Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX ORACLE Database running slow on AIX ( nmon / topas ) Post 302444168 by filosophizer on Wednesday 11th of August 2010 05:26:53 AM
Old 08-11-2010
Upgrade memory or Processor

This is an old machine running AIX 5.2 on P4

running an ORACLE Query and then running the command

sar 1 20

gives the idle time between 1 - 20

otherwise the idle time is 99

The memory is 4GB

How to know if it is processor issue or upgrading memory from 4GB to 16GB will speed up the ORACLE Queries.

As far as I know all the processing takes place in the memory.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Memory usage statistic? (topas, nmon)

hi, how can i diplay: - the ammount RAM used /free - ammount of ram used from a pid or prozess we have the problem, that malloc is returing a NULL pointer errno = 12 ( not enough space). but i think there is still ram free. nmon : shows all memory used ? Memory Use Physical Virtual... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lazzar
7 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

skgpspawn failed running oracle db 9.2.0.5.0 on aix 5.3

Hi, I am running an oracle db 9.2.0.5.0 on ibm p5 550 aix 5.3 with 10g ram, 10G swap space 3 database instances each SGA about 500Meg. I am getting the following error in my alert log file from time to time: skgpspawn failed:category = 27142, depinfo = 11, op = fork, loc = skgpspawn3 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hawkerpacific
0 Replies

3. AIX

nmon vs topas

good morning what is the better solution to examen a P570 ? because i use topas and nmon, and the results are totally different !!! with nmon, i have 80% free cpu, and with nmon, i have 90% of used cpu !!!!!! i take a shot with an intervall of 10s during 10 mn. thank you (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pascalbout
0 Replies

4. AIX

Top command in AIX 4.2 (no topas, no nmon, no top)?

Is there a 'top' command equivalent in AIX 4.2 ? I already checked and I do not see the following ones anywhere: top nmon topas (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
1 Replies

5. Solaris

what is the command to see which database ie..oracle in running on solaris 10

what is the command to see which database ie..oracle in running on solaris 10 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tv.praveenkumar
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running script automatically when threshold limit met in one of the field in oracle database

Hi Guys, Need you help in one point! I am working on one shell script which takes following steps : 1. Taking one query result from oracle database 2. Exporting that result to Xls file 3. Mailing that file to my own mail ID Now, I want to give a threshold limit to one of the column... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Agupte
0 Replies

7. AIX

Need to check long running processes on the database server and the os is AIX

Hello, Please help me with a script with which I can check long running processes on the database server and the os is AIX. Best regards, Vishal (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
5 Replies

8. AIX

AIX server running very slow

Hello, All the commands on AIX are running very slow. Below is few stats but I didn't find any issue in cpu or memory reosurces vmstat System configuration: lcpu=4 mem=6144MB ent=1.00 kthr memory page faults cpu ----- -----------... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
2 Replies
glutIdleFunc(3GLUT)						       GLUT						       glutIdleFunc(3GLUT)

NAME
glutIdleFunc - sets the global idle callback. SYNTAX
#include <GLUT/glut.h> void glutIdleFunc(void (*func)(void)); ARGUMENTS
func The new idle callback function. DESCRIPTION
glutIdleFunc sets the global idle callback to be func so a GLUT program can perform background processing tasks or continuous animation when window system events are not being received. If enabled, the idle callback is continuously called when events are not being received. The callback routine has no parameters. The current window and current menu will not be changed before the idle callback. Programs with multiple windows and/or menus should explicitly set the current window and/or current menu and not rely on its current setting. The amount of computation and rendering done in an idle callback should be minimized to avoid affecting the program's interactive response. In general, not more than a single frame of rendering should be done in an idle callback. Passing NULL to glutIdleFunc disables the generation of the idle callback. EXAMPLE
A typical idle callback to animate a window might look like: void idle(void) { time += 0.05; glutSetWindow(window); glutPostRedisplay(); } Notice how the idle callback does not do any actual drawing; it only advances the time scene state global variable. That is left to the window's display callback which will be triggered by the call to glutPostRedisplay. If you use the idle callback for animation, you should be sure to stop rendering when the window is not visible. This is easy to set up with a visibility callback. For example: void visible(int vis) { if (vis == GLUT_VISIBLE) glutIdleFunc(idle); else glutIdleFunc(NULL); } If you do use the idle callback for animation, one thing you should not do is setup the idle callback before calling glutMainLoop. It is much better to use the visibility callback to install idle callback when the window first becomes visible on the screen. SEE ALSO
glutTimerFunc, glutVisibilityFunc AUTHOR
Mark J. Kilgard (mjk@nvidia.com) GLUT
3.7 glutIdleFunc(3GLUT)