Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Calculation in Multiple files using awk Post 302444434 by johnwilliams.sp on Thursday 12th of August 2010 02:05:49 AM
Old 08-12-2010
Hi,

Now is it possible to check whether array index has a value in it or empty.

In the code given below,

Code:
awk -F , '{a[$2 FS $3 FS $4]+=$1}END{for (i in a) print a[i],i}' sample*.csv

I want to check whether index $2 FS $3 FS $4 is already having value or present, before summing another value to it.

Is this possible in awk?

---------- Post updated at 11:35 AM ---------- Previous update was at 09:09 AM ----------

Hi,

I have got a option to test for the index in nawk like,

Code:
if ($2","$3","$4 in a)

which checks for the existence of index in array.

Do we have something similar in awk?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting input files into multiple files through AWK command

Hi, I needs to split *.txt files from single directory depends on the some mutltiple input values. i have wrote the code like below for file in *.txt do grep -i -h "value1|value2" $file > $file; done. My requirment is more input values needs to be given in grep; let us say 50... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arund_01
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple search string in multiple files using awk

Hi, filenames: contains name of list of files to search in. placelist contains the names of places to be searched in all files in "filenames" for i in $(<filenames) do egrep -f placelist $i if ] then echo $i fi done >> outputfile Output i am getting: (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract multiple cloumns from multiple files; skip rows and include filenames; awk

Hello, I am trying to write a bash shell script that does the following: 1.Finds all *.txt files within my directory of interest 2. reads each of the files (25 files) one by one (tab-delimited format and have the same data format) 3. skips the first 10 rows of the file 4. extracts and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manishabh
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

best method of replacing multiple strings in multiple files - sed or awk? most simple preferred :)

Hi guys, say I have a few files in a directory (58 text files or somthing) each one contains mulitple strings that I wish to replace with other strings so in these 58 files I'm looking for say the following strings: JAM (replace with BUTTER) BREAD (replace with CRACKER) SCOOP (replace... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: rich@ardz
19 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using AWK: Extract data from multiple files and output to multiple new files

Hi, I'd like to process multiple files. For example: file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt Each file contains several lines of data. I want to extract a piece of data and output it to a new file. file1.txt ----> newfile1.txt file2.txt ----> newfile2.txt file3.txt ----> newfile3.txt Here is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Liverpaul09
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo multiple variable with calculation

$total=500 echo "scale=2; $val1*100/$total" | bc echo "scale=2; $val2*100*100/$total" | bc echo "scale=2; $val3*100/$total" | bc I want to make the above code to be accomplish in a single echo line. For instance output:21.3, 44.2, 51.6 How to achieve that, some one please help, i just... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alvin0618
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

perform 3 awk commands to multiple files in multiple directories

Hi, I have a directory /home/datasets/ which contains a bunch (720) of subdirectories called hour_1/ hour_2/ etc..etc.. in each of these there is a single text file called (hour_1.txt in hour_1/ , hour_2.txt for hour_2/ etc..etc..) and i would like to do some text processing in them. Each of... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: amarn
20 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk, multiple files input and multiple files output

Hi! I'm new in awk and I need some help. I have a folder with a lot of files and I need that awk do something in each file and print a new file with the output. The input file name should be modified when I print the outpu files. Thanks in advance for help! :-) ciao (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabrysfe
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple Column Calculation

Hallo Team, I need you you help. I need to sum up all the columns in a .csv file. Lets call the file file1.csv and it looks like below: $ cat file1.csv... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kekanap
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk split and awk calculation in the same command

I am trying to run the awk below. My question is when I split the input, then run anotherawk to perform a calculation using that splitas the input there are no issues. When I try to combine them the output is not correct, is the split not working or did I do it wrong? Thank you :). input ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
8 Replies
csv(n)								  CSV processing							    csv(n)

NAME
csv - Procedures to handle CSV data. SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.3 package require csv ?0.3? ::csv::join values {sepChar ,} ::csv::joinlist values {sepChar ,} ::csv::read2matrix chan m {sepChar ,} {expand none} ::csv::read2queue chan q {sepChar ,} ::csv::report cmd matrix ?chan? ::csv::split line {sepChar ,} ::csv::split2matrix m line {sepChar ,} {expand none} ::csv::split2queue q line {sepChar ,} ::csv::writematrix m chan {sepChar ,} ::csv::writequeue q chan {sepChar ,} DESCRIPTION
The csv package provides commands to manipulate information in CSV FORMAT (CSV = Comma Separated Values). COMMANDS
The following commands are available: ::csv::join values {sepChar ,} Takes a list of values and returns a string in CSV format containing these values. The separator character can be defined by the caller, but this is optional. The default is ",". ::csv::joinlist values {sepChar ,} Takes a list of lists of values and returns a string in CSV format containing these values. The separator character can be defined by the caller, but this is optional. The default is ",". Each element of the outer list is considered a record, these are separated by newlines in the result. The elements of each record are formatted as usual (via ::csv::join). ::csv::read2matrix chan m {sepChar ,} {expand none} A wrapper around ::csv::split2matrix (see below) reading CSV-formatted lines from the specified channel (until EOF) and adding them to the given matrix. For an explanation of the expand argument see ::csv::split2matrix. ::csv::read2queue chan q {sepChar ,} A wrapper around ::csv::split2queue (see below) reading CSV-formatted lines from the specified channel (until EOF) and adding them to the given queue. ::csv::report cmd matrix ?chan? A report command which can be used by the matrix methods format 2string and format 2chan. For the latter this command delegates the work to ::csv::writematrix. cmd is expected to be either printmatrix or printmatrix2channel. The channel argument, chan, has to be present for the latter and must not be present for the first. ::csv::split line {sepChar ,} converts a line in CSV format into a list of the values contained in the line. The character used to separate the values from each other can be defined by the caller, via sepChar, but this is optional. The default is ",". ::csv::split2matrix m line {sepChar ,} {expand none} The same as ::csv::split, but appends the resulting list as a new row to the matrix m, using the method add row. The expansion mode specified via expand determines how the command handles a matrix with less columns than contained in line. The allowed modes are: none This is the default mode. In this mode it is the responsibility of the caller to ensure that the matrix has enough columns to contain the full line. If there are not enough columns the list of values is silently truncated at the end to fit. empty In this mode the command expands an empty matrix to hold all columns of the specified line, but goes no further. The overall effect is that the first of a series of lines determines the number of columns in the matrix and all following lines are truncated to that size, as if mode none was set. auto In this mode the command expands the matrix as needed to hold all columns contained in line. The overall effect is that after adding a series of lines the matrix will have enough columns to hold all columns of the longest line encountered so far. ::csv::split2queue q line {sepChar ,} The same as ::csv::split, but appending the resulting list as a single item to the queue q, using the method put. ::csv::writematrix m chan {sepChar ,} A wrapper around ::csv::join taking all rows in the matrix m and writing them CSV formatted into the channel chan. ::csv::writequeue q chan {sepChar ,} A wrapper around ::csv::join taking all items in the queue q (assumes that they are lists) and writing them CSV formatted into the channel chan. FORMAT
Each record of a csv file (comma-separated values, as exported e.g. by Excel) is a set of ASCII values separated by ",". For other lan- guages it may be ";" however, although this is not important for this case (The functions provided here allow any separator character). If a value contains itself the separator ",", then it (the value) is put between "". If a value contains ", it is replaced by "". EXAMPLE
The record 123,"123,521.2","Mary says ""Hello, I am Mary""" is parsed as follows: a) 123 b) 123,521.2 c) Mary says "Hello, I am Mary" SEE ALSO
matrix, queue KEYWORDS
csv, matrix, queue, package, tcllib csv 0.3 csv(n)