Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX which setting defines behaviour when paging space runs full ? Post 302445318 by zxmaus on Sunday 15th of August 2010 08:54:30 AM
Old 08-15-2010
which setting defines behaviour when paging space runs full ?

Hi,

I have a bunch of AIX systems which usually have more than enough memory to live happily. Unfortunately we have on a few of our boxes an rman runaway problem - every now and than after restoring from rman backups, the process goes crazy and eats all memory it could possibly get hold off - sometimes 100 gig and more just in a couple of minutes ... and oracle cannot find the root cause for this for months ...

Since this happens to real business critical DB boxes, my question: does anyone know which memory setting is responsible for the behaviour on an AIX 5.3 lpar when paging space runs full?

I have a few boxes that recycle themselves, others start just forking / hanging / killing randomly processes to survive - where is no point as AIX usually thinks killing the DBs is a great idea - so a system restart would be my preferred behaviour as this is anyways what I have to do when the box hangs - and the boxes that do it themselves save me a lot of paperwork / hazzle - and are usually fine for months afterwards Smilie

I know I know - solving the problem should be highest priority and we are working on it - but until than ... I want restarts Smilie

Kind regards
zxmaus

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

swap space / paging space

how do you get the paging space reduced without rebooting the machine ? the os is aix (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaronh
2 Replies

2. AIX

Paging Space per process

This is my first post, and I am new to the UNIX world. Hopefully this question won't be too lame. I know that I can use topas to see the paging space used by some processes. I would like to script something that can add up the paging space used by process owned by or associated with an... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alntht
1 Replies

3. AIX

paging space out high

Hello, we have a problem with lpar with AIX 5.3, the issue is that has high level paging space with: _sqlsrv2 and its incremented continously (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
1 Replies

4. AIX

Paging space

Hello everyone I have 4g of paging space in my rootvg disk I´m going to reduce them to 1gb in my rootvg disk and add 3gb of paging space on my san disk. My rootvg disk is mirror. My question is I can do this on line ? and I can do with the mirror ? or I need to unmirror first my... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

5. AIX

reduce used paging space

Hi I have used gzip on AIX and the used paging space has jumped from 7% to 20%. The gzip process is finished since a long time. But the used paging space is still the same. How to release this space ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bfarah
1 Replies

6. AIX

paging space

Hello everyone I have a doubt about how many paging space can have in the same disk. lsps -a Page Space Physical Volume Volume Group Size %Used Active Auto Type paging00 hdisk0 rootvg 3072MB 1 yes yes lv hd6 hdisk0 ... (4 Replies)
4 Replies

7. AIX

LV without Paging Space

Hello dear friends, We have VG filevg which consists of 2 PVs when I rechecked the VG there is no Pagingspace LV.. The VG is usually Highly loaded because much reads and writes.. Is this a must to create Paging space on the specified LV? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vit0_Corleone
2 Replies

8. AIX

Paging space

Hi, I have paging size 2048M showed from topas and 10240M showed from "lsps -a", can anyone tell what is the difference? and how to change the PAGING SIZE (showed in topas) to 8192M? Can you please tell in detail step? Thanks! Victor #topas Topas Monitor for host: egsprc01dev ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: victorcheung
10 Replies

9. AIX

Paging space is 100% full

Paging space is 100% full? what step can i take (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramraj731
3 Replies

10. AIX

No Paging Space Available

Whilst perfoming some tests on lvm's I managed to crash our test box. No real problem as it is only used by our tech team. however I would like to know why this was actually caused as the task being performed at the time was one which I though would not have any impact. Using dd I was... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tugger
5 Replies
AUTOLOG(8)						      System Manager's Manual							AUTOLOG(8)

NAME
autolog - Log out idle users SYNOPSIS
autolog [ options ] DESCRIPTION
The program reads the utmp file, entry by entry. The username for each 'user process' is compared to the entries in the configuration file (see autolog.conf(5) ). The first entry to match both the name, the group, and the tty line of the process will be used to conduct the automatic logout. CALL
/etc/init.d/autolog start or autolog to run this program in daemon-mode autolog -o to run this program as "ordinary" program. Keep in mind: Also when running as ordinary program, it will stay in memory until all its jobs are done. OPTIONS
-a (all processes) Print information on ALL utmp entries--not just user processes. -d (debug mode) This is helpful in setting up your configuration file. The program runs in foreground rather than forking and it prints out verbose messages about what it is doing. -n (nokill) Use this to prevent autolog from actually "killing" anyone. Use -d and -n together when setting up a new configuration file. ( This will not affect killing of lost processes. ) -o (ordinary) Use this to run this program as ordinary program, not as daemon. Program will end, when its job is done. In this case, some data is kept in "/var/lib/autolog/autolog.data". This is read, when the program is called again. -f config_file_name Use this to override the default: "/etc/autolog.conf" -l log_file_name Use this to override the default: "/var/log/autolog.log". Note that if this file doesn't exist, no logging will happen. Create the file (with touch) to enable logging. -t idle_time Use this to override the internal default idle time (minutes) -g grace_period Use this to override the internal default grace period (seconds) -m yes/no Use this to override the internal mailing switch. If "yes" the program will send mail to the users right after killing them. -c yes/no Use this to override the internal "pre-clear" switch. If "yes" the program will clear the terminal screen before warning the user. -w yes/no Do timeouts based on total session time--not idle time. (hard) -l yes/no If set to "yes" activities will be written to the logfile if present. AUTHOR
Kyle Bateman <kyle@actarg.com> (autolog 0.35), Carsten Juerges <juerges@cip-bau.uni-hannover.de> (autolog 0.40) This manual page was modified for Debian by Paul Telford <pxt@debian.org> Linux Administrative Utilities AUTOLOG(8)