Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting perform some operation on a specific coulmn starting from a specific line Post 302444282 by bartus11 on Wednesday 11th of August 2010 11:53:44 AM
Old 08-11-2010
Code:
awk 'NR==7{min=$3;max=$3}NR>7{if ($3>max){max=$3};if ($3<min){min=$3}}END{print "min: "min" max: "max}' file

This User Gave Thanks to bartus11 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perform a set of actions for a specific file type

Hello, I have a problem that I'm having quite a bit of trouble with. I am trying to create a script that performs a specific sequence of actions for a file of a specific type. This is an abbreviated version of my basic script: #!/bin/sh #coulombic calculations... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: oehtus
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to perform Grep on many Gzip files, Searching for Specific information

Hello, I am wondering if you can assist with my question and ask kindly for this. I have a number of files that are listed as file1.gz through file100.gz. I am trying to perform a grep on the files and find a specific date that only resides within within one of the files. There are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: legharb
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace value with double quotes of specific coulmn value in csv file

Hi, I am trying to replace a specific column values in a csv file with double quotes. Example: SNO,NAME,ZIPCODE,RANK 1,Robert,74538,12 2,Sam,07564,13 3,Kim, Ed,12345,14 Desired Output: SNO,NAME,ZIPCODE,RANK 1,Robert Ken,74538,12 2,Sam Mik,"07564",13 3,"Kim, Ed",12345,14 I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: techmoris
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

using sed to replace a specific string on a specific line number using variables

using sed to replace a specific string on a specific line number using variables this is where i am at grep -v WARNING output | grep -v spawn | grep -v Passphrase | grep -v Authentication | grep -v '/sbin/tfadmin netguard -C'| grep -v 'NETWORK>' >> output.clean grep -n Destination... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: todd.cutting
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk to read a specific line and a specific field on that line.

Say the input was as follows: Brat 20 x 1000 32rf Pour 15 p 1621 05pr Dart 10 z 1111 22xx My program prompts for an input, what I want is to use the input to locate a specific field. Like if I type in, "Pou" then it would return "Pour" and just "Pour" I currently have this line but it is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bungkai
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace specific field on specific line sed or awk

I'm trying to update a text file via sed/awk, after a lot of searching I still can't find a code snippet that I can get to work. Brief overview: I have user input a line to a variable, I then find a specific value in this line 10th field in this case. After asking for new input and doing some... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: crownedzero
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

perform actions at specific locations in data frame

Hi everyone, I got a data frame like the one below and and would like to do the following: Ignore the first 3 rows and check in all following rows the second position. If the value is >500, subtract 100. Example DF: ABC 22 DE 12 BCD 223 GH 12 EFG 2104 DH ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TuAd
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract specific line in an html file starting and ending with specific pattern to a text file

Hi This is my first post and I'm just a beginner. So please be nice to me. I have a couple of html files where a pattern beginning with "http://www.site.com" and ending with "/resource.dat" is present on every 241st line. How do I extract this to a new text file? I have tried sed -n 241,241p... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: dejavo
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Overwrite specific column in xml file with the specific column from adjacent line

I have an xml file dumped from rrd file, that I want to "patch" so the xml file doesn't contain any blank hole in the resulting graph of the rrd file. Here is the file. <!-- 2015-10-12 14:00:00 WIB / 1444633200 --> <row><v> 4.0419731265e+07 </v><v> 4.5045912770e+06... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rk4k
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count specific character of a file in each line and delete this character in a specific position

I will appreciate if you help me here in this script in Solaris Enviroment. Scenario: i have 2 files : 1) /tmp/TRANSACTIONS_DAILY_20180730.txt: 201807300000000004 201807300000000005 201807300000000006 201807300000000007 201807300000000008 2)... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: teokon90
10 Replies
CUT(1)							      General Commands Manual							    CUT(1)

NAME
cut - select out columns of a file SYNOPSIS
cut [ -b | -c] list [file...] cut -f list [-d delim] [ -s] OPTIONS
-b Cut specified bytes -c Select out specific characters -d Change the column delimiter to delim -f Select out specific fields that are separated by the -i Runs of delimiters count as one -s Suppres lines with no delimiter characters, when used EXAMPLES
cut -f 2 file # Extract field 2 cut -c 1-2,5 file # Extract character columns 1, 2, and 5 cut -c 1-5,7- file # Extract all columns except 6 DESCRIPTION
[file...]" delimiter character ( see delim)" with the -f option. Lines with no delimiters are passwd through untouched" Cut extracts one or more fields or columns from a file and writes them on standard output. If the -f flag is used, the fields are sepa- rated by a delimiter character, normally a tab, but can be changed using the -d flag. If the -c flag is used, specific columns can be specified. The list can be comma or BLANK separated. The -f and -c flags are mutually exclusive. Note: The POSIX1003.2 standard requires the option -b to cut out specific bytes in a file. It is intended for systems with multi byte characters (e.g. kanji), since MINIX uses only one byte characters, this option is equivalent to -c. For the same reason, the option -n has no effect and is not listed in this man- ual page. SEE ALSO
sed(1), awk(9). CUT(1)