Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: HPUX 11.31 vgextend fail
Operating Systems HP-UX HPUX 11.31 vgextend fail Post 302444557 by lamoul on Thursday 12th of August 2010 06:30:39 AM
Old 08-12-2010
HPUX 11.31 vgextend fail

Hi,

when i try to add new disk, it's an XP disk from SAN (lun) to the volume group, it fails because "TOO MANY LINKS"

Code:
:/etc/cmcluster/icastst$ vgextend /dev/vgicastst /dev/disk/disk684
Current path "/dev/dsk/c51t8d3" is an alternate link, skip.
Current path "/dev/dsk/c51t8d4" is an alternate link, skip.
Current path "/dev/dsk/c51t8d2" is an alternate link, skip.
Current path "/dev/dsk/c51t8d1" is an alternate link, skip.
Current path "/dev/dsk/c51t8d0" is an alternate link, skip.
vgextend: Couldn't install the physical volume "/dev/disk/disk684".

Vgdisplay shows
Code:
Max PV 16
Cur PV 16
Act PV 16

Shall we increase the max PV?

if yes, how and please provide step by step.

Thank you.

Last edited by pludi; 08-12-2010 at 07:45 AM.. Reason: code tags, please...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mail fail

I am using the shell script file to send mail by "mailx". I do this by cron job, there is no error found. But it is fail, any suggest to me? How can I resend it automatically? Is there any resend logic by using the mailx? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: adela
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Script to Use CPUs on a HPUX server to simulate Workload Manager on HPUX.

I am running HPUX and using WLM (workload manager). I want to write a script to fork CPUs to basically take CPUs from other servers to show that the communication is working and CPU licensing is working. Basically, I want to build a script that will use up CPU on a server. Any ideas? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cpolikowsky
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename fail

I've a lot of file with an hyphen on filename, so I use rename for remove him ad substitute with an underscore but it fails $ rename 's/\-/\_/' * Unknown option: _ Unknown option: i Unknown option: r Unknown option: e Unknown option: e Unknown option: _ Unknown option: g Unknown... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: cv313x
12 Replies

4. HP-UX

Undo vgextend

Hi I had extended one of the FS yesterday as rsync was failing and the temp solution was to extend it to 4GB while we worked on cron script. spthrv01:/root# bdf /p05 Filesystem kbytes used avail %used Mounted on /dev/vg232/lvol1 130940928 82208608 48385792 63% /p05 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedkandi
5 Replies

5. HP-UX

hpux 11.31 vgimport fail

i'm trying to vgimport the map file from vgexport -p -v -s -m to fail over node (adoptive node in service guard). root@noe04:/etc/cmcluster/icasprd$ vgimport -s -m gicasprd.110810.map /dev/vgicasprd vgimport: Volume group "/dev/vgicasprd" already exists in the "/etc/lvmtab" file. the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamoul
2 Replies

6. HP-UX

pwage-hpux-T for Trusted HPUX servers

I'm sharing this in case anybody needs it. Modified from the original solaris pwage script. This modified hpux script will check /etc/password file on hpux trusted systems search /tcb and grep the required u_succhg field. Calculate days to expiry and notify users via email. original solaris... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcguy
2 Replies

7. AIX

en0 fail to up.

This is a LPAR that i created earlier. I want to set an IP address to en0 but it failed. Command: failed stdout: yes stderr: no Before command completion, additional instructions may appear below. en0 devdbm01 inet0 changed Method error (/usr/lib/methods/chgif): ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: wingcross
8 Replies

8. HP-UX

fail to boot HPUX

HPUX running in D-Class (L1000), pretty old HPUX version - hpux 11.00 Attempt 1 -- To boot from normal (primary) Unable to boot - system complains failure SYSTEM ALERT System Name : uninitialized DATE : 10/22/2011 Time : 03/41:12 Alert Level 15 = Fatal hardware or configuration... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckwan
12 Replies

9. Linux

Telnet fail

Hi, I try to telnet to server: # telnet xx.xxx.1.72 1521 Trying xx.xxx.1.72... telnet: connect to address xx.xxx.1.72: Connection refused telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused iptables is off: # service iptables status Firewall is stopped. # And I have edit... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mehrdad68
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Untar fail

Hi Team, I have a file named as follows: aaa.tar.gz Now I need to verify if the untar fails, then the script has to send a mail. In order to check this condition, I need a tar.gz file which is unable to untar it. Can anyone help me to create a file which I will be able to unzip successfully... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmanivan82
2 Replies
volfs(7FS)							   File Systems 							volfs(7FS)

NAME
volfs - Volume Management file system DESCRIPTION
volfs is the Volume Management file system rooted at root_dir. The default location for root-dir is /vol, but this can be overridden using the -d option of vold (see vold(1M)). This file system is maintained by the Volume Management daemon, vold, and will be considered to be /vol for this description. Media can be accessed in a logical manner (no association with a particular piece of hardware), or a physical manner (associated with a particular piece of hardware). Logical names for media are referred to through /vol/dsk and /vol/rdsk. /vol/dsk provides block access to random access devices. /vol/rdsk provides character access to random access devices. The /vol/rdsk and /vol/dsk directories are mirrors of one another. Any change to one is reflected in the other immediately. The dev_t for a volume will be the same for both the block and character device. The default permissions for /vol are mode=0555, owner=root, group=sys. The default permissions for /vol/dsk and /vol/rdsk are mode=01777, owner=root, group=sys. Physical references to media are obtained through /vol/dev. This hierarchy reflects the structure of the /dev name space. The default per- missions for all directories in the /vol/dev hierarchy are mode=0555, owner=root, group=sys. mkdir(2), rmdir(2), unlink(2) (rm), symlink(2) (ln -s), link(2) (ln), and rename(2) (mv) are supported, subject to normal file and direc- tory permissions. The following system calls are not supported in the /vol filesystem: creat(2), only when creating a file, and mknod(2). If the media does not contain file systems that can be automatically mounted by rmmount(1M), users can gain access to the media through the following /vol locations: +-----------------------------------+------------------------------------+ | Location | State of Media | +-----------------------------------+------------------------------------+ |/vol/dev/diskette0/unnamed_floppy | formatted unnamed floppy-block | | | device access | +-----------------------------------+------------------------------------+ |/vol/dev/rdiskette0/unnamed_floppy | formatted unnamed floppy-raw | | | device access | +-----------------------------------+------------------------------------+ |/vol/dev/diskette0/unlabeled | unlabeled floppy-block device | | | access | +-----------------------------------+------------------------------------+ |/vol/dev/rdiskette0/unlabeled | unlabeled floppy-raw device access | +-----------------------------------+------------------------------------+ |/vol/dev/dsk/c0t6/unnamed_cdrom | CD-ROM-block device access | +-----------------------------------+------------------------------------+ |/vol/dev/rdsk/c0t6/unnamed_cdrom | CD-ROM-raw device access | +-----------------------------------+------------------------------------+ For more information on the location of CD-ROM and floppy media, see System Administration Guide: Basic Administration or rmmount(1M). Partitions Some media support the concept of a partition. If the label identifies partitions on the media, the name of the media becomes a directory with partitions under it. Only valid partitions are represented. Partitions cannot be moved out of a directory. For example, if disk volume 'foo' has three valid partitions, 0, 2, and 5, then: /vol/dsk/foo/s0 /vol/dsk/foo/s2 /vol/dsk/foo/s5 for block access and /vol/rdsk/foo/s0 /vol/rdsk/foo/s2 /vol/rdsk/foo/s5 for character access. If a volume is relabeled to reflect different partitions, the name space changes to reflect the new partition layout. A format program can check to see if there are others with the volume open and not allow the format to occur if it is. Volume Management, however, does not explicitly prevent the rewriting of a label while others have the volume open. If a partition of a volume is open, and the volume is relabeled to remove that partition, it will appear exactly as if the volume were missing. A notify event will be generated and the user may cancel the operation with volcancel(1), if desired. SEE ALSO
volcancel(1), volcheck(1), volmissing(1) rmmount(1M), vold(1M), rmmount.conf(4), vold.conf(4) System Administration Guide: Basic Administration SunOS 5.10 8 Feb 1995 volfs(7FS)