Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ps -u myname
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers ps -u myname Post 302445233 by agama on Saturday 14th of August 2010 04:53:01 PM
Old 08-14-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ido1957
I type jobs 7435 and it says no such job.
The jobs command is built into the shell. It optionally takes as an argument the job number that the shell assigned to the command; not the PID. The job number is presented by the shell when you add an & suffix to any command:

Code:
$ nohup t16 >x 2>&1 &
[1]     16217

Depending on the shell, if you want to query the job information for job 1, the command would be:
Code:
jobs %1     # kshell
jobs 1         #bash

I think bash might also accept %1, but Im not sure. Regardless, issuing the jobs command without any parameters will show you all of the commands that the shell is running asynchronously.

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

for i in `cat myname.txt` && for y in `cat yourname.txt`

cat myname.txt John Doe I John Doe II John Doe III ----------------------------------------------------------------------- for i in `cat myname.txt` do echo This is my name: $i >> thi.is.my.name.txt done ----------------------------------------------------------------------- cat... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: danimad
1 Replies

2. OS X (Apple)

OSX: ./Users/myname OR. /usr/myname ? 1) what is the truth on UNIX ./usr/ directory.

OSX uses its own directory strecture on the BSD core, for example /Users/Bob_Alice/. but legacy Unix structure /usr/... remains. Adding confustion, some Unix books say /usr/ was never intended for specific users. and others show it being used for Bor or Alice. I am not sure where to put my third... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: michaelayres
5 Replies
PTS_QUIT(1)						       AFS Command Reference						       PTS_QUIT(1)

NAME
pts_quit - Exit from pts interactive mode SYNOPSIS
pts quit [-cell] <cell name> [-noauth] [-localauth] [-force] pts q [-c] <cell name> [-n] [-l] [-f] DESCRIPTION
The pts quit command exits from pts interactive mode. The command can be run from the command line or interactively, but on the command line it does nothing and is therefore of questionable utility. CAUTIONS
Prior to OpenAFS 1.4.5 and OpenAFS 1.5.23, the pts quit command was only available on Unix or Linux and when OpenAFS was compiled with the supergroups option (disabled by default). As of OpenAFS 1.4.5 and 1.5.23, it is always available. OPTIONS
Although they have no effect, pts quit takes the following standard pts options: -cell <cell name> Names the cell in which to run the command. For more details, see pts(1). -force Enables the command to continue executing as far as possible when errors or other problems occur, rather than halting execution at the first error. -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. -localauth Constructs a server ticket using a key from the local /etc/openafs/server/KeyFile file. Do not combine this flag with the -cell or -noauth options. For more details, see pts(1). -noauth Assigns the unprivileged identity anonymous to the issuer. For more details, see pts(1). OUTPUT
This command produces no output. EXAMPLES
Here is an example of a pts interactive session: % pts interactive pts> quit % SEE ALSO
pts(1), pts_interactive(1) COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2007 Jason Edgecombe <jason@rampaginggeek.com> This documentation is covered by the BSD License as written in the doc/LICENSE file. This man page was written by Jason Edgecombe for OpenAFS. OpenAFS 2014-04-08 PTS_QUIT(1)