Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: stat command with ls -l
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting stat command with ls -l Post 302444541 by Franklin52 on Thursday 12th of August 2010 05:42:58 AM
Old 08-12-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrutinizer
That would work for basic access rights but not for the s,S,t an T characters that denote sticky bits and set[ug]ids...
Hi Scrutinizer,

You're right, but I'll leave this as an exercise for the OP Smilie

Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

stat command

how can ý use "stat command"????.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: emreatlier
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Equivalent command to 'stat'

Can anyone tell me which is the equivalent command to 'stats' in ksh shell which discribes the file system? Thanks in advance Regards, Im_new (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: im_new
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

hp-unix stat command to get last change date of file

I'm on hp-unix. I would like a variable to hold the last change date of a file. I looked at the man pages for stat, but I don't see any examples and can't get the syntax right. Can anyone help me? Thank you. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sboxtops
2 Replies

4. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Does PowerSHell have *stat command analogs?

I.e. like vmstat, cpustat, iostat, fsstat, kstat ..etc? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Xcislav
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need file timestamp without stat command

Hi all, I want to check whether a file is not updated in last 15 minutes, for this i need to get timestamp of file, (yyyy:mm:dd:hh:mi:ss). I dont have access to STAT command :(. Please suggest a program or command to do this . Thanks, Saravana (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sam_1210
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

AIX and HP-UX equivalent of Linux stat command

To list file permission/access right in octal format, linux has a command 'stat'. For example, we can use the followin - stat -c %a `find . -type f Is there any equivalent command in AIX and HP-UX to give the same result as linux 'stat' command? Please advice. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: atanubanerji
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Stat command

i know this command does not exist in solaris. however, i read somewhere on this forum that basically everything the stat command provides in other oses can be obtained in solaris using the ls command. i've searched the forum for a while now and i cant find the thread. does anyone know about... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stat value changes

Die to what all operations, the "Modify" and "Change" values of stat output changes for a file. I found, during editing a file, Change and Modify alters. When chmod'ing Change alters, while Modify doesnot alters. Is there more situations where these changes? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anil510
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with stat command

Hi Experts, I am here with very simple request: #!bin/bash a=`stat -c %y log1.csv` echo $a and this stat command returning value as 2013-08-11 05:42:10.000000000 -0400: But I want to see in mm/dd/yyyy format? any help is highly appreciated thank you ---------- Post... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: parpaa
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question on stat command

hello, I wanted to know which is the output of the stat command with a file, for example if I write on the terminal: stat ./unix.pdf i get the output: 754974726 6915670 -rwxrwxrwx 1 mbruno106 staff 0 90501 "Aug 13 13:26:02 2013" "Aug 13 13:26:02 2013" "Aug 13 13:26:02 2013" "Aug 13... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Marina2013
1 Replies
GETFACL(1)						       Access Control Lists							GETFACL(1)

NAME
getfacl - get file access control lists SYNOPSIS
getfacl [-aceEsRLPtpndvh] file ... getfacl [-aceEsRLPtpndvh] - DESCRIPTION
For each file, getfacl displays the file name, owner, the group, and the Access Control List (ACL). If a directory has a default ACL, get- facl also displays the default ACL. Non-directories cannot have default ACLs. If getfacl is used on a file system that does not support ACLs, getfacl displays the access permissions defined by the traditional file mode permission bits. The output format of getfacl is as follows: 1: # file: somedir/ 2: # owner: lisa 3: # group: staff 4: # flags: -s- 5: user::rwx 6: user:joe:rwx #effective:r-x 7: group::rwx #effective:r-x 8: group:cool:r-x 9: mask::r-x 10: other::r-x 11: default:user::rwx 12: default:user:joe:rwx #effective:r-x 13: default:group::r-x 14: default:mask::r-x 15: default:other::--- Lines 1--3 indicate the file name, owner, and owning group. Line 4 indicates the setuid (s), setgid (s), and sticky (t) bits: either the letter representing the bit, or else a dash (-). This line is included if any of those bits is set and left out otherwise, so it will not be shown for most files. (See CONFORMANCE TO POSIX 1003.1e DRAFT STANDARD 17 below.) Lines 5, 7 and 10 correspond to the user, group and other fields of the file mode permission bits. These three are called the base ACL entries. Lines 6 and 8 are named user and named group entries. Line 9 is the effective rights mask. This entry limits the effective rights granted to all groups and to named users. (The file owner and others permissions are not affected by the effective rights mask; all other entries are.) Lines 11--15 display the default ACL associated with this directory. Directories may have a default ACL. Regular files never have a default ACL. The default behavior for getfacl is to display both the ACL and the default ACL, and to include an effective rights comment for lines where the rights of the entry differ from the effective rights. If output is to a terminal, the effective rights comment is aligned to column 40. Otherwise, a single tab character separates the ACL entry and the effective rights comment. The ACL listings of multiple files are separated by blank lines. The output of getfacl can also be used as input to setfacl. PERMISSIONS Process with search access to a file (i.e., processes with read access to the containing directory of a file) are also granted read access to the file's ACLs. This is analogous to the permissions required for accessing the file mode. OPTIONS
-a, --access Display the file access control list. -d, --default Display the default access control list. -c, --omit-header Do not display the comment header (the first three lines of each file's output). -e, --all-effective Print all effective rights comments, even if identical to the rights defined by the ACL entry. -E, --no-effective Do not print effective rights comments. -s, --skip-base Skip files that only have the base ACL entries (owner, group, others). -R, --recursive List the ACLs of all files and directories recursively. -L, --logical Logical walk, follow symbolic links to directories. The default behavior is to follow symbolic link arguments, and skip symbolic links encountered in subdirectories. Only effective in combination with -R. -P, --physical Physical walk, do not follow symbolic links to directories. This also skips symbolic link arguments. Only effective in combination with -R. -t, --tabular Use an alternative tabular output format. The ACL and the default ACL are displayed side by side. Permissions that are ineffective due to the ACL mask entry are displayed capitalized. The entry tag names for the ACL_USER_OBJ and ACL_GROUP_OBJ entries are also displayed in capital letters, which helps in spotting those entries. -p, --absolute-names Do not strip leading slash characters (`/'). The default behavior is to strip leading slash characters. -n, --numeric List numeric user and group IDs -v, --version Print the version of getfacl and exit. -h, --help Print help explaining the command line options. -- End of command line options. All remaining parameters are interpreted as file names, even if they start with a dash character. - If the file name parameter is a single dash character, getfacl reads a list of files from standard input. CONFORMANCE TO POSIX 1003.1e DRAFT STANDARD 17 If the environment variable POSIXLY_CORRECT is defined, the default behavior of getfacl changes in the following ways: Unless otherwise specified, only the ACL is printed. The default ACL is only printed if the -d option is given. If no command line parameter is given, get- facl behaves as if it was invoked as ``getfacl -''. No flags comments indicating the setuid, setgit, and sticky bits are generated. AUTHOR
Andreas Gruenbacher, <a.gruenbacher@bestbits.at>. Please send your bug reports and comments to the above address. SEE ALSO
setfacl(1), acl(5) May 2000 ACL File Utilities GETFACL(1)