Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers list all files containing 4 digit number using grep Post 302444083 by hobiwhenuknowme on Wednesday 11th of August 2010 12:39:56 AM
Old 08-11-2010
Raj,
thanks for the effort buddy.
unfortunately there is no output on the screen despite the fact that some files do have
4 digit numbers.
doesn't work.

---------- Post updated at 11:39 PM ---------- Previous update was at 11:36 PM ----------

guruprasad,
when i am in my home directory after i do cd ~, i have files in my home directory that contain numbers that are 4 digits long.
all i am trying to do i list the files that have 4 digit long numbers, what line they are on within the file and what are the numbers themselves, all this without outputting out the entire line.

---------- Post updated at 11:39 PM ---------- Previous update was at 11:39 PM ----------

i am a beginner user, using putty.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting 10 digit number from txt files

Hi, Was wondering if you could give me an example of extracting a 10 digit number from 5 txt files using a regular expression (the number is always different ) and storing the numbers in variables Thanks C19 (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: c19h28O2
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

adding a 6 digit number retaining 0s on the left

i am new to shell scripting. i want to keep on increamenting a 6 digit number. For eg. 000000 + 1 = 000001 But instead of 000001 i get only 1. How do i do this ? Pls help. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kanchan_cp
8 Replies

3. Programming

generating 16 digit random number in C

Hi, How can we generate 16 digit random nos in C. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaysahoo
10 Replies

4. Programming

Find out 2^n+1 , where n is a 3 digit number

I have to write a c program which takes a 3 digit number n and calculates the value of (2^n)+1 and then determines the number is prime or not. I have tried to first calculate the value of 2^n and then adding one to it and then apply the logic of prime number. but the ultimate problem is that... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: agrawal.prachi
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep specific number from a list of numbers

Hello. I have 9060 files labelled File1 to File9060. They are in numerical order. When I grep a file eg. File90 it will show me all files that contain the pattern "File90", eg File901 or File9001. I can only get specific files for File1000 or higher. How can I resolve this problem? Is there a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: godzilla07
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print a number up to last significant digit after decimal point

I want to write/print a number through a shell script up to its last significant digit (LSD) after the decimal point. Say, x=10.00056000000000000 I want to print x as x=10.00056. Note that x can be any thing so I cannot know the position of the LSD always. Thanks. (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: hbar
16 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare specific digit in number?

Dear All, Lets say I have a number with following format: ####.12e-## now I want to compare place holder in position 1 and 2. How can I do that? Note: My number is stored in a variable say var. example: var=9999.12e-05 Thanks & Regards, linuxUser_ (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxUser_
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

List files with number to select based on number

Hi experts, I am using KSH and I am need to display file with number in front of file names and user can select it by entering the number. I am trying to use following command to display list with numbers. but I do not know how to capture number and identify what file it is to be used for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mysocks
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Process only 4 digit odd number starting with zero

I am trying to process only IonCode_odd #'s (always 4 digits starting with zero), but the below isn't working as expected. Is there a better way? Thank you :). IonCode_0401_xxxx_xxxx_xxxx.bam IonCode_0401_xxxx_xxxx_xxxx.bam.bai IonCode_0401_xxxx_xxxx_xxxx.fastq... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

I need to find in a file a list of number where last two digit end in a range

I all I am tryng to find a way to sort a list of number in a file by the value of last two digit. i have a list like this 313202320388 333202171199 373202164587 393202143736 323202132208 353201918107 343201887399 363201810249 333201805043 353201791691 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rattoeur
7 Replies
GENBACKUPDATA(1)					      General Commands Manual						  GENBACKUPDATA(1)

NAME
genbackupdata - generate backup test data SYNOPSIS
genbackupdata [--chunk-size=SIZE] [--config=FILE] [-c=SIZE] [--create=SIZE] [--depth=DEPTH] [--dump-config] [--dump-setting-names] [--file-size=SIZE] [--generate-manpage=TEMPLATE] [-h] [--help] [--list-config-files] [--log=FILE] [--log-keep=N] [--log-level=LEVEL] [--log-max=SIZE] [--max-files=MAX-FILES] [--no-default-configs] [--output=FILE] [--quiet] [--seed=SEED] [--version] DESCRIPTION
genbackupdata generates test data sets for performance testing of backup software. It creates a directory tree filled with files of dif- ferent sizes. The total size and the distribution of sizes between small and big are configurable. The program can also modify an exist- ing directory tree by creating new files, and deleting, renaming, or modifying existing files. This can be used to generate test data for successive generations of backups. The program is deterministic: with a given set of parameters (and a given pre-existing directory tree), it always creates the same output. This way, it is possible to reproduce backup tests exactly, without having to distribute the potentially very large test sets. The data set consists of plain files and directories. Files are either small text files or big binary files. Text files contain the "lorem ipsum" stanza, binary files contain randomly generated byte streams. The percentage of file data that is small text or big binary files can be set, as can the sizes of the respective file types. Files and directories are named "fileXXXX" or "dirXXXX", where "XXXX" is a successive integer, separate successions for files and directo- ries. There is an upper limit to how many files a directory may contain. After the file limit is reached, a new sub-directory is created. The first set of files go into the root directory of the test set. You have to give one of the options --create, --delete, --rename, or --modify for the program to do anything. You can, however, give more than one of them, if DIR already exists. (Giving the same option more than once means that only the last instance is counted.) (DIR) is created if it doesn't exist already. OPTIONS
--chunk-size=SIZE generate data in chunks of this size (default: 16384) --config=FILE add FILE to config files -c, --create=SIZE how much data to create (default: 0) --depth=DEPTH depth of directory tree (default: 3) --dump-config write out the entire current configuration --dump-setting-names write out all names of settings and quit --file-size=SIZE size of one file (default: 16384) --generate-manpage=TEMPLATE fill in manual page TEMPLATE -h, --help show this help message and exit --list-config-files list all possible config files --log=FILE write log entries to FILE --log-keep=N keep last N logs (10) --log-level=LEVEL log at LEVEL, one of debug, info, warning, error, critical, fatal (default: debug) --log-max=SIZE rotate logs larger than SIZE, zero for never (default: 0) --max-files=MAX-FILES max files/dirs per dir (default: 128) --no-default-configs clear list of configuration files to read --output=FILE write output to FILE, instead of standard output --quiet do not report progress --seed=SEED seed for random number generator (default: 0) --version show program's version number and exit EXAMPLES
Create data for the first generation of a backup: genbackupdata --create=10G testdir Modify an existing set of backup data to create a new generation: genbackupdata -c 5% -d 2% -m 5% -r 0.5% testdir The above command can be run for each new generation. GENBACKUPDATA(1)