Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Linux dhcp client boot process with packets traffic Post 302444806 by sudhirav on Thursday 12th of August 2010 11:20:43 PM
Old 08-13-2010
Hi,

Thanks for the help, appreciate it.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

DHCP client & ipchains headache

Hi all, I upgraded my SUSE 6.1 to SUSE 7.1 and at once the following things won't work anymore: 1) My DHCP client is not able anymore to retrieve my IP address from the @home server. It times out all the time. If I use a fixed IP I can get on the net, so there is no physical problem. 2) I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Micky
3 Replies

2. IP Networking

Howto configure AIX DHCP Client ?

I use DHCP on my AIX box at home . I want to connect to my Cable ISP as a DHCP Client . the thing I did was this : smit Communications Applications and Services TCP/IP Use DHCP for TCPIP Configuration and Startup "Select the interface you want to use" en0 "Enter a hostname" OK after... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zumbi
3 Replies

3. IP Networking

PUMP DHCP Client

I'm currently using red hat 6.1 and PUMP DHCP Client, I have a Cable Modem from which I aquire my leases. I've configured the lcient corrctly to the best of my knowledge and if get assigned an IP address on the subnet for my local Ubr, however when I go to use any HTTP based program all my requests... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: r00t.$h3ll
1 Replies

4. SCO

dhcp client

I have openserver 5.0.7 running on a machine and would like to know how to configure a dhcp client for it and make it run at startup. Thank you. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: izzzy
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

DHCP client question

hi all, In dhcp client , how to specify no of retiral attempts for getting IP ? man dhclient.conf - has rery timeout but i m looking for attempts Also option nwip.autoretries uint8; - i guess this is for dhcpd server I basically want to expire after the first attempt. Any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramchan10
1 Replies

6. AIX

How to set dhcp client by using commands

Hi, I have used "smit tcpip" to setup dhcp client but it does not work. Don't know why. Now I want to try using commands to do the job. I have studied commands chdev and mktcpip but did not find howto. Please help. Thank you! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aixlover
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux DHCP Release on boot

Hi All- I have an assigned static IP address on my Linux box and was wondering if there is a way to change that to a DHCP without actually logging in? Possibly a hot key I can press prioir to login? I am running Centos Thanks! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvpike
0 Replies

8. IP Networking

DHCP client's IP release query

Hi All, I have two doubts here in DHCP Solaris environment.. could anyone please clarify me? 1. If a new client comes up and it needs an IP to be assigned by a DHCP server, how can it communicate with the DHCP server in the first case without any IP? The SUN doc says something about "BOOTP"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish51392111
4 Replies

9. Red Hat

Linux Boot Process

Explain Linux Boot Process??? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tejaschache
1 Replies
pydhcp(8)							     PYDHCPLIB								 pydhcp(8)

NAME
pydhcp - a dhcp command line tool USAGE
pydhcp --input <TYPE;OPTIONS;NAME> --output <TYPE;OPTIONS;NAME> DESCRIPTION
pydhcp is a command line tool to read or write dhcp packet on network, and translate from raw data to human readable informations (and vice-et-versa). pydhcp is a part of the pydhcplib python library. Input and Output field description pydhcp takes an input and an output argument. Input and output are described in the same way. For example : pydhcp --input 'device;binary|up;eth0:68' --output 'file;readable;myfile.txt' -c 1 <TYPE> field There is 5 types for the <TYPE> field. Only one type at once can be used : device, address, file, stdin and stdout. device tells pydhcp to write or listen directly on the network interface and port. address is to write or listen on a specific Internet Address and port (like 192.168.1.1:67 ). file read or write data from or to a file. stdin read data from stdin, stdout write data on stdout. <OPTIONS> field You can use multiple options in the option field by separate them with a pipe |. There is 4 options for this field : readable, binary, up and noup. readable id to read or write data in a human readable language : a packet definition language. This language is described later. Binary form stand for reading or writing packets in the same binary form they are on the network : an UDP packet. readable and binary are mutually exclusive. Option up tells pydhcp to set the network interface up if not. noup tells not to set up the interface. up and noup are only useful in combination with the device type. Default is noup. <NAME> field Describe the name of the device (eth0:67,wlan0:client) , the address (192.168.1.1), or the filename (foo.txt). You can use a port number or the keywords client and server for standard dhcp port. Other command line options of pydhcp Option -c : Number of packet to read or write. 0 for unlimited number of packet. Default is 0. Known limitations - Only one dhcp packet per file, then count is set to 1 for file I/O - No readable transfert on network (address or device). Binary only. -c|--count Number of packets to process. EXAMPLES
Read a client packet on any address and write it on a human readable file : pydhcp -i "address;binary;0.0.0.0:67" -o "file;readable;myfile.bin" Read a binary dhcp packet from a file and print it on stdout in a human readable form : pydhcp -i "file;binary;myfile.bin" -o "stdout;readable;" SEE ALSO
pydhcplib BUGS
Many... AUTHOR
Mathieu Ignacio (mignacio[AT]april.org) pydhcp(8)