Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: C and Perl in unix
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? C and Perl in unix Post 302445202 by Corona688 on Saturday 14th of August 2010 11:45:28 AM
Old 08-14-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deei
Is it like if I dont know C, I cant work on C++ ?
There's a large amount of overlap between C and C++; learning C++ without learning any C would be very tricky. Strangely, and often disastrously, this is the way it is frequently taught anyway. Learn C first, and you'll have an easier time learning and understanding the C++ extensions.

It's hard to say that only legacy applications use C. The entire Linux kernel, the gcc compiler and gnu linker and gdb debugger, the Xorg-X11 window manager, the Apache webserver, the mplayer media player, the GTK windowing toolkit, the Ghostscript renderer, the Samba network file daemon, the OpenVPN network tunneling daemon, Perl + BASH + KSH + PHP + Python + SWIG + TCL + TK are written in C, not C++. MySQL, some big desktop application suites, the KDE window manager, and a few video codecs are C++.

Of course, these are open-source applications where nobody was forced to use any particular language, platform, API, or programming methodology. A C++ API forces you to use C++, a C API will work in either, which is why it's preferable to write libraries in C no matter which you intend to use them with.

Last edited by Corona688; 08-14-2010 at 01:24 PM..
These 3 Users Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix command in Perl

Hi, I have a perl script. It needs to open a file but the file that it will open will depend on the result of a unix command "tail -1". How can I do that in perl, to open a file which is the results from a unix command? Thanks in advance! Hope you can help me. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayhanne
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

[PERL] Running unix commands within Perl Scripts

I understand that in order to run basic unix commands I would normally type at the prompt, I would have to use the following format system(ls -l); or exec(ls -l); But when I actually try to use the command, the script fails to compile and keeps telling me there is an error with this line. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: userix
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ftp from windows to unix using a perl script on unix machine

i need to ftp a file from windows to a unix machine by executing a sript(perl/shell/php) from that unix machine.i can also use HTML and javascript to build forms. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raksha.s
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute in unix not in PERL

Hi All, This below command is working fine with unix box. However i could not able to run it in PERL. kidly suggest??? perl -ne '{push @x, $_}END{pop(@x); print @x}' create2.txt (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: adaleru
15 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Spreadsheet on Perl in UNIX

Very new to UNIX, so still getting used to all this. I made a Perl script where I want to create a spreadsheet file when extracting "data" from a text file. Now, this works perfectly fine on my Windows OS since I'm using the Win32 libraries with Microsoft Excel, but when I want to try it out on... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kooshi
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl/unix: script in command line works but not in perl

so in unix this command works works and shows me a list of directories find . -name \*.xls -exec dirname {} \; | sort -u | > list.txt but when i try running a perl script to run this command my $query = 'find . -name \*.xls -exec dirname {} \; | sort -u | > list.txt';... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kpddong
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning value from unix to perl

Hi All I got stuck in an issue, and i want help from you guys. The issue is-: I have two scripts one is call.sh(written in Unix) and another one is called.pl(written in Perl). What i do is i invoke the script call.sh and inside of call.sh the Perl script is called called.pl. There is some... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: parthmittal2007
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix perl scripting

Hi , Could someone please help me for following script: perl -pi -e 's/\"//g' ${FILELIKE}*.csv perl -pi -e '$_ ="" if ($.==1);' ${FILELIKE}*.csv What these 2 commands are doing? Thanks, Preetpal How to use code tags (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: preetpalkapoor
4 Replies

9. Programming

Unix grep in perl script

Hello, Fairly simple really I have an xml file and I want to check to see if it contains a pattern. The pattern is "../" On the command line I can type: grep "\.\./" myFile.xml and I get desired result. To do the same thing in a perl script I thought it was as simple as putting the ``... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jaymoney
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert UNIX to perl

Hi, Can someone convert the code into perl ? x=(a b c) y=(d e) times=$((${#x} * ${#y})) ((xi=yi=0)) for((i=1;i<=times;i++,xi++,yi++)) do if((xi>${#x}-1));then xi=0;fi if((yi>${#y}-1));then yi=0;fi print ${x},${y} done (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: giri_luck
4 Replies
UPDATE-JAVA-ALTERNATIVES(8)				      System Manager's Manual				       UPDATE-JAVA-ALTERNATIVES(8)

NAME
update-java-alternatives - update alternatives for jre/sdk installations SYNOPSIS
update-java-alternatives [--jre] [--plugin] [-t|--test|-v|--verbose] -l|--list [<jname>] -s|--set <jname> -a|--auto -h|-?|--help DESCRIPTION
update-java-alternatives updates all alternatives belonging to one runtime or development kit for the Java language. A package does pro- vide these information of it's alternatives in /usr/lib/jvm/.<jname>.jinfo. OPTIONS
-l|--list [<jname>] List all installed packages (or just <jname>) providing information to set a bunch of java alternatives. Verbose output shows each alternative provided by the packages. -a|--auto Switch all alternatives of registered jre/sdk installations to automatic mode. -s|--set <jname> Set all alternatives of the registered jre/sdk installation to the program path provided by the <jname> installation. --jre Limit the actions to alternatives belong to a runtime environment, not a development kit. --jre-headless Limit the actions to alternatives belong to the headless part of a runtime environment. --plugin Limit the actions to alternatives providing browser plugins. -h|--help Display a help message. -t|--test Don't actually do anything, just say what would be done. The implementation status of this option is the same as for update-alter- natives (not implemented). -v|--verbose Verbose output. FILES
/usr/lib/jvm/.*.jinfo A text file describing a jre/sdk installation. Consists of some variables of the form <var>=<value> and a list of alternatives of the form jre|jdk <name> <path>. AUTHOR
update-java-alternatives and this manual page was written by Matthias Klose <doko@ubuntu.com>. May 2006 UPDATE-JAVA-ALTERNATIVES(8)