Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers kill a command I am running / then put it to background Post 302444034 by hindesite on Tuesday 10th of August 2010 07:18:42 PM
Old 08-10-2010
Thanks - this works.

- hindesite

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

kill PID running in background in for loop

Guys, can you help me in killing the process which is running in back ground under for loop I am not able to find the PID using ps -afx|grep <word in command I entered> (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohan_xunil
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Kill snoops running in background

Hi, I want to run 2 snoop commands in the background and would like to be able to kill them when I want to. What is the best way to do that at the command line? if I do a fg at the terminal, will that bring only the snoop that I got running myself so I stop them with a CTRL_C or will that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

command to see process running at background

Hi , I want to see all the background process that are running in unix box machine...please guide me is there any specific command for that..since I am executing some scripts at background..!!:confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nks342
1 Replies

4. Solaris

running command in background

hi all i am running following command ufsdump 0ubf 512 /dev/rmt/0cbn /database/backup2/rman_backup/level1 >> /database/backup2/backup_tape/level1_rman_03aug12 2>&1; i want to run it in background how can i do it in this i am generating logs for backup. the problem occurs when i am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil kasar
3 Replies

5. Linux

Not able to put ls -lR command in background

Hi All, i am trying to put ls -lRt command to run in the background but it fails. i continue to get output on screen and didnt get the command prompt right after i put the command in background. command i am using is ls -lRt & i am using bash. Can someone let me know how to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: omkar.jadhav
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to know all the Current running process and how to kill

All, 1.What is the unix comand used for all current running process (Including All current running processes Parent ->child->subchild process) 2.If child and subchild processes are running then what is the unix command to kill parent and its all child subchild processes in UNIX. Kindly... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: skp
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sudo ssh with command running in background

I am trying to run a command. This is one of my attempts: for i in fileservera; do ssh -t $i 'sudo ls /';doneThis works, and I see the directories. However, what I want to do now is start a process on the remote server such as /usr/bin/connectproc -standalonesudo /usr/bin/connectproc... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Idle command to kill the process running n unx box machine

Hi Team , I have one process named as cec_analysiseool that is running on unix box machine now i want to kill this process so please advise what will be the ideal command to kill this , what i have tried is :confused: kill -9 `ps -ef | grep cec_analysiseool | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}'` (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclesamm
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Put currently running script into background

Hi All, Suppose I have a script and inside it I want/need to put it into background. I need the script to not react to SIGHUP signals. I tried: #!/bin/bash echo "" > test_disown mypid=$$ echo "PID=$mypid" ( kill -SIGSTOP $mypid jobs > myjobs #disown -h <job-spec> #kill -SIGCONT $mypid )... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: JackK
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Htop - How to detect exact command running at background

Hello, I am running a python file from terminal and I wish to see which code is running at background. When I use htop, I see just a few commands, unable to see entire command. htop > report nano report Output: ^ Following parts of ffmpeg line is not shown by htop. Just showing... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
7 Replies
XSETROOT(1)						      General Commands Manual						       XSETROOT(1)

NAME
xsetroot - root window parameter setting utility for X SYNOPSIS
xsetroot [-help] [-def] [-display display] [-cursor cursorfile maskfile] [-cursor_name cursorname] [-bitmap filename] [-mod x y] [-gray] [-grey] [-fg color] [-bg color] [-rv] [-solid color] [-name string] DESCRIPTION
The xsetroot program allows you to tailor the appearance of the background ("root") window on a workstation display running X. Normally, you experiment with xsetroot until you find a personalized look that you like, then put the xsetroot command that produces it into your X startup file. If no options are specified, or if -def is specified, the window is reset to its default state. The -def option can be specified along with other options and only the non-specified characteristics will be reset to the default state. Only one of the background color/tiling changing options (-solid, -gray, -grey, -bitmap, and -mod) may be specified at a time. OPTIONS
The various options are as follows: -help Print a usage message and exit. -def Reset unspecified attributes to the default values. (Restores the background to the familiar gray mesh and the cursor to the hollow x shape.) -cursor cursorfile maskfile This lets you change the pointer cursor to whatever you want when the pointer cursor is outside of any window. Cursor and mask files are bitmaps (little pictures), and can be made with the bitmap(1) program. You probably want the mask file to be all black until you get used to the way masks work. -cursor_name cursorname This lets you change the pointer cursor to one of the standard cursors from the cursor font. Refer to appendix B of the X protocol for the names (except that the XC_ prefix is elided for this option). -bitmap filename Use the bitmap specified in the file to set the window pattern. You can make your own bitmap files (little pictures) using the bit- map(1) program. The entire background will be made up of repeated "tiles" of the bitmap. -mod x y This is used if you want a plaid-like grid pattern on your screen. x and y are integers ranging from 1 to 16. Try the different combinations. Zero and negative numbers are taken as 1. -gray Make the entire background gray. (Easier on the eyes.) -grey Make the entire background grey. -fg color Use ``color'' as the foreground color. Foreground and background colors are meaningful only in combination with -cursor, -bitmap, or -mod. -bg color Use ``color'' as the background color. -rv This exchanges the foreground and background colors. Normally the foreground color is black and the background color is white. -solid color This sets the background of the root window to the specified color. This option is only useful on color servers. -name string Set the name of the root window to ``string''. There is no default value. Usually a name is assigned to a window so that the win- dow manager can use a text representation when the window is iconified. This option is unused since you can't iconify the back- ground. -display display Specifies the server to connect to; see X(7). SEE ALSO
X(7), xset(1), xrdb(1) AUTHOR
Mark Lillibridge, MIT Project Athena X Version 11 xsetroot 1.0.2 XSETROOT(1)