('2000-02-30'); echo $date->format('Y-m-d H:i:sP') . " "; ?> The above example will output something similar to: 2000-01-01 00:00:00-05:00 2000-01-01 00:00:00+12:00 2010-04-24 10:24:16-04:00 2010-04-25 02:24:16+12:00 2000-01-01 00:00:00+00:00 2000-03-01 00:00:00-05:00 SEE ALSO
DateTime.createFromFormat(3), DateTimeZone.__construct(3), Date and Time Formats, date.timezone ini setting, date_default_time- zone_set(3), DateTime.getLastErrors(3), checkdate(3). PHP Documentation Group DATETIME.__CONSTRUCT(3)