Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers locate special characters and digits using grep Post 302444040 by hobiwhenuknowme on Tuesday 10th of August 2010 08:08:11 PM
Old 08-10-2010
thanks anbu,
but if i were to add a line : doing"today"here to my file test,
it won't print that line out since the double quote isn't at the end of sentence.

---------- Post updated at 07:08 PM ---------- Previous update was at 06:54 PM ----------

i found my mistake.
for the future, the solution is
egrep '"|[0-9]$' test
this selects lines that either have " or end with a digit.
appreciate the help though.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep with Special Characters

I need to sort a file, the sort is not a alphabetical sort, it's based on a predefined order which is read from a file called fSortOrder. The format of the fSortOrder file is : STARTPATH" .... .... The file that needs to be sorted is called tmpUnsorted and contains data in the format : ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vashj
6 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

grep with special characters

Hi there I need to grep for a detail from a file. The pattern to search for involves escape sequences in it. This causes for the problem. grep "P\_SOME\_STRING\_SEARCH" filename Note, I have line like below in the file and expect it to grep. select * from my_system_param ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: guruparan18
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep not working - special characters??

I have a file that I am processing with a while loop from, in come cases the grep/sed command (strings record | grep “errorDetail” | sed 's&*errorDetail\(.*)\(/errorDetail\).*&\1&') works and produces the data I am after and in some it does not. I have inspected the data within the failing... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gugs
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using GREP for special characters

Hi folks I am issuing the following command: grep "" * Looking for the characters \/:*?"<>|#+%& within all files in a directory, but the command fails being unhappy with pipe: ksh: 0403-057 Syntax error: `|' is not expected. How do I force the command to take the pipe | ? I guess... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: daveaasmith
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching regular expressions with special characters like dot using grep

hi everybody I am a new user to this forum and its previous posts have been very useful. I'm searching in a file using grep for patterns like 12.13.444 55.44.443 i.e. of form <digit><digit>.<digit><digit>.<digit><digit><digit> Can anybody help me with this. Thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jpriyank
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED equivalent for grep -w -f with pattern having special characters

I'm looking for SED equivalent for grep -w -f. All I want is to search a list of patterns from a file. Also If the pattern doesn't match I do not want "null returned", rather I would prefer some text as place holder say "BLANK LINE" as I intend to process the output file based on line number. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: novice_man
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep with special Characters

Need Help For GREP I have a file say g1.txt and content of file is below REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" /v NoDrives /t REG_DWORD /d 4 /f , REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" /v NoClose /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f ,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jalpasoni
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there anyway to grep any special characters from a file ?

Is there any command or shell script to grep any special character from a file ? I have a huge file containing millions of user names; the requirement is to find names containing special characters. #!/bin/bash for i in `cat username.txt` do #COMMAND to grep special character done ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: poga
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep lines having special characters

Hi, I have a file which has numerous lines and some of the lines having special characters in it. i want to grep the lines which are having special characters. say, one line looks like - %*()$#@"", | acbd antoher line looks like ***##^%! | efcg so these kind of lines are present... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbalaj16
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep exact match without period or other special characters

If I have a file like the following abc.1 abc abc_1 abc..1 abc*1 abc@1 abc def ghr def...... ddef 5466 def ed def** 123445 I`m trying to find exact words from the list abc def (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ritakadm
4 Replies
OD(1)								   User Commands							     OD(1)

NAME
od - dump files in octal and other formats SYNOPSIS
od [OPTION]... [FILE]... od [-abcdfilosx]... [FILE] [[+]OFFSET[.][b]] od --traditional [OPTION]... [FILE] [[+]OFFSET[.][b] [+][LABEL][.][b]] DESCRIPTION
Write an unambiguous representation, octal bytes by default, of FILE to standard output. With more than one FILE argument, concatenate them in the listed order to form the input. With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input. If first and second call formats both apply, the second format is assumed if the last operand begins with + or (if there are 2 operands) a digit. An OFFSET operand means -j OFFSET. LABEL is the pseudo-address at first byte printed, incremented when dump is progressing. For OFFSET and LABEL, a 0x or 0X prefix indicates hexadecimal; suffixes may be . for octal and b for multiply by 512. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -A, --address-radix=RADIX output format for file offsets; RADIX is one of [doxn], for Decimal, Octal, Hex or None -j, --skip-bytes=BYTES skip BYTES input bytes first -N, --read-bytes=BYTES limit dump to BYTES input bytes -S BYTES, --strings[=BYTES] output strings of at least BYTES graphic chars; 3 is implied when BYTES is not specified -t, --format=TYPE select output format or formats -v, --output-duplicates do not use * to mark line suppression -w[BYTES], --width[=BYTES] output BYTES bytes per output line; 32 is implied when BYTES is not specified --traditional accept arguments in third form above --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit Traditional format specifications may be intermixed; they accumulate: -a same as -t a, select named characters, ignoring high-order bit -b same as -t o1, select octal bytes -c same as -t c, select printable characters or backslash escapes -d same as -t u2, select unsigned decimal 2-byte units -f same as -t fF, select floats -i same as -t dI, select decimal ints -l same as -t dL, select decimal longs -o same as -t o2, select octal 2-byte units -s same as -t d2, select decimal 2-byte units -x same as -t x2, select hexadecimal 2-byte units TYPE is made up of one or more of these specifications: a named character, ignoring high-order bit c printable character or backslash escape d[SIZE] signed decimal, SIZE bytes per integer f[SIZE] floating point, SIZE bytes per integer o[SIZE] octal, SIZE bytes per integer u[SIZE] unsigned decimal, SIZE bytes per integer x[SIZE] hexadecimal, SIZE bytes per integer SIZE is a number. For TYPE in [doux], SIZE may also be C for sizeof(char), S for sizeof(short), I for sizeof(int) or L for sizeof(long). If TYPE is f, SIZE may also be F for sizeof(float), D for sizeof(double) or L for sizeof(long double). Adding a z suffix to any type displays printable characters at the end of each output line. BYTES is hex with 0x or 0X prefix, and may have a multiplier suffix: b 512 KB 1000 K 1024 MB 1000*1000 M 1024*1024 and so on for G, T, P, E, Z, Y. GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report od translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> EXAMPLES
od -A x -t x1z -v Display hexdump format output od -A o -t oS -w16 The default output format used by od AUTHOR
Written by Jim Meyering. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2013 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for od is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and od programs are properly installed at your site, the com- mand info coreutils 'od invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 8.22 June 2014 OD(1)