Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: awk replacement problem
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk replacement problem Post 302445194 by Scott on Saturday 14th of August 2010 11:34:14 AM
Old 08-14-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzstar
doesn't seem to work .

the second option through errors

any suggestion plz
That's really helpful information. My crystal ball is on the blink, why don't you say what doesn't work?

And in case you are using Solaris, use /usr/xpg4/bin/awk, or nawk.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk variable replacement

I have a function awkvarrep() { awk -F'|' '$1~/$1/{printf "%-10s %-30s %-15s %-30s %-15s\n", $2,$3,$4,$5,$6}' testfile } I'm calling it by this VARREP=XYZ awkvarrep $VARREP since i'm passing $VARREP to the awkvarrep() function I want to use this with $1 but it dosen't seem to be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: iAm4Free
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK String replacement

I have an xml file with following tags <NewTag>value123</xyz> <NewTag>value321</abcd> I have to replace the values in between the tags with some value ( VAL1/VAL2) but the thing the ending tag can be any thing, for this i need a awk command currently i am using this but it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: subin_bala
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl as awk replacement in a script.

Hey all, Im trying to write a script on windows, which Im not too familiar with. Im generally a bash scripting guy but am using perl for this case. My question is... I have this exact output: 2 Dir(s) 6,380,429,312 bytes free and I just need to get the number out... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: trey85stang
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk pattern replacement

Hi I'm a newbie in unix and I'm having trouble in creating a script. I want to search for a pattern '_good' and insert new lines that contains '_bad', '_med', '_fail' while also ensure that the line contains _good is removed here some of the data UPDATE SCHOOL SET GRADE =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sexyTrojan
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk replacement

Hi all, I need help in replacing awk with sed for the below. 1 ) cat list | awk -F" |," '/MATH/ {sub(/]*/,"",$3); print $3}' Eg: file : list Sno Subno Name 1 SUB1 ENG 2 SUB2 MATH 2) Eg:result Total No of Students: 2 Sno ID Sub ------------------ 1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: priyam
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk replacement problem

Hello everyone, I have a problem with awk replacement... I need to replace "|\n" for "\n" I tried thisawk '{ sub(/\|\\n/, "\\n"); print }' but it seems like it doesn't work properly. Can anyone help with that? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1tempus1
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk's gsub variable in replacement

I been trying to figure out how to use element of array as a replacement pattern. This works as I expected: $ echo "one two three" | awk '{ gsub(/wo/,"_BEG_&_END_",$2); print }' one t_BEG_wo_END_ three $ echo "one two three" | awk '{ tmp="foo"; gsub(/wo/,"_BEG_" tmp "_END_",$2);... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirni
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Incomplete replacement/substitution awk

Hi! (I'm just a newbie in awk & bash scripts) I have a script which replaces one column from an input file with a specified one from the same file. The input and the desired output files are shown below. ~ cat input.file random text Fe 1.33 23.23 3.33 C 21.03 23.23 3.33 Cu 0.00 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: radudownload
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text replacement with awk or sed?

Hi guys, I worked for almost a half-day for the replacement of some text automatically with script. But no success. The problem is I have hundred of files, which need to be replaced with some new text. It's a painful work to work manually and it's so easy to do it wrong. For example, I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: liuzhencc
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

sed or awk Replacement/Addition

Hi, I have a big text file with similar data as below and need the text as in output using awk or sed. any help is greatly appreciated. Input: City=Chicago Elden street >>> reservedBy = business 1 >>> reservedBy = business 2 >>> reservedBy = business 3 City=Dallas Elm street >>>... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tech_frk
5 Replies
ucblinks(1B)                                         SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands                                         ucblinks(1B)

NAME
ucblinks - adds /dev entries to give SunOS 4.x compatible names to SunOS 5.x devices SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/ucblinks [-e rulebase] [-r rootdir] DESCRIPTION
ucblinks creates symbolic links under the /dev directory for devices whose SunOS 5.x names differ from their SunOS 4.x names. Where possi- ble, these symbolic links point to the device's SunOS 5.x name rather than to the actual /devices entry. ucblinks does not remove unneeded compatibility links; these must be removed by hand. ucblinks should be called each time the system is reconfiguration-booted, after any new SunOS 5.x links that are needed have been created, since the reconfiguration may have resulted in more compatibility names being needed. In releases prior to SunOS 5.4, ucblinks used a nawk rule-base to construct the SunOS 4.x compatible names. ucblinks no longer uses nawk for the default operation, although nawk rule-bases can still be specifed with the -e option. The nawk rule-base equivalent to the SunOS 5.4 default operation can be found in /usr/ucblib/ucblinks.awk. OPTIONS
-e rulebase Specify rulebase as the file containing nawk(1) pattern-action statements. -r rootdir Specify rootdir as the directory under which dev and devices will be found, rather than the standard root directory /. FILES
/usr/ucblib/ucblinks.awk sample rule-base for compatibility links ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
devlinks(1M), disks(1M), ports(1M), tapes(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 13 Apr 1994 ucblinks(1B)