Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help with cronjob scheduling
Operating Systems Linux Help with cronjob scheduling Post 302444588 by sudhirav on Thursday 12th of August 2010 07:39:30 AM
Old 08-12-2010
Help with cronjob scheduling

Hi Everybody,

How to schedule a job using cron that shouldn't run between working hrs 9am-5pm, while run in non working hrs every hour, every day of the month, month & week.

I tried the following way, not sure I can use logical not operator(!). Please correct me if wrong or suggest other ways which might be better.

Code:
crontab -e
0 !9-17 * * * /path/to/script/file

I guess other way is
Code:
0 17-8 * * * /path/to/script/file

Thank you in advance

Last edited by pludi; 08-12-2010 at 08:43 AM.. Reason: code tags, please...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

regarding the scheduling of the process

Hello, I would like to schedule a command at a specific time on my system.I know that theres a file named at.alow and at.deny in my system. I can find the at.deny file but not an at.allow file . Is there anyway out or i have to go and talk to the system administrator itself , or any other way of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prashantuc
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

scheduling

i have tried to schedule my process at a certain time using the at command : the error says bad time specification can somebody help me i used at 2300 job thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashantuc
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

script scheduling

Hi, I have a ksh scrip (x) that scans a directory and does actions when a file arrives in this directory. My question is what is the best way to schedule x? 1. Use cron tab and create a task running forever 2. Creat another ksh script (y) that runs (x) in a non-terminating loop Which... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GNMIKE
2 Replies

4. HP-UX

cron scheduling?

Hi all, i want a job to run first monday of every of month. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: megh
1 Replies

5. Programming

Time scheduling

Hello !!! i am trying to create a command scheduler (written in C). Basically i would like to do what the "at" command does , but without using "at" or "cron". I have tried using getitimer but i do not know how can i shcedule multiple commands. Any ideas ??? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcnikolas
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to cancel a cronjob if the cronjob still running

hi everyone I'm newbie in this forum hope I can get some help here :) I have a command in crontab that executed every 1 minute sometime this command need more than 1 minute to finish the problem is, the crontab execute this command although it's not finish processing yet and causing the system... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: 2j4h
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Crontab scheduling

Hi all, My OS is Solaris 10. I want to schedule a job which i need to run between morining 6 to eve 6 once for every 2 hours. This is what i did. 0 6-18 * * 1-5 /monitor.sh It runs for every hour how to make it for every two hours ...... Thanks, Firestar. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: firestar
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scheduling scheduling !!!

Hi, i have 10 sh scripts. All are running in parallel using cron tab and each script gives "success" flag files once the execution is completed. and, now i have 11th script which should look for "success" flag from those 10 sh scripts. once all the 10 flag files found, 11 th script has to do... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nago123
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script scheduling in cronjob

Hi, I have developed a file deletion script and scheduled it in cronjob to run daily at 5:00 AM. But the script is not running automatically any day. However when I run the script manually at any time, it runs successfully. This is how the cron looks like : 0 5 * * *... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhilmil
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help regarding cronjob scheduling

Hello All, I have three requirements to schedule three shell scripts in crontab. Could you please help me in this: 1) To schedule a shell script every 5mins interval every day between 10PM to 10:30PM 2) To schedule a shell script every 10min interval every day between 9AM to 10AM. 3) To... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhi_123
6 Replies
queuedefs(4)							   File Formats 						      queuedefs(4)

NAME
queuedefs - queue description file for at, batch, and cron SYNOPSIS
/etc/cron.d/queuedefs DESCRIPTION
The queuedefs file describes the characteristics of the queues managed by cron(1M). Each non-comment line in this file describes one queue. The format of the lines are as follows: q.[njobj][nicen][nwaitw] The fields in this line are: q The name of the queue. a is the default queue for jobs started by at(1); b is the default queue for jobs started by batch (see at(1)); c is the default queue for jobs run from a crontab(1) file. njob The maximum number of jobs that can be run simultaneously in that queue; if more than njob jobs are ready to run, only the first njob jobs will be run, and the others will be run as jobs that are currently running terminate. The default value is 100. nice The nice(1) value to give to all jobs in that queue that are not run with a user ID of super-user. The default value is 2. nwait The number of seconds to wait before rescheduling a job that was deferred because more than njob jobs were running in that job's queue, or because the system-wide limit of jobs executing has been reached. The default value is 60. Lines beginning with # are comments, and are ignored. EXAMPLES
Example 1: A sample file. # # a.4j1n b.2j2n90w This file specifies that the a queue, for at jobs, can have up to 4 jobs running simultaneously; those jobs will be run with a nice value of 1. As no nwait value was given, if a job cannot be run because too many other jobs are running cron will wait 60 seconds before trying again to run it. The b queue, for batch(1) jobs, can have up to 2 jobs running simultaneously; those jobs will be run with a nice(1) value of 2. If a job cannot be run because too many other jobs are running, cron(1M) will wait 90 seconds before trying again to run it. All other queues can have up to 100 jobs running simultaneously; they will be run with a nice value of 2, and if a job cannot be run because too many other jobs are running cron will wait 60 seconds before trying again to run it. FILES
/etc/cron.d/queuedefs queue description file for at, batch, and cron. SEE ALSO
at(1), crontab(1), nice(1), cron(1M) SunOS 5.10 1 Mar 1994 queuedefs(4)