Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help - Find command to exclude sub-directories Post 302445749 by agama on Monday 16th of August 2010 06:40:57 PM
Old 08-16-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by pchang
agama - How do I go about embedding your code into a script?
Copied entire code just prior to the last pipe into a new script member test.sh - how to execute the script to read my table pchang.dat?

Sorry -- I failed to realise that the testing I was doing was reading the table in from stdin and thus no filename was presented to awk and thus my info wasn't percise.

You can either redirect the table into your script like this:

Code:
test.sh <pchang.dat

or pass the table name on the command line, and use add a $1 following the last single quote of the awk programme.

Code:
awk '
# lines of awk code
' $1

My recommendation would be the first way. If you use the second, then you should add a test in your script and generate an error message if the user forgets to put the table name on the command line.

The output will be the find commands, they won't be executed unless you pipe them into Kshell or bash. You can put the pipe into the script, or pipe the output manually -- I do this sometimes so that I can verify the commands before I execute them.

Code:
# execute the commands generated by test.sh
test.sh <table.dat | ksh

Hope this makes sense.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find command to exclude directories

Howdy I have this directory structure ... eep eepaptest eepfatest eepgltest eep.old eeppoptest ehf ehfaptest ehfgltest ehp ehpgltest I want to find files in these directories, but I want to exclude eep, ehf & ehp. Cany anyone help with the correct command ?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SmurfGGM
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find but exclude directories

Hello, I have a line in my script to find the files changed in the last 24 hours. It is as below: find /home/hary -type f -mtime -1 I now want to exclude a directory named "/home/hary/temp/cache" from the above find command. How do I add it to my script? Any help is appreciated. ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tadi18
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Exclude multiple directories from find command?

Hi, Can some one help me how to exclude multiple directories using find command.. I have the directory structure below. /a/a1/b1 /a/c1/c2 /a/d1/d2/d3 I want to exlcude a1,c2and d3 from the above using find,can some one suggest pls.. thanks in advance... Use code tags... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jagadish_gaddam
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl exclude directories in command line

Hi, I use find command to list all the files in a directory and its sub-directories, but the problem is to exclude certain directories during search. Can i give the directory names in command line to skip them and search rest of the directories? For example i have directories: test ../test1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nmattam
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find command to exclude directories and setup alias or script?

Hi, Firstly - sorry for the duplicate my other post looked like i was posting a how to for people. But i am wanting some help :P I want to search from / to find files and exclude my mounted ntfs drives. I have found this thread (Which I can't post the URL to until i have 5 posts) it's... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mightymouse2045
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using grep command to find the pattern of text in all directories and sub-directories.

Hi all, Using grep command, i want to find the pattern of text in all directories and sub-directories. e.g: if i want to search for a pattern named "parmeter", i used the command grep -i "param" ../* is this correct? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vinothrajan55
1 Replies

7. AIX

Exclude Directories in my tar command

Hi, im having some issues after i execute the next command: tar -cvf /varios/restore/test.tar -X /jfma/test1/excludefile /jfma | gzip -c > /varios/restore/test.tar.gz this creates the desired "test.tar.gz" file, but whe i try to open it it says "tar: 0511-164 There is a media read or write... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: blacksteel1988
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exclude directories in FIND command

Can you please help tweak the below command to exclude all directories with the name "logs" and "tmp" find . -type f \( ! -name "*.tar*" ! -name "*.bkp*" \) -exec /usr/xpg4/bin/grep -i "user_1" /dev/null {} + >result.out bash-3.2$ uname -a SunOS mymac 5.10 Generic_150400-26 sun4v sparc sun4v... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Tar Ball command to exclude directories

Hi, uname -a SunOS mymac 5.11 11.2 sun4u sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise I need to tar a folder /tmp/moht but do not want these three folders to be included in the tar file -> savejpg, bmpsave and imgsave I tried --exclude, -path, -not options but it says bad option Can you help me with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
3 Replies
uudemon(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							uudemon(4)

NAME
uudemon.admin, uudemon.cleanu, uudemon.hour, uudemon.poll - Administrative shell scripts for polling remote systems, cleaning up spool directories, reporting status to the system administrator, and routine invocations of the uuxqt and uusched daemons SYNOPSIS
These shell scripts reside in the following directory: /usr/lib/uucp DESCRIPTION
All the scripts can be run from the command line or can be run automatically by the cron daemon. To automatically run the scripts, remove the comment character (#) from the beginning of the relevant line in the /var/spool/cron/crontabs/uucp file. This script reports status to the system administrator. It issues the uustat command to find out the status of uucp jobs. It mails the results to the uucp login ID. The script may be modified to send mail to any login ID such as the uucp administrative login ID (uucpa) or root. This script cleans up the /var/spool/uucp and /var/spool/uucppublic directories by running the uucleanup command. The uucleanup com- mand is run with the following parameters: -C7, -D7, X2, -o2, -W1. This script runs the uusched and uuxqt daemons in the background. This script polls the systems listed in the /usr/lib/uucp/Poll file. The uudemon.poll script should be scheduled before the uudemon.hour script. This allows uudemon.poll to create any command files before cron runs the uudemon.hour script. FILES
Contains the uudemon.admin, uudemon.cleanu, uudemon.hour and uudemon.poll files. Contains the uucp file. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: cron(8), uucleanup(8), uusched(8), uuxqt(1) Files: /usr/lib/uucp delim off uudemon(4)