Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking Tracing a MAC address to IP address: Solaris Post 302445552 by Neo on Monday 16th of August 2010 08:27:25 AM
Old 08-16-2010
Yes, you use arp command to trace MAC to IP addresses.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Get Mac Address

:( Hi I am trying to get Mac address of of my Sun server from my C program running on the host machine. Any suggestions . (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ss_hpov
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mac address

Hi Can some one help me How do find out Mac address in Tru64 Unix Thank you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Syed_45
1 Replies

3. IP Networking

How do I mask my MAC address

I posted this thread under BSD but realized that it actually belongs here instead.... makes more sense to put it under IP. So without further delay on to my problem ... I havent been using UNIX for that long, so this question might sound quite stupid to most of you. I want to know how to mask my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PenguinDevil
2 Replies

4. IP Networking

How to Achive IP address through MAC(Ethernet) address

Hi sir, i want to make such programe which takes MAC(Ethernet) address of any host & give me its IP address....... but i'm nt getting that how i can pass the MAC address to Frame........ Please give me an idea for making such program... Thanks & regards Krishna (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnacins
3 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Tracing an e-mail address

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I thought I'd start here. Not really a Unix question, but I'm hoping the gurus here can help me in an area I know little about. Someone got one of my credit card numbers. Tried to use it to charge a bunch of stuff over the internet. The... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: denverd0n
4 Replies

6. Solaris

How to assign MAC address to N/W interface in solaris

I m having interface ce0 ce1 and its sub interfaces for that. I want to give MAC addresses for the same. How will I assign it. Please give solution for the same (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunray
4 Replies

7. Solaris

Get ip address from mac address

I have following message in my messages file on solaris 10 WARNING: e1000g3712000:3 has duplicate address 010.022.196.011 (in use by 00:50:56:85:25:ef); disabled Now is there any way i can find which server has 00:50:56:85:25:ef mac address either IP or Hostname ? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
6 Replies

8. SCO

MAC address

hi every one please help i want to change mac address in sco unix 5.0.6 how can i do this (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaydream
3 Replies

9. Solaris

How to resolve duplicated MAC address on Solaris server?

Hi folks, I found out the following: provadm@BKP_LIV_NPPGW_02:home/provadm%/usr/sbin/arp -a Net to Media Table: IPv4 Device IP Address Mask Flags Phys Addr ------ -------------------- --------------- -------- -------------------- ce5 BKP_OnM_NPPGW_02 255.255.255.255 SPLA 00:14:4f:44:e0:86... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kimurayuki
1 Replies

10. IP Networking

MAC Address - Four Interfaces with the same MAC Address

four interfaces with ifconfig all interfaces have the same mac. If is not set for unique. but it still works. what difference does it make to have all macs the same or different? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrodgers
4 Replies
arp(8)							      System Manager's Manual							    arp(8)

NAME
arp - Displays and controls Address Resolution Protocol (ARP) tables SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/arp [-u] [-n] hostname arp -a [-u] [-n] [-i] [system] arp -d hostname arp -f filename arp -g hostname arp -s [-u] hostname hardware_addr [temp] [pub] [trail] FLAGS
Displays all of the current ARP entries. Deletes the entry for hostname if the user issuing the command has superuser authority. Reads entries from filename and adds those entries to the ARP tables. Use of this flag requires superuser privilege. Entries in the file have the following format: hostname hardware_addr [temp] [pub] [trail] Fields in this format are as follows: Specifies the remote host identified by the entry. Specifies the hardware address of the remote host. The address is given as 6 hexadecimal bytes separated by colons. Specifies that this ARP table entry is temporary. When this argument is not used, the table entry is permanent. Indicates that the table entry will be published and that the current system will act as an ARP server, responding to requests for hostname even though the host address is not its own. Indicates that the trailer encapsulation may be sent to this host. Sends a gratuitous ARP packet. The hostname can be a local host name, alias, or IP address. Displays the interface with which the ARP entry is associated. Displays numeric IP addresses and hardware addresses only. When this flag is not specified, arp displays hostnames, numeric IP addresses, and hardware addresses. Creates a single ARP entry for hostname. Use of this flag requires superuser privilege. The arguments are explained in the discussion of the -f flag. Displays the MAC address in noncanonical form with address bytes reversed and separated by a colon character (:). By default, all addresses are displayed in canonical form with address bytes separated by the hyphen character (-). When used with the -s flag, this indicates that the hardware_addr is in noncanonical form. DESCRIPTION
The arp command displays or modifies the current ARP entry for the host specified by hostname. The host may be specified by name or num- ber, using Internet dot notation. With no flags, the program displays the current ARP entry for hostname. The ARP tables can be displayed by any user, but only the superuser can modify them. EXAMPLES
To display the ARP address-mapping tables for the local host, enter: arp -a alpha1.dec.com (16.181.20.2) at 08-00-2b-2c-f5-31 alpha2.dec.com (16.100.21.20) at 08-00-2b-3c-2d-fd To display the ARP address-map- ping tables for the local host and the interface, enter: arp -a -i jupiter (192.45.20.2) at 08-00-2b-1a-f8-23 (tu0) sigma (204.126.98.16) at 08-00-2b-5f-1d-33 (tu1) To add a single entry for the remote host laszlo to the ARP mapping tables temporarily, enter: arp -s laszlo 08:00:2b:0f:44:23 temp The address is considered canonical even though the bytes are separated by colons. For input, the arp command does not use the colon (:) and hyphen (-) characters to indicate whether the address is canonical or noncanonical. Note that you must have superuser authority to execute this command. To add a single entry for the remote host laszlo to the ARP mapping tables temporarily, enter: arp -u -s laszlo 10:00:d4:f0:22:c4 temp The -u flag indicates the address is noncanonical. Note that you must have superuser authority to execute this command. To add mul- tiple entries to the ARP mapping tables from the file newentries, enter: arp -f newentries Note that you must have superuser authority to execute this command. FILES
Specifies the command path. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: netstat(1), ifconfig(8) Protocols: arp(7) Specifications: RFC 826 delim off arp(8)